Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Finding Machines harder than free weights

ronki23

My lifts:

Bench: 135lbs x 5 on bar or 2x 45lb dumbbells x 5

Squat: 225lbs x 2 or 215lbs x 5

Overhead Press: 88lbs x 3 or 83lbs x 5, or 2x 33lbs x 5

However, have started using Matrix weight equipment and my lifts on these machines are:

Converging Chest Press: 120lbs for 5

Leg Press: 190lbs for 5 or 205lbs for 1

Smith Machine Squats: 170lbs for 5 (not sure if 165 or 175lbs as Smith has been changed)

Converging Shoulder Press: 77lbs for 4 or 82lbs for 1

I think it's these ones i'm using:

Matrix Fitness Equipment

With the leg press in particular, it's horizontal and is the one where the weight plates move and not the seat. With the seated one (where the seat moves) at another gym I could do 240lbs at an angle

I used to use some other machines but forgot the brand name of them. I think they were old Hammer Strength models. Not sure but was around 10lbs weaker on them. At my gym before this I was stronger/the same but those were completely different brands again.

Machines are supposed to be easier aren't they? I know they're more for ego but I see they're useful sometimes e.g. after working sets. I shouldn't be using them anyway, just every 6-8 weeks to test my ego

Machines sometimes are harder, because they are really isolating a certain group of muscles. Machines ARE necessary if looking for primarily aesthetic goals...each machine has a purpose and can challenge the body in certain ways.

However, they often takes the stabilizer muscles out of the equation, and this is why machines aren't the best for athletes or people with primarily strength/athletic goals.

Machines sometimes are harder, because they are really isolating a certain group of muscles. Machines ARE necessary if looking for primarily aesthetic goals...each machine has a purpose and can challenge the body in certain ways.

However, they often takes the stabilizer muscles out of the equation, and this is why machines aren't the best for athletes or people with primarily strength/athletic goals.

I'm more about building strength and mass first and then cut the fat off when I reach strength goals.

I can't bench bodyweight or do a chin up/dip and i've been training 3x5 Nov-June and did the Arnold Beginner Workout from his Encyclopedia June-Aug. Back on 3x5 but still weak.

Are leg presses that move the platform harder than the ones that move the seat. I'm squatting more than the leg press in that instance

some machines are broken too..... was benching 250 two years ago with free weights, went to work out at a hotel in Mexico and could barely get up 175 on the machine in their gym..... doubt it had been maintained in a decade. But overall, you shouldn't be seeing a lower result on every machine, just one or two of them because as others have mentioned they tend to isolate muscles. Personally, I don't like machines because I think the results aren't "real world" but I do use one or two of them just because it's often easier... example shoulder press when it's hard to find a spotter for military.

some machines are broken too..... was benching 250 two years ago with free weights, went to work out at a hotel in Mexico and could barely get up 175 on the machine in their gym..... doubt it had been maintained in a decade. But overall, you shouldn't be seeing a lower result on every machine, just one or two of them because as others have mentioned they tend to isolate muscles. Personally, I don't like machines because I think the results aren't "real world" but I do use one or two of them just because it's often easier... example shoulder press when it's hard to find a spotter for military.

Hmm

What about the leg press. The one I have is one where the platform moves and is horizontal and I can do less than my squat on it.

On the angled incline leg press where the seat moves I can do more than my squat, on the horizontal where the seat moves it's equal to my squat

On Smith Machine I actually squat less than my barbell squat. Perhaps i'm using too much lower back? But all I can do to remedy that is deload a little and make sure elbows are pointed down when I use barbell

Are you looking for an alternative than the machines? Don't really understand the motive behind the post

You can try stability workouts with free weights. Its used as a progression stage

Are you looking for an alternative than the machines? Don't really understand the motive behind the post

You can try stability workouts with free weights. Its used as a progression stage

I'm wondering why i'm lifting less on the machines.

Underdeveloped target muscles?

Overdeveloped stabilizers (highly unlikely as my upper body is weak)

My bench is a pitiful 140lbs and with dumbbells I do 2x 45 for 6 reps. We don't have 50s; the next dumbbell increment is 55lbs. Bench not progressing.

Overhead press i'm doing 88lbs x 5 (for only first set as it wipes me out and I can barely get 3 reps on set 2 and 3) and doing 2x 33lbs but for 1 rep I do 2x 38lbs

Hmm

What about the leg press. The one I have is one where the platform moves and is horizontal and I can do less than my squat on it.

doing less on leg press than squat is something I have a hard time comprehending to be honest. Squat should always be less because you have to factor in your body weight..... Maybe the machine is broke. I never used the horizontal one though. I've seen it but never used it. I do like to use the one you put plates on and push up though because I can toss 1000 pounds on it and feel like yeah I'm moving 1k. I could go higher, but that's the machine's max so whatever.

My old gym used to have the 'Integra' weight machines and I lifted much more on that brand's machines than Matrix or Hammer Strength

Top Bottom