Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Proper steroid free training

Realgains

Okay...I am bound to get a few flames but I am going for it none the less.

It is very important to learn how to train properly WITHOUT steroids. One reason so many people quit training altogether is because they do not know how to make progress in training. Some will quit and a few will turn to steroids for the answer.

First of all you need to STOP reading those glossy Bodybuilding magazines, or at least just limit things to picture looking. The routines in thses magazines are not good advice for the VAST MAJORITY of people. The people advocating these routines are genetically blessed and believe me the vast majority of trainees are not. Also, most are on some form of steroid or GH and as such their recuperative systems are miles ahead of a natural trainee. Most of us are aware of this I think but few really understand how important this is.

Training for the vast majority needs to be, basic, BRIEF, intense and INFREQUENT , especially while training natural. THIS IS CRITICAL!!!! Train like the majority do in the magazines and you WILL GO NOWHERE.

The training focus MUST be on adding small to tiny amounts of weight to the bars weekly or at least every other week. One has to train very hard as well with a good deal of intensity but the focus must always be on adding weight to the bars progressively.
www.fractionalplates.com

Training should be cyclic..in the early stages of a training cycle one is not pushing all out. So you start with weights that you can handle fairly easily for the rep range you have chosen. As the weeks pass you add more and more weight to the bars. Initially the weights added will be quite large, like 10 pounds per week on the squat and 5 pounds on the bench. Focus upon A#1 form at this time of course. When the going gets tough the weight incrememnts get smaller and smaller until you are only increasing the weights by 2 pounds per week on the squat and deadlift and 1 pound per week on the bench and less for smaller exercises.
www.fractionalplates.com

I have all the tiny plates including .25 pounders.
I like to tie .5-1 pounders to weight stacks with a piece of velcro.
When the going gets tough those 2.5 pounders you see at gyms feel like a ton and are too much to be adding at one time each week.

When you find that you cannot add weight to the bar for three weeks in a row then you can do one of two things....you can either stop the training cycle and take a break or you can let the reps drop to sets of 5 for the upper body and sets of 8 for the lower. You could drop the reps further and train purely for power as well.
Once further weight progress cannot be had then take 10 days off from training. Then come back but start with about 85% of your previous best for reps and slowly build up to and oast your previous best. YOU CAANOT PUSH ON AND ON IN A LINEAR FASHION even while on steroids as the body will not tolerate this. Some down time and time with less intense training is needed for better long term gains.

REP RANGE......generally for the developement of strength and mass one needs to use reps between 6-10 for the upper body and 10-15 for the lower. Some do very well with sets of 5 all round as well. When you go below 5 you are training for pure power and this can be done too in a cycle after a base of sets of 5 or so are done.
I find that most people do best when training for strength and mass when they do sets of 6-8 for pressing movements and 8-10 for pulling movements and sets of 10-15 for lower body. Some experimentation is needed here as everyone is a little different.

REST BETWEEN SETS...generally I would recommend rest periods of between 90 seconds to 4 minutes between sets depending upon the exercise done. Rest time needs to be more between sets of squats and deadlifts.
Occasionally each year it would be a good idea to use heavier weights and do sets of 5 with long rests between sets , like 3-5 minutes. This will help your power and be a nice change of pace.

WARM UPS....you need to do a general warm up, like running on the tread mill for a few minutes. You then should do warm up sets but don't get carried away here. Warm ups are just what they say...warm ups.... and do not tax yourself with them. Save you effort for the working sets.
You really only need to warm up the first exercise for each body part while training. Here is an example...lets say you are going to do your heavy sets of squats with 200 pounds. The first set should be an easy 10 with the bar. Do them slowly and strictly. The second set could be with with say 95 pounds for a slow strict 5-6 reps. The do another set with 135 for 3 and then MAYBE a single after that with 185. Now you are ready for you heavy work set with 200 pounds for 10 reps.
Second exercises for the same muscle group do not usually need warm up sets.
For a set of curls a single set of 5 may be enough of a warm up. The whole point here is to warm up but not drain your strength and energy.

CHOICE OF EXERCISES

Try to stick with big bnasic multi joint movements. These "compound exercises" are by far the best for building mass and strength...or even tone for that matter. If you insist on doing isolation work then it is best to do them BEFORE a compound movement so as to pre-fatigue the target muscle group a bit.....ie : laterals before overhead presses....the laterals directly fatigue the deltoids and then the free triceps in the overhead press will push the shoulder hard.

