Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

rippetoe journal, new to this, please comment and advice.

lanny said:
back to the novice thread,

Monday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips - 2 x 8-15
GHR - 2 x 12-15
Abs

Wednesday - Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5
Pull from floor (rows 3x5 or cleans 5x3)
Pullups/chins - 2 x 8-15 (3 sets if you do the cleans)
Abs

Friday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips - 2 x 8-15
Curls - 2 x 8-12
TriEx - 2 x 8-12

wat are GHR, Curls and TriEx? and when do i add them?

do i add them now seeing that my squat is begun to slow down, so that i have more strength for it? or do i NOT add them seeing that i'm slowing down on squats so i can have more strength to work on squats?

i'm just confused...

I found the original Rippetoe 3 x 5 program and you seem to have added some other stuff in there that isn't necessary.

Here is the link to the program and how it's laid out.
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=13263164&postcount=3

Workout A
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench Press
1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
3x5 Squat
3x5 Standing military press
3x5 Power cleans (or rows form floor)

You train on 3 nonconsecutive days per week.

So week 1 might look like:
Monday - Workout A
Wednesday - Workout B
Friday - Workout A

Week 2:
Monday - Workout B
Wednesday - Workout A
Friday - Workout B

This workout concentrates on increasing weight with your core lifts which will make you grow. Why do you want too add all that other stuff in there?

i didn't add them, from the novice thread i was doing, its said to add when the work outs seem to insufficient..

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

its under the Accessory Exercises

whether or not i have it, its up to me... cuz the 3 exercise are beginning to feel not enuff, none of the accessory exercises hit my legs, so it doesn't effect my squats..

this is day 10

- Squat -

bar x 10
65 x 1 x 5
95 x 1 x 5
115 x 1 x 5
135 x 1 x 5
150 x 3 x 5

i think i found the problem why i was struggling with 145, i think it was the 10 min jog. "if IT post a problem then IT must go", so IT was let go of. haha!!

- OHP -

bar x 10
55 x 1 x 5
65 x 1 x 5
70 x 1 x 5
70 + 0.5kg (each side) x 3 x 5

i couldn't hit 75, it'll be suicidal, so the least i could was add something. still, legs front n back.

- Pendley Rows -

bar x 10
55 x 1 x 5
65 x 1 x 5
75 x 1 x 5
85 x 1 x 5
95 x 3 x 5

- chin ups -
3 x 5

- hyper extension -
3 x 20

- dips -
3 x 5

i just wanted to try the dips, and i also tried the straight barbell curl, i dont know how heavy it weighs. think i'll ask the gym ppl on friday.

lanny said:
i didn't add them, from the novice thread i was doing, its said to add when the work outs seem to insufficient..

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=998224

its under the Accessory Exercises

whether or not i have it, its up to me... cuz the 3 exercise are beginning to feel not enuff, none of the accessory exercises hit my legs, so it doesn't effect my squats..

As you go, dding weight to the bar every time you lift etc. you should feel more fatigued then when you first started the training.

Why do you feel it isn't enough the way it is?

If you are pulling /pushing and squating every time you lift, adding weight to the bar, you will grow. The accessory stuff can really hinder your big lifts, and those are the most important.

If you want to add in Dips, curls and tri extensions, I would suggest you only do them on friday (not twice a week), at the end of your workout. That way you have time to recover for monday.

I do 3 sets of dips, 3 sets of curls and 3 sets of seated tri extension on friday and that is it for isolation movements. That is more then enough. If you are doing heavy push, pull and squat your arms will grow (i've added 1/2" to my arms in 7 weeks.

Abs are important as they are part of your core, I train abs every time I lift (or at least try to). I hate doing loads of sit up's so I get on the decline and do 4 sets of 16. Start with no weight, if you get all grab a 5lb dumbell and put it on your chest while doing them. Add weight in 5lb increments. I prefer this to doing 50 sit up's straight. But to each their own.

lanny said:
this is day 10

- Squat -

bar x 10
65 x 1 x 5
95 x 1 x 5
115 x 1 x 5
135 x 1 x 5
150 x 3 x 5

i think i found the problem why i was struggling with 145, i think it was the 10 min jog. "if IT post a problem then IT must go", so IT was let go of. haha!!

- OHP -

bar x 10
55 x 1 x 5
65 x 1 x 5
70 x 1 x 5
70 + 0.5kg (each side) x 3 x 5

i couldn't hit 75, it'll be suicidal, so the least i could was add something. still, legs front n back.

- Pendley Rows -

bar x 10
55 x 1 x 5
65 x 1 x 5
75 x 1 x 5
85 x 1 x 5
95 x 3 x 5

- chin ups -
3 x 5

- hyper extension -
3 x 20

- dips -
3 x 5

i just wanted to try the dips, and i also tried the straight barbell curl, i dont know how heavy it weighs. think i'll ask the gym ppl on friday.

As long as you're adding weight ot the bar, even .5kg it is progress. it all adds up.

Ona side note, I thought the ripetone 3 x 5 was to be a few warm up sets and then 3 sets of your top weight? You're working your way up to your top set, more like the intermediate program.

thnx for the advice on the friday's. will do them on fridays then.

its rippetoe.. spelling error. :p

erm, those are my warm ups.. =.= wat are u talking about? i warm up increasingly. not ideal to do that? so far no one has said anything yet... only you. i thought intermediate was the 5 x 5? 1 x 5 on each weight? this is what my brother taught me to train on..

btw, its not that i want to have it in 5 sets including all the warm ups and 3x5, is that everytime i warm up, i add 5lbs to the bar, but for my squats, i add 10lbs.

Never mind, I didn't pick up on the 3 x 5. You are doing it correctly. My bad. Sorry about that.

Keep it up :)

Top Bottom