Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

rippetoe journal, new to this, please comment and advice.

ok, this is ..:: DAY 8 ::..

10 mins jog

- Squat -

bar x 10
65 x 1 x 5
85 x 1 x 5
115 x 1 x 5
135 x 3 x 5 <- squating my weight!!

(i think its beginning to feel heavy..)

- OHP -

bar x 10
55 x 1 x 5
65 x 1 x 5
70 x 3 x 5

i'm doing this with my legs spread front n back, feels good.

- Pendley rows -

bar x 10
55 x 1 x 5
65 x 1 x 5
75 x 1 x 5
85 x 1 x 5
90 x 3 x 5

its getting harder to keep my back straight at 90 degree..

- Hyper extension-
3 x 20

madness i tell u... madness. i'm beginning to feel wobbly

Looking good man keep it up.

As far as your deadlift for goes:

The only thing that's messing you up right now is using the 10's. This puts the bar really low and so your starting point is a bit lower than it will be once you hit 135. Instead of using 3 10's and a 5 put a 35lb plate on there. That will raise the bar up and make your start a bit easier.

Cheers,
Scotsman

i was thinking of putting weights UNDER instead. LOL! and then use the 35lb for the set..=.= will see how on monday. squating my weight feels great!! hahaha!!

this was day 9

jog 10 mins,

3 x 5 chin ups

- Squats -

bar x 10
65 x 1 x 5
95 x 1 x 5
115 x 1 x 5
135 x 1 x 5
145 x 3 x 5

squats are hard now. i'm afraid that i wont be able to squat more than 145. still manage today, but i dun think i can carry on 155lbs. need advice on this. my brother says to do a 5 x 5 instead of the 3 x 5. i dont know wat that means. some one care to explain to me?

- Bench Press -

bar x 10
55 x 1 x 5
65 x 1 x 5
75 x 1 x 5
85 x 1 x 5
95 x 3 x 5

stable, feeling the the weight.

- Dead Lifts -

bar x 10
55 x 1 x 5
65 x 1 x 5
75 x 1 x 5
85 x 1 x 5
95 x 1 x 5
105 x 3 x 5

50 incline sit ups

i need help on squats.

Basically the 3 x 5 is for people that are just starting out and have the ability to add weight to the bar every w/o.

Eventually you won't be able to do your top set for 3 sets. But until you get to this stage keep on the 3 x 5 as it allows for maximum gains.

When you are no longer to add weight to the bar with he 3 x 5 you move on to the intermediate 5 x 5.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

It is a great program that still incorporated the big movements, Squat, bench, Deadlift, Military press, Pendlay(sp?) rows. But you are adding weight to the bar once a week (monday).

Take some time and read over the website I linked here. It is the next step for you when the 3 x 5 doesn't give you as many gains.

But don't switch to it until you stop adding weight to the bar with the 3 x 5.

There is also a lot of great info here, another part of madcow's website.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/Topics/Training_Primer.htm

so, means once i hit max for 3x5 on squats, i do the 5 x 5? watabout my other work outs? why are u a BUM there and not one here? wats wrong with u? LOL!! :p

lanny said:
so, means once i hit max for 3x5 on squats, i do the 5 x 5? watabout my other work outs? why are u a BUM there and not one here? wats wrong with u? LOL!! :p

A bum? who you talking about?

Anyway, stick with what you are doing, give it 100%effort for as long as you can. You are adding weight to the bar more often with the 3 x 5 then the 5 x 5, so stay with it.

When you aren't able to add any more weight to your lifts, you've reset them a few times and you're just not able to do it, then move to the 5 x 5 and do that workout.

But I strongly sugggest you take time and read what is on that website. There is so much good training info, not just a program that tells you what to lift. It tells you why you are lifting, teaches you about training.

This is from madcow's website, talking about the beginner 3 x 5, intermediate 5 x 5 and the advanced 5 x 5

Program Organization:

The whole "newbie" and fullbody thing aren't mutually exclusive, it probably helps to frame things a different way. I'll use the word beginner for newbie. This is kind of arbitrary delineation but it will serve for the purposes below and it's geared mainly to what goes on in BBing and commercial gyms. We will leave the spectrum of the above advanced to elite to world level lifters out of it but make no mistake it is lifting which makes you bigger along with food, if you still think there is voodoo after reading all my posts from page 4 and on, you need to reread.

EXPERIENCE LEVEL AND TRAINING

Beginner
Typically a beginner will have a very simple program and can progress workout to workout for a decent stretch. This might be adding 5lbs to the back squat 2 to even 3 times per week or maybe it's 2.5lbs to the bench on the same frequency. Essentially every time or most times he goes into the gym, he's a different lifter. Simply the rate of adaptation is high, the time between personal records is low, and the necessary complexity of the programming to elicit these progressions is low.

Intermediate
An intermediate may ramp up to his records over a few weeks and then get decent stretches where he'll set new records on lifts on a weekly basis. At first he might get 12 week runs, later on only 3-4 weeks, but nevertheless he is making fast progress and adding weight to his lifter weekly or almost weekly. Within a week lifts and stress on the body will generally undulate. If 3 full body workouts are used it's typically Heavy, Light, Medium with the work geared to getting that next record the following week. Rate of adaptation is still medium, time between records is medium, and complexity of the program is medium.

Advanced
An advanced lifter gets to the point where weekly progress isn't really viable. He may ramp up and get 1 record or he might not be able to go anywhere with that structure and to get that kind of progression he has to train so far from his core competency that the training fails to carryover well and even cause regression in ignored core. For example dropping the back squat and training the butt blaster machine or working in the 25 rep range on lifts or some other oddball thing. Sort of like a 100m sprinter working on his 3000m times because easy progress is available to him there (unfortunately his 100m doesn't really move much if at all). I have a post on properly using benchmarks to evaluate progress here. Programming here is characterized over larger blocks of weeks in a micro, meso, macro cycle format for planning. He may work very hard and only make a single increment of progress at the 4 or 8 week point. This type of training is indicative of periodization and what goes on in advanced athletics and it gets longer and longer. One could almost say for a top world lifter, he may be training an entire year for a single increment of progression at the world championships and he might have a 4 year plan setup to hit his best at the Olympic games. Obviously adaptability is low, time between records is long, and complexity of the program is high (and for the world level lifter add "very very" before each of those but it doesn't have to be that way for everyone at the simple advanced classification I'm talking about).

So those are the 3 easiest ways to look at it and on the line between beginner and world level lifter there are obviously infinitely many sub-points but I think it's easiest to look at it like this and more relevant to the discussion. Obviously, regardless of where you are or where you think you ought to be, you want to be in the fastest lane possible. Complexity for complexity's sake is dumb. Slow progress when fast is available is very poor decision making. Training indirectly with elaborate assistance exercises to raise your back squat is foolish if you can walk in the gym and add weight to your back squat. These are all done out of necessity not because they are desirable.

If you are starting to get concerned about adding weight you pretty much have two options:

1. Slow down the rate at which you are adding weight to your lifts. Instead of adding weight every workout go every other.

2. Do what djeclipse posted up and do five sets of five working reps instead of three sets. This may actually lower your weight for the first few sessions but may help you add weight even faster in the long run.

Definitely read the info he posted there is a lot of great stuff in there.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Top Bottom