Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help with putting on mass (chest and arms)

Wintermte

I have been lifting for about 8 months now. My original goals were to trim a bunch of fat off, and I have done that (I lost about 4-5 inches off my waist).

I have even seen some decent gains in muscle size in my shoulders, quads, and back, but I can't seem to gain much in my arms (bis and tris). My chest is coming along slower than the rest too.

Can anyone make any sugestions?

I am working each muscle group 1x per week with the following (routine taken from a Frank Zane book):

Bi's:
3 sets of 10 - 15 alt Dumbell curls
3 sets of 10 - 15 face down incline curls
3 sets of 10 - 15 incline curls

Tri's:
3 sets of 8 - 12 cable push downs
3 sets of 8 - 12 close grip bench press
3 sets of 8 - 12 overhead extensions.

Chest
3 sets of 8 - 12 30 degrees incline press
3 sets of 8 - 12 70 degree incline press
3 sets of 8 - 12 dumbell flys
3 sets of 8 - 12 dumbell pull overs

My triceps and pecs are reasonably sore after working, but my biceps seldom are. It seems that this is too many reps and too little weight, but I am at muscle failure when I am done.
Can anyone offer any advice? Or, am i just being too impatient?

Thanks
Dan

Gaining mass and body size takes time(years). Sounds like you have a bigger frame that at one time perhaps carried some fat. This is not a bad thing, because you have lost the fat and it shows your body can put on the weight.

You must realize that shapeing ones body is a lifestyle. You must diet, supplement correctly, and find a program that works for you. For mass your going to want to include deadlifts, squats and compound exercises into your rountine. Try some creatine from time to time to increase thickness. And remeber it takes time. Weighted pullups will also put size onto your bi's

HighIntensity said:
You must realize that shapeing ones body is a lifestyle. You must diet, supplement correctly, and find a program that works for you. For mass your going to want to include deadlifts, squats and compound exercises into your rountine.[/B]

Agree Wholeheartedly with this. I would add some decline presses to you chest routine as personal experience has increased my upper pecs significantly.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I have been living that lifestyle since I started becoming serious about lifting. I have to admit I didn't take it terribly seriously at first. I was doing a full body workout on universal machines for about the first 3 months, but as I started to see results (losing weight) I became more serious. I changed how I ate and my general attitude towards working out and getting into shape.

Supplements are something that I don't have a complete handle on yet. I do drink about 50 grams of protein in shakes per day. I also take a good GNC multi-vitamin. I tried creatine for a while, but I didn't really notice the difference, but that was early on when I first started, so maybe I'll try it again. Is there something else that I really should be taking? Or are the rest of the supplements just "optional"?

I am just impatient, and I tend to second guess myself. I don't know how many times I have changed my lifting routine because of this.

In general I like this routine (like I said I took it from a Frank Zane book called Fabulously Fit Forever - revised). I just wonder about the bicep routine because I am using such high reps and low weight. Should I maybe lift heavier and lower reps on occasion (say 1x per month) with this routine you think?

Anyway thanks.
Dan

Ever tried drop-sets???

Throw them in every 2 or 3rd rotation!!!

Do them right down the rack to failure at the end of your workout......it will rock your world!

Do slightly less volume, like 2 sets per exercise and crank the weight up a bit (about 6-8 rep range). Switch the 70 degree incline press to flats.

I did drop sets for my bi's last night. They are awesome! My bi's are still pumped up. I did drop sets on both the alt. dumbell curls and on a preacher curl.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to start doing these 1x or 2x / month I think.

Dan

Top Bottom