INTENSITY
You need to train very hard(most do not) BUT don't get carried away with intensity especailly while natural. Generally speaking taking a set to the point where another rep isn't possible and if you attempted it the you would likely get stuck(concentric failure) is enough intensity. This is too much in the first couple weeks of a cycle though.
The very occasional forced rep may be okay for some.
Rest pause reps can be done from time to time...that is...after finishing the sets with the very last good rep your can do then put the weight down and rest for 5-10 seconds...then pick it up and do another rep oor two. This is done twice. This is especially good with calves.
Partial reps done after doing to failure can be done and are especailly good with calves and rows.

CARDIO.....do no more than 3 -30 minute sessions per week while trying to gain mass and strength

ROUTINE #1.. Training without steroids for the VAST MAJORITY

MONDAY

1. Hammer bench press or regular bench press. 2-3 warm ups and then 2-3 sets of 6-8 reps. Dips with a medium grip with elbows flairing out somewhat are also a very good chest movement and are considered by many to be the upper body squat.

** In the bench... lower the weight to your LOWER chest/STERNUM with your elbows going back at about a 45 degree angle. Keep your lats flexed and shoulder blades pulled tightly togther at the back. Lower the bar fairly slowly and then once the bar touches the lower chest(below nipple line) then quickly reverse the movement without a bounce. Before lowering fill your lungs up with a big bulp of air and hold it..you blow it out as you pass the sticking point on the way up with the bar. The first few inches of the lift are verticle and then the bar should be pushed back toward the head and UP. Be sure the elbows follow the hands directly under the bar. The bar should end up above your chin or even the eyes with some people.
Use a grip width that puts your elbows at right angles when the bar is at the chest...this is a good grip to start with.
Keep both feet flat on the floor when benching and do not excessively arch the low back. The low back can have a slight arch but keep the butt on the bench. Some drive hard from the legs and feet but be careful as this is very hard on the backs of some. The bodybuilder doesn't need to do this at all....leave that for the power lifter going for a record single.
The bench is a highly technical lift and good instruction is needed.

For many it may be best to scip the bench and use the Hammer bench press as it is easy to use and effective.

Thats it for chest....what you say...that can't be enough!! Well it is more than enough IF you train hard.

2. Pulldowns with a shoulder width barbell curling type grip. GET SOME STRAPS. Do 2 sets of 8-10 after 1 warm up of 6
3. Some form of rowing ..hammer is good. 1 set of 10. Arch the back and hold the weight in the fully contracted position for a split second with all upper back work, especially rows.
4. Over head press to the front seated with barbell or some kind of machine press. 2 sets of 8 after 1 war up. Over head pressing works the entire shoulder complex hard.
5. Barbell curls 2 sets of 8.. no warm up needed
6 Hammer dips, or another machine dip OR close grip bench press with hands about 15 inches apart for 2 sets of 8 after 1 warm up.
With the tricep dip and close grip bench keep your elbows close to the body...don't let them flair out much. This elbows in and back technique really works the triceps hard. The dip and close grip bench are BY FAR the best tricep exercises.

NOTE: Be very careful with dips too not go too deep. A decent stretch is needed but don't drop too low or you will have rotator cuff issues to deal with in time.

DONE>>>>now go home and eat and rest.

THURSDAY

1. Squats ...3 warm ups and then 2 work sest of 10-15.
Squat deep and that means to the point where your upper thighs are parallel to the floor at least. Do not bounce! Drive up with the flats of the feet and not the balls of the foot.

Stance should be a little more than shoulder width for most. Experiment a bit. If you have long legs then a wider stance is needed. Point toes outwar 20-30 degrees.
These are BODYBUILDING squats and NOT power squats so the bar is on the traps and not on the rear deltoid. Try to stay as upright as possible but some forward lean is needed for sure. Before you lower take a very deep breath and hold it...you blow it out as you pass the sticking point on the way up with the bar.
NEVER NEVER NEVER squat with heels elevated as this reduces their overall effectiveness and it is hard on the knees.
If you cannot squat without excessive forward lean then get flexible in the ankles/calves.
*A few simple cannot squat due to bad biomechanics. These few should do deep leg presses (hammer is great

2. Stiff leg deadlifts 1 warm up and then 1 set of 10-12. **Use straps for sure. Keep back flat and go down only to mid shin and NO FURTHER or you will screw up your back when the going gets tough. Slight knee bend is best. The movement starts with a pivot at the hip and butt going straight back. keep the bar close to the legs all the time. Breathing is per the squat.
After getting used to this exercise you will be using very heavy weights and almost as much as you squat for reps! YES!

