Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

F.Y.I: Flax Seed Oil

danrag

As taken from a quote from a medical web site, www.webmd.com

"I recommend taking small amounts of fish oil and flax seed oil -- 2 grams per day of each -- to provide the omega-3 fatty acids without taking extra omega-6 fatty acids. The only exception is for men who have prostate cancer or who are at risk for it. Dr. Charles Myers at the University of Virginia Medical School has evidence indicating that flax seed oil may promote (about a 300% increase) the growth of prostate tumors. Someone with prostate cancer should avoid flax seed oil and instead take 2-3 grams per day of fish oil."

i've heard something similar. Unfortunately I believe the good effects outweight the POSSIBLE bads.

danrag said:
As taken from a quote from a medical web site, www.webmd.com
"I recommend taking small amounts of fish oil and flax seed oil -- 2 grams per day of each -- to provide the omega-3 fatty acids without taking extra omega-6 fatty acids. The only exception is for men who have prostate cancer or who are at risk for it. Dr. Charles Myers at the University of Virginia Medical School has evidence indicating that flax seed oil may promote (about a 300% increase) the growth of prostate tumors. Someone with prostate cancer should avoid flax seed oil and instead take 2-3 grams per day of fish oil."

Funny thing is that he says:
"He has evidence indicating that flax seed oil may promote the growth of prostate tumors."
MAY promote tumors

ON a side note, Dr. Charles Myers is involved in prostate cancer research, not dietary research. So, I consider his authority invalid.

Mr.X

This is what Nelson Montana said about Flax Oil...

Nelson Montana said:
Due to all he positive literature on Flax seed oil, I used to recommend it, but I've since changed my stance. It's a phytoestrogen which removes androgens from the body and has been linked to prostate cancer -- once again proving that research studies only tell part of the story. It has been shown to reduce gyno that has already been formed though. (Maybe as a topical? Hmmm)

I agree with Mr X. Myers has not published anything to support his theory, yet there are plenty of peer-reviewed scientists that have shown that flaxseed oil is beneficial in both prevention and treatment of prostate cancer.

The study where the men suffered reduced testosterone levels with flaxseed oil were taking 30 grams per day of the stuff, and almost no other fats!!! That's too much. They were on a low and very unbalanced fat diet (less than 20% total fat) so it's hardly a surprise that their test levels dropped. I would be surprised if this happened in normal helathy males eating a balance of omega 3, 6, 9 and saturated fats at a moderate level.

MS said:
I agree with Mr X. Myers has not published anything to support his theory, yet there are plenty of peer-reviewed scientists that have shown that flaxseed oil is beneficial in both prevention and treatment of prostate cancer.

The study where the men suffered reduced testosterone levels with flaxseed oil were taking 30 grams per day of the stuff, and almost no other fats!!! That's too much. They were on a low and very unbalanced fat diet (less than 20% total fat) so it's hardly a surprise that their test levels dropped. I would be surprised if this happened in normal helathy males eating a balance of omega 3, 6, 9 and saturated fats at a moderate level.

EXACTLY!

MS, I notice these days anyone w/ self spoken authority wants to make up outrageous theories. I'm a doctor in accounting, Dr. ***......I guess I'll write a paper on prostate cancer and peg it evedential, give me a break!

lol I'm heated up

Mr.X

LOL Mr X. Since you're a doctor, why don't you write a paper on extreme dieting and peg it evidential.

To be fair, there ARE studies that show a correlation (not causation) with alpha-linolenic acid and protate cancer. However, as one recent study concluded:
"A high intake in both red meat and dairy product was associated with a
statistically significant two-fold elevation in risk of metastatic prostate cancer, compared to low intake of both products; however, most
of the excess risk could be explained by known nutritional components of these foods. CONCLUSIONS: Intakes of red meat and
dairy products appear to be related to increased risk of metastatic prostate cancer. While known nutrients, such as calcium and fatty
acids (MY NOTE-these fatty acids include omega 3), may explain most of the dairy association observed, it appears that a portion of the risk of metastatic prostate cancer associated.
with red meat intake remains unexplained."

I say the jury is still out on this one. The only thing that is certain is that a low total fat diet (less than 15% of calories from any fat source), and low BMI are the most protective against developing prostate cancer (either that or have your testicles removed at an early age. This has the added benefit of eliminating acne, baldness, and chances of dieing in a car crash!)

MS said:
(either that or have your testicles removed at an early age. This has the added benefit of eliminating acne, baldness, and chances of dieing in a car crash!)

LMFAO...LOL :p :p
I wonder if I could have avoided those car crashes if I just cut my testicles off, Jesus why didn't I think of that before lol

The whole idea of prostate cancer solutions is probably not going to be solved for a while, for different self-induced medical researchers are definitely thinning the ground for proper research due to distorted views.

Mr.X

Top Bottom