Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Started cutting, not losing anything

Hellawulf

So this past year I fell out of shape pretty bad, probably slipping all the way to around 18% BF... now I'm 6'2" 210.

I started CKD. Stuck to it for 8 days before I did my first carb-up. I'm at the end of day 4 since the carb up. So its been just about two weeks total.

I'm at 2400-2500 calories which is about 500 below my maintenance.

I'm doing Bill Starr's 5x5 program Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday.
Fasted - Dynamic Warm-ups/HIIT/Incline Walk - Monday, Wednesday, Friday

Prior to starting CKD, I was doing Dr. Stoppani's Shortcut to shred. I did phase 1 and 2 then went into CKD. My reasoning was that I had been eating like crap prior to that, so I figured I would clean up the diet, get my body near maintenance then jump into CKD at a calorie deficiency.

Results.... None. I haven't even lost a pound. I'm still 210 after 2 weeks of eating clean on Stoppani's and almost 2 weeks of CKD. I'm not sure if maybe I've increased muscle which is why. I feel like I can see some difference in the mirror but I'm not totally sure.

Supps: Whey, Creatine, Casein, L-Cartinine, Fish Oil, and Multi

Typical Day:
Breakfast - 4 scrambled eggs, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, 4 center cut bacon
Gym - 1/2 Scoop Whey, 1/2 scoop casein, creatine, 1 tbs olive oil
PWO- 1/2 Scoop Whey, 1/2 scoop casein, creatine, 1 tbs olive oil
Snack - 1/2 ounce almonds, 1 Strip Cheese
Lunch - 8 ounces tuna, 2 tbs mayonnaise
Snack - 2 Strip cheese
Dinner - 6 oz sirloin steak, 1 cup spinach
Snack - PWO- 1/2 Scoop Whey, 1/2 scoop casein, creatine, 1 tbs olive oil

Using a calorie counter this kind of day usually puts me in the 2300-2500 range, with 200 cal protein, 160 cal fat, 30 cal carbs.

Any advice?

Mix up your proteins more. Whey is best after workouts for fast absorption but after that maybe mid morning snack.
How much sleep are you getting
More vegetables
At least some small carbs in the morning.
Are you switching up your cardio?
Lifting heavy weights also is a major calory burner
How's your vitamin supps?

If you haven't noticed Jim's program is high reps and short rest a true 5x5 is lift heavy with a decent rest period the reasoning behind this is sure throwing up 90 percent of your max up for a few reps jumps your heart rate but if you do 12 reps with 30 sec rest periods and jump back to 12 reps your heart rate will be consistent thus burning more fat, you seem like you are trying to combine different programs into one your doing a fasted workout on a 5x5? 5x5 is for bulk when you have a lot of carbs. Plus 2 weeks is nothing bro, u could of gained a lil bit of muscle and you are confusing that never go by the scale go by the mirror. Post up your daily routine meals included and don't leave anything out

Mix up your proteins more. Whey is best after workouts for fast absorption but after that maybe mid morning snack.
How much sleep are you getting
More vegetables
At least some small carbs in the morning.
Are you switching up your cardio?
Lifting heavy weights also is a major calory burner
How's your vitamin supps?

Ans to questions:
1. 7-8 hours per night (I also work 50 hours per week)
2. I'm switching up cardio between HIIT on the treadmill and HIIT on the stationary spin bikes, as well as the occasional long distance (about once every other week)
3. My vitamin supp is WAY beyond recommended daily, should be quite adequate for a lifting program.

Addressing statements:
1. I have been doing half whey, half casein, drinking it during the workout and right after the workout... I got that idea from Stoppani, sounded like a sound idea (any thoughts on that?)
2. Yes, I know I could do more vegetables, but they put me over in carbs so quick, I know the fiber doesn't count, but the protein shakes also have carbs as do the almonds, so when I start adding even more vegetables I start getting into the 50-60 range for carb Gs
3. Yah, the 5x5 programs is for lifting heavy weights.

If you haven't noticed Jim's program is high reps and short rest a true 5x5 is lift heavy with a decent rest period the reasoning behind this is sure throwing up 90 percent of your max up for a few reps jumps your heart rate but if you do 12 reps with 30 sec rest periods and jump back to 12 reps your heart rate will be consistent thus burning more fat, you seem like you are trying to combine different programs into one your doing a fasted workout on a 5x5? 5x5 is for bulk when you have a lot of carbs. Plus 2 weeks is nothing bro, u could of gained a lil bit of muscle and you are confusing that never go by the scale go by the mirror. Post up your daily routine meals included and don't leave anything out

Ans to question:
1. I am combining different routines. I did this a a couple years ago and dropped from about the same BF% to about 10% in like two months (which is ridiculous), I'm only 22 years old now, I'm really hoping my metabolism hasn't slowed that much.
See below.

Addressing statements:
1. I rely on my cardio to act as the fat burner (i.e. why I do the fasted cardio).
2. I do not fast before my 5x5 sessions as I rely on that to maintain muscle.
3. Any exercise program could be for bulk. To my knowledge bulking and cutting is determined by what you do outside the gym, not inside the gym. To my knowledge upping reps and lowering weight is a common misconception for cutting routines. (I.e. I gained the muscle with these lifts, I'll maintain the muscle with these lifts)... I was actually planning on going to a push/pull/legs routine with sets of 8 reps when I start bulking... (therefore I'm actually doing less reps while cutting and more reps while bulking). -- If you need more as to why I'm using this rational lmk!

