Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My traps wont grow, please help!!!!

JD2001

I do 4 sets of dumbell shrugs at 20 reps. I start out at 25% weight, 2nd set 50% weight, 3rd set 75% weight and 4th set 100% weight. List your trap training routine

3 sets heavy BB 6-8 reps
3 sets heavy DB 6-8 reps
1 flush set 15-20 reps DB

Traps are stubborn if you aren't gifted with them naturally (much like calves). Be strict with form and sqeeze at the top. Do your reps fairly slow and controlled, no jerking the weight up using lower body or biceps. Full range of motion is important too.

A good intensity technique I like to use with traps is achieving isometric failure. Hold at the top on your last rep until you can hold no longer. (If you really do this, it's quite painful...no pussy shit here.) Try it sometime.

Starts with bar shrugs, pyramid up to working weight for 3 sets, 20 reps.
Last set is a drop set for 20's, -90 lbs, then -90 lbs, no rest (i.e 20/20/20 ).
Next is dummy shrugs, 1 drop set, 20's, drop 10 lbs ea time, 3 drops (4 if still conscious).
Last is machine shrugs, with bench press machine, or standing in the shoulder press machine, 3 single sets.

GK, good call in the holding technique, will try to incorporate next w/o.

On shrugs, make sure your moving traps straight up and down, get a good squeeze on top of your motion. Never do a rowing motion.

Player

Player- also a good point. Rolling motion may not inhibit growth per se, but it's no good for your shoulder joint.

Try flexing your traps hard before your first set, btw. I found that really pulling my shoulders up to my ear before my first set showed me how little I was going up when I had the weight in my hand. I got stricter about that and my traps have started progressing very well.

Deadlifts kicks ass all the way around! :)

Shrugs, I use the "triangle bar/shrug bar", load it up to 405 at the top end. 1 - 225 / 15 2 - 315 6/8 with resistance, 3 (same as 2) 4 - 405 6/8 with resistance at the end. 5 - Same as 4.

For real... Try the bar man it is da shit!

The truth is that shrugs are not as effective as ppl think. Most of the time, your other muscles fail before traps. You need to grip the weight, the stress goes to your forearms, biceps, triceps, rotator cuff, shoulders, and then your traps.

The best is definately, deads, t-bar rows, BB rows (Overhand), and cable rows. Only after you have completed your back workout(including some of those exercises) should you do shrugs.

Deadlifts, Cleans, and Farmer's Walks.

Go heavy on the deads, moderate on the cleans, and really heavy on the farmers. For farmers walks I will make my dumbbells anywhere from 100-220lbs and walk at least 60 feet with them as fast as I can. It trains my grip too. Trust me...my neck has grown an extra inch or more in the past 3 months from this stuff.

B True

I personally think that upright rows will help quite a bit if you throw them into your workout. I do traps along with delts and try to change my workout up a little bit each time. Here's a fairly typical one for me:

3 sets barbell military press to chest
3 sets upright rows (bring the bar all the way to your chin and squeeze your traps at the top)
3 sets lateral dumbell raise
3 sets rear flyes
3 sets dumbell shrugs

I shoot for about 6-10 reps on each set. I don't grow if I do much more volume than this. Also, I think somebody already said this, but don't rotate your shoulders when doing shrugs. You may get a better "squeeze" with this type of motion, but it is hard on your rotator cuff.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom