Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Need help with program

trauck1506

I'm just getting back into working out after 1.5 years and I thought I would post my upper body days for critiquing. My goal is to lose weight and gain as much muscle as possible.

Current:
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 194 lbs.
Arms: 17.5"
Waist at smallest: 36.75"
Waist at largest: 40.75"
Chest: 44.5"
Forearms: 12.5"

Bench: 220 lbs.
Clean & Jerk: 155
curls: 35 x 7

Day 1:
Bench - max x 3 x 8 - 12 (reps)
Curls - max x 3 x 8 - 12
Clean & Jerk - max x 3 x 6 - 10
Reverse curls - max x 3 x 10 - 14
Skull Crushers - max x 3 x 8 - 12
Crunch Machine - max x 3 x 10 - 14

Day 2:
Wide Pull Downs - max x 3 x 8 - 12
Dumbbell Bench - max x 3 x 8 - 12
Fly Machine - max x 3 x 8 - 12
Cable Curls - max x 3 x 10 - 14

Every time I make the max reps listed I jump up weight and started back at the lowest reps. Also, I take about 3 - 5 min rest on each exercise except abs and bis (wanted to know what anyone thought about rest time). I also do lower body 2x a week with lower weight because I'm more concerned with running which I do about 12 miles a week.

Diet is 2k cal. daily at 30%f, 35%c, and 35%p

Best lifts at 170 lbs:
Bench: 305
Squat: 420
Dead lift: 450
Trap Bar Dead Lift: 550

Last edited:
I'm just getting back into working out after 1.5 years and I thought I would post my upper body days for critiquing. My goal is to lose weight and gain as much muscle as possible.

Current:
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 194 lbs.
Arms: 17.5"
Waist at smallest: 36.75"
Waist at largest: 40.75"
Chest: 44.5"
Forearms: 12.5"

Bench: 220 lbs.
Clean & Jerk: 155
curls: 35 x 7

Day 1:
Bench - max x 3 x 8 - 12 (reps)
Curls - max x 3 x 8 - 12
Reverse curls - max x 3 x 10 - 14
Skull Crushers - max x 3 x 8 - 12

Day 2:
Wide Pull Downs - max x 3 x 8 - 12
Dumbbell Bench - max x 3 x 8 - 12
Fly Machine - max x 3 x 8 - 12
Cable Curls - max x 3 x 10 - 14

Every time I make the max reps listed I jump up weight and started back at the lowest reps. Also, I take about 3 - 5 min rest on each exercise except abs and bis (wanted to know what anyone thought about rest time). I also do lower body 2x a week with lower weight because I'm more concerned with running which I do about 12 miles a week.

Diet is 2k cal. daily at 30%f, 35%c, and 35%p

Best lifts at 170 lbs:
Bench: 305
Squat: 420
Dead lift: 450
Trap Bar Dead Lift: 550

hey bro, honestly that layout is confusing to read (maybe because i jus took a norco and some coffee) but where are the deads and squats?

mass imo is all about more claories, not really the training you do.....2k cals is not enough at all especially with 12 miles a week running.

honestly i would do a 5x5, low volume, make some strength and mas gains, UP UP UP your cals and continue to run. Areyou long distance or sprinter? Because sprinters squat heavy (500 lbs) and they are fast lol.

Like Gladiator said, running 12 miles a week on a 2K cal diet is hard enough, it's downright impossible if you want to be doing the lifts that you're listing. You have your MAX weight for 3 sets of 8-12 reps on every exercise listed? I doubt most guys who are in shape could pull that off consistently. Like he said, start with a low volume program combined with your cardio, that should get you a solid base and back into shape. Also, it was obvious, and I know this is your upper body routine, but NO DEADS? NO SQUATS?

Also, for the chest, I would definitely add dips (weighted if possible) and possibly pull overs.

I can do heavy deads, but squats are out of the question because of horrible head pain. That's why I stopped working out a long time ago when it was really bad and it might be due to a concussion I had about 2 years ago.

Here is my lower body days at 1 - 2 times a week.
I'm writing this: weight x sets x reps

jog 1 mile
Lunges - max x 2 x 8 - 12
Ab Machine - max x 2 x 10 - 14
Squats - 60% max x 2 x 8 - 12 (ass to grass)
Leg Press - max x 2 x 8 - 12
Hyper Extensions - max x 2 x 10 - 14
Other Ab work
Run 1 mile

I get through legs in about 1.5 hours. Also, I'm not to sure about the leg work and might switch it up some. I may have to get some straps to actually do dead lifts because the bars at my gym have no knurling at all and I have always had very week forearms. Right now I'm more concerned with getting down to around 180 than going up in weight, but if I'm not averaging 5 lbs. a week on most exercises then I will raise the calories. Since my metabolism is super slow I feel like the calories aren't to bad, especially when I gained 5 lbs. in one week and I'm back down to where I was when I started on the 12th. Since I just started lifting again, I'm waiting a bit to start lifting heavy on lower body so that I can continue to run. Not to mention the horrible acne that I'm assuming the increased test level is causing. I would rather starve than deal with this, unless there is some other way to control it besides food intake? I usually also just try and decrease my 1 mile time every week. I will post my previous workout with about the same amount of calories that I was doing when I was my strongest, and I was running +30 miles a week. In my opinion it is much easier to lose weight at the beginning of a long time off while hitting new maxes than wait a few months and then try to. I've also tried a 5x5 routine and didn't like it because my results weren't so great. Also, wouldn't it be hard to start a 5x5 when you don't really know your max lifts? I know there are different variations, but it has been about 4 years since I read all the info on it.

Instead of relying on straps I would just lower the weight you're using until you get strong enough. If it's a grip issue you should look into purchasing some chalk; starting off with straps is just an easy way of setting yourself up for failure on deads.

Damn, not sure what to say about the head pain bro. Its just one of those things where you know your body and if its something you can push through or not. So your call on that one.

So your main goal right now is fat loss? Usually when people do higher reps while cutting, they look better but they lose a lot of strength. I look better AND keep strength when I lift heavy and cut

I wouldnt get straps for deads, id get chalk. Now that i use chalk, id never go back to straps. Straps pull on my wrists anyway and i dont feel as good as when i have chalk. Also, its hard to manage 5lbs a week increase on you lifts when youre doing higher reps, so first you may just wanna increase the weigh and lower the reps, it makes it easier to progress.

As far as 5x5, it works if you stick to it. But depends on your goals....if you wanna lose fat and keep strength it is perfect. If you wanna keep muscle and dont care about strength and wanna lose fat, then a higher volume workout should work. With the running youre doing though it is better to go lower volume to give your body the recovery it will need.

I can do heavy deads, but squats are out of the question because of horrible head pain. That's why I stopped working out a long time ago when it was really bad and it might be due to a concussion I had about 2 years ago.

Here is my lower body days at 1 - 2 times a week.
I'm writing this: weight x sets x reps

jog 1 mile
Lunges - max x 2 x 8 - 12
Ab Machine - max x 2 x 10 - 14
Squats - 60% max x 2 x 8 - 12 (ass to grass)
Leg Press - max x 2 x 8 - 12
Hyper Extensions - max x 2 x 10 - 14
Other Ab work
Run 1 mile

I get through legs in about 1.5 hours. Also, I'm not to sure about the leg work and might switch it up some. I may have to get some straps to actually do dead lifts because the bars at my gym have no knurling at all and I have always had very week forearms. Right now I'm more concerned with getting down to around 180 than going up in weight, but if I'm not averaging 5 lbs. a week on most exercises then I will raise the calories. Since my metabolism is super slow I feel like the calories aren't to bad, especially when I gained 5 lbs. in one week and I'm back down to where I was when I started on the 12th. Since I just started lifting again, I'm waiting a bit to start lifting heavy on lower body so that I can continue to run. Not to mention the horrible acne that I'm assuming the increased test level is causing. I would rather starve than deal with this, unless there is some other way to control it besides food intake? I usually also just try and decrease my 1 mile time every week. I will post my previous workout with about the same amount of calories that I was doing when I was my strongest, and I was running +30 miles a week. In my opinion it is much easier to lose weight at the beginning of a long time off while hitting new maxes than wait a few months and then try to. I've also tried a 5x5 routine and didn't like it because my results weren't so great. Also, wouldn't it be hard to start a 5x5 when you don't really know your max lifts? I know there are different variations, but it has been about 4 years since I read all the info on it.

Also, for the chest, I would definitely add dips (weighted if possible) and possibly pull overs.

I would like to add dips, and I think skull crushers are much better than pull overs. However, I think adding dips would put to much strain on my triceps.

Yes my main goal right now is fat loss, and it seems to be going very quickly! I have noticed that if I have kept it under 14 reps, my maxes don't usually go down (remember though I haven't worked out in forever). I remember when I upped it to 20 - 25 reps because the strongest person I have ever met pound for pound said I should, and I lost about 30lbs. on my bench in 1 month, but that still doesn't mean I got weaker. I will lower the reps on compound lifts after I get some stamina built up, but right now I go from 10 reps down to 3 very quickly. I think efficiency is a very big part of becoming stronger and also at some point I would like to start boxing again. Never really thought about using chalk for deads, but I will definitely give it a try because I hate straps and have only used them about 3 times. Plus you reminded me that if I don't start deads soon then I can kiss my developing calluses good by in a very painful way. As for 5x5 I may try it at some point, but just really don't like it unless I'm hard pressed for time. I would also have to be really committed, which is hard since I move around a lot. I would much rather do a Westside Barbell type routine any day because I have seen very good results doing that and you actually get faster rather than slower.

Any ideas about the head pain? It happens when I put any weight on my back and has caused me to black out before. It doesn't happen while running even when hitting close to my max heart beat at about 189, so I think that would throw out blood pressure issues? When I had the concussion which I didn't know about for like 3 days, the doctor told me to get a ct scan, but I didn't do to a lack of insurance and money. I'm thinking about going back soon because it may be possible that I have an aneurysm developing.

Thanks everyone that has posted and helped me out!

Top Bottom