Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

FLAX SEEDS.....anyone use them instead of oil?

After reding a little on another board, i was thinking about switching to using actuall flax seeds in my diet, grinding um up and putting them in oatmeal to ingest them. anyone have a opinion on this? TRAIN HARD AND BE SAFE.

EAST_COAST_BODYBUILDER

Yes

It is the same thing and usally cheaper, WHen I do it, I just buy a cheap Coffee grinder and use that for grinding my flax, the only problem is it is harder to measure out and know the exact amount u are getting, but it works the same either way. I Would just assume pay 10$ and get a 31 Serving Bottle of it, then have to go through all the trouble. Good LUCK,

I heard that the seeds are 2/3 oil (by weight?). Also considering the same, would like to hear more.

JC

i know of a grocery store near me that sells them in bulk bins. you loose allot of linigan in the processing so i hear. so i figured this way you would get it all. And i got the idea from someone else who does this. just wondering what others had to say. he said once you grind the seeds (IN A COFFE GRINDER) they are only good for a few days and they will then go rancid. so i'm guessing you dont gind allot at one time. anyone else have something to contribute?

EAST_COAST_BODYBUILDER

I buy the seeds and grind them in the coffee grinder; this can cause trouble with some grinders, causing them to stop working if you don't take care of them.

I scoop up the seeds in the bulk bins at whole foods. Before I grind them, I always make sure to put them in the grinder slowly to check for any contaminates that might be present with the seeds--I have seen things that looked like broken toothpicks in my bag of flaxseeds and also other hard particles(maybe small pieces of metal). The preparation takes a bit longer, but I'd rather do it than eat something the contaminants.

I am always somewhat concerned about contamination because the flaxseeds are so small (unlike other nuts in the same aisle); consequently, it is easy for other things to blend in with them.

Last edited:
I use seeds all the time... you have to grind them, or they are just mostly roughage. Store in the fridge and they will be fine for a long time.

2T = 60cal, 4.5g fat, 4g protein, 5g carbs, 3g fiber

thanks allot to everyone who contributed to this. I'm going to start using them once my flax oil i have now runs out.

TRAIN HARD AND BE SAFE.

EAST_COAST_BODYBUILDER

Just wondering, how do you consume the ground up seeds? I was considering adding the meal to my pre-bed protein shake (I assume the oil from the seeds will have a similar effect to adding PB to the shake).

JC

Top Bottom