Criticism is appreciated. Thanks!

Yah I havent seen Jim's workout routine.
for your snack do full casein unless its an early morning snack, no need to waste your whey. Your carbs are way too low, they just posted a topic in the forums about carb cycling you should definately check it out.
You still need the veggies, which i'm sure you can re arrange after reading that post.
- Also you aren't sleeping enough man, at your age it should be 8-10hrs.
- In addition make sure you keep it consistent on when you are going to bed which will help greatly for recovery time and fat burning.
but if you want to drag out your ketosis adventure, then get after it. But use your clothes as weight loss guides not the scale.
I finally got back into the gym after a couple years off and I havent lost any mass according to the scales but a lot more clothes are fitting lol.

Hi Hellawulf

I'm just thinking a little bit outside of the box here, so bear with me please.

1. Have you considered the possibility that you might be overtraining and your body may has gone into preservation mode? Training 6 days a week and consuming less than maintenance in calories could have actually slowed down your metabolism?

2. A couple of weeks on a particular programme or strategy isn't really enough time to gauge meaningful progress. Maybe give it another couple of weeks and evaluate it then.

3. I'd certainly consider throwing out the cheese, bacon, and mayonnaise. Okay, it's great for short term weight-loss goals where lean mass isn't a concern but for the aesthetic trainer I don't think it's ideal.

4. More salad and root vegetables. ;)

5. Are you consuming enough water and fluids in general?

Good luck, with whatever you decide. It's a frustrating game but fun, all the same.

Craig

Yah I havent seen Jim's workout routine.
for your snack do full casein unless its an early morning snack, no need to waste your whey. Your carbs are way too low, they just posted a topic in the forums about carb cycling you should definately check it out.
You still need the veggies, which i'm sure you can re arrange after reading that post.
- Also you aren't sleeping enough man, at your age it should be 8-10hrs.
- In addition make sure you keep it consistent on when you are going to bed which will help greatly for recovery time and fat burning.
but if you want to drag out your ketosis adventure, then get after it. But use your clothes as weight loss guides not the scale.
I finally got back into the gym after a couple years off and I havent lost any mass according to the scales but a lot more clothes are fitting lol.

Carb being low: I'm doing Cyclic Ketosis and not carb cycling. So instead of eating my carbs throughout the week at good times, or every 3 days, I only eat carbs friday night to Saturday night. This restores my glycogen levels and keeps my leptin levels up to maintain a higher metabolism (or so theory dictates).

I'm sure you are spot on with the sleep, and that actually effects the next post as well, because sleep does have an impact on metabolism, but man is it hard to find those extra hours. Usually I'm at the gym by 6:30 am, at work by 9 am, at home by 7 pm, eating and cleaning up and its already 9 pm and haven't even spent any time with the girl friend yet...

Hi Hellawulf

I'm just thinking a little bit outside of the box here, so bear with me please.

1. Have you considered the possibility that you might be overtraining and your body may has gone into preservation mode? Training 6 days a week and consuming less than maintenance in calories could have actually slowed down your metabolism?

2. A couple of weeks on a particular programme or strategy isn't really enough time to gauge meaningful progress. Maybe give it another couple of weeks and evaluate it then.

3. I'd certainly consider throwing out the cheese, bacon, and mayonnaise. Okay, it's great for short term weight-loss goals where lean mass isn't a concern but for the aesthetic trainer I don't think it's ideal.

4. More salad and root vegetables. ;)

5. Are you consuming enough water and fluids in general?

Good luck, with whatever you decide. It's a frustrating game but fun, all the same.

Craig

1. I have considered that, or that maybe I shocked my body by dropping too many calories on top of dropping the carbs too quickly... but how would you suggest mending that?

2. Yah, but when I did it before I saw results so quickly, I was really hoping that would be the case now. But also when I did it before I was doing EC, which I just started today, so maybe that will have an impact.

3. I would totally agree if I weren't in ketosis. I've got the keotstix (and I realize that they are not the end-all-be-all of testing for ketosis, but if I have ketourea, then I should have serum ketones) which have been coming up positively about 2 days after my carb-up. I've considered this as well and I'm still not totally sure whether to do clean ketosis or cheesy/greasey ketosis... my reasoning for going a little dirty is the the heightened saturated fat increases my test levels (and I'm a natural, i.e. I'll take all the natural test increase I can get), especially while on on ketosis. Usually I'd be a bit worried about higher LDLs, but in ketosis, even with higher saturated fat in my diet, your HDLs actually increase and LDLs decrease.

4. Agreed!

5. I should be. I keep my water bottle going empty all day and I'm constantly running to the water fountain to refill. My boss is pretty cool about me snacking and taking sips of water as long as I'm getting the job done. (Not to mention that I'm peeing almost every 1.5-2 hrs)

Thanks man!

I like bouncing ideas off you guys, so here's what ya'll have got me thinking:

1. Figure out how to get an extra hour of sleep.

2. Add broccoli or spinach to lunch.

3. Cut back on the cheese a bit.

4. Give it more time.

Top Bottom