The squat and SLDL will do more for putting strength and size on your body than all the other stuff combined. So do them right and do them hard. Sadly very very few do this.

3. 1 set of hyperextensions with weight

4.Shrugs 1 set of 10 plus partials at the need.

5. Some kind of calf raise for 3 sets of 10-15 HARD

6. Abb work for 3-4 sets hard.

WHAT NO LEG CURLS, LUNGES AND LEG EXTESION!! YEP...the squat hits the entire hip/butt and quad region very well, the SLDL is by FAR the best ham developer not to mention a great low back builder.

I know a lot of oyu are looking at this routine and shaking your head say that it simple isn't enough...It will work very well for you IF you work hard and focus on progressive poundages.

You can split the above routine into three workouts and train three days per week if you like but 2 training days is best for most people.

Some can train three days per week with a more volume but not very many can do this while training very hard without juice.

ALTERNATIVE NATURAL ROUTINE for those that insist on doing isolation work and more volume. I believe that most will do better training 2 days per week as above though.

MONDAY

1. Hammer inclines or some kind of incline press at 30 dregrees 2 sets
2. Hammer declines of some kind of decline press for 2 sets

3. Toe press 3 sets
4. Lying tricep extension for 1 working set
5. Machine dips or close grip bench for 2 sets
6. Abbs

WEDNESDAY

1. Squats 2 working sets
2.leg extensions 1 set
3. leg press deep 1 set
4. Leg curl 1 set
5. SLDL 1 set
6. hypers 1 set

FRIDAY

1. Pulldowns 2 sets
2. Rows 2 sets
3. Shrugs 2 sets
4. Laterals 2 sets
5. Overhead press seated 2 sets
6.Curls 2 sets

If you learn to train properly without steroids and then add small doses of steroids you will grow like crazy but steroids are not needed for decent progress IF you train right.

If you use steroids you MAY be able to do a little more volume than the above without over training, but I stll highly recommend that you train no more often than three days per week.

Hope this helps some people...and don't forget to eat and slepp well.....***LADIES**** you cannot be an aerobic machine and expect to gain much strength or shape/size while lifting so limit the cardio.

The following web site is good for 95% of you while training naturally. www.hardgainer.com

RG

:)

Last edited:
thanks for sharing this with us, I found it really interesting and I learned a lot from your insights.

:D

RG -- you are wonderful for taking the time to post this -- not only the content but the detail involved.

I miss reading your posts -- and while I know you are pressed for time, I for one appreciate your words.

Now why would you get flamed? Very good read.

I'm doing something a little different - training primarily for power (3-5 rep range for multi-joint movements, 6-10 reps for isolation) and my split is upper, lower, rest, upper, upper isolation/volume, rest, upper, lower, rest...

I only do one exercise per bodypart and rotate between 2-3 exercises, doing a different one each workout. The upper volume day (this is the new thing I'm testing) will be one upper body part, not trained the previous day, and I'll do two exercises using 10 sets of 3 each with 1 minute rest intervals. It's a theory my PL friend and I are testing (on me) about hypertrophy. He believes growth occurs on the hard, intense reps of a set. So, if you're doing a set of 10, the last three hard reps are the ones you'll hypertrophy from. So why not do 10 sets of 3 intense, heavy, hard reps than 3 sets of 10? Just a theory...

I totally agree on incrementing your weight; I'd just been limited by what was available at my gym. Thank you so much for posting the link for franctional weights. :)

Best growth comes from sets of 5 reps or more. Sets of three will give growth of course but more power than growth.
10 sets of 3 is quite a load if you are going hard and too much for most natural trainees.

When training with heavy weights in good form in the basic compound movements you don't need, and should not do, very much isolaltion work. ie:>>If you are looking to do assistance work for the bench then do some close grip benches or elbows in dips.

Isolation work is given FAR TOO much credit and actually does next to nothing for mass/strength and in not a few it just robs recuperative powers and hiners gains.

RG

JJFigure said:
Now why would you get flamed? Very good read.

I'm doing something a little different - training primarily for power (3-5 rep range for multi-joint movements, 6-10 reps for isolation) and my split is upper, lower, rest, upper, upper isolation/volume, rest, upper, lower, rest...

I only do one exercise per bodypart and rotate between 2-3 exercises, doing a different one each workout. The upper volume day (this is the new thing I'm testing) will be one upper body part, not trained the previous day, and I'll do two exercises using 10 sets of 3 each with 1 minute rest intervals. It's a theory my PL friend and I are testing (on me) about hypertrophy. He believes growth occurs on the hard, intense reps of a set. So, if you're doing a set of 10, the last three hard reps are the ones you'll hypertrophy from. So why not do 10 sets of 3 intense, heavy, hard reps than 3 sets of 10? Just a theory...

I totally agree on incrementing your weight; I'd just been limited by what was available at my gym. Thank you so much for posting the link for franctional weights. :)
:) :)

Yeah, I've dropped most of my isolation work - the compound movements just take too much out of me and I just haven't felt isolation work makes any real difference. Still do dips, though - weighted ones. :) And a little lower back and abs/hip flexors - those I do in a higher rep range.

Excellent sticky material. Thanks RG

I would like to mention a work out program also based on a loading and rep scheme. I have been using it for about 10-12 weeks now. There is a website devoted to it. An important part of it is the deconditioning phase where you take off from the gym for at least 9 days. Strategic Deconditioning. It is also based on a 3 day a week wo.

www.hypertrophy-specific training.com

I have made some very nice gains from this as have other folks.

Great points RG made about limiting wo days as well as getting off the darn cardio machines!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad your back we did miss you-valerie

JJFigure said:
Yeah, I've dropped most of my isolation work - the compound movements just take too much out of me and I just haven't felt isolation work makes any real difference. Still do dips, though - weighted ones. :) And a little lower back and abs/hip flexors - those I do in a higher rep range.

Dips are a great compound movement . Done with elbows flaired out and a medium/narrow grip they are probably the best all round upper body exercise and definately the best all round chest developer. In fact this was considered the upper body squat years ago.
Done with elbows near the sides and a narrow grip they are a very good tricep builder indeed.
I just came back from the gym were I did a couple of very heavy strict sets of dips tricep style in the excellent hammer dip machine...great exercise and my favorite tricep movement.

A very very large powerlifter/bodybuilder first showed me how to dip over 20 years ago. I can still see the huge amount of weight he had hanging around his waist with a dipping belt and large chain. The guy was huge and especially in the triceps and all he ever did for the tri's and chest were very heavy benches, dips (tricep and chest style) and close grip benches. He told me that dips are the best exercise one can do for the chest and the triceps and I have to say he is correct.
I think there should be another lift in power lifting and thats the weighed dip. I think it would be cool to see hundreds of pounds hanging from hips and dipped in perfect form..he he he

The dip isn't as technical as the bench and some that cannot bench well can really pack on the size and power with dips!

I always include some hyperextensions for the low back after heavy deadlifts be they regular of stiff leg style. It is, however, a big mistake to omit theses deadlifting forms from ones training.

Abb work...for sure and I like them weighted for no more than 15 reps a set.

I don't think one needs the hip flexor stuff unless you are referring to reverse crunches. The squat works all the hip flexors very well.

RG
:)

Weighted dips as a new powerlifting lift - that would be pretty interesting to see. You've got my vote!

Hey RG - nice to see you around again. Thanks for the post. It looks great, and as soon as I can mentally get past doing just one or two moves for each part, I intend to try it. (And after I try WSB). I love lifting so much, I feel deprived if I have to cut it back. Maybe silly, but true. Here's a question, though. How come, on the days I only go to the point where I know I won't get another rep, or I try the next rep and fail, how come I go home feeling like I just had a stroll in the park? It just doesn't feel intense enough ...

Also, what about DL's? SLDL's are enough? Or do you just change the variations up with each cycle?

Top Bottom