Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

slow progress in squats?

teirrah

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest ways for me to make faster progress on my squats or whether its little by little slowly does it from here on out. I train legs once a week and start with 3 sets of squats, first set 8 to 12, then next two descending to faliure. Rest 2 to 3 minutes between sets and always need to be spotted out of the hole for the last couple of reps. I started squats about a year ago doing @ 30 kg (60lbs?) and slowly slowly crept up to current working weight of 70kg. I am 5"9 and weigh 70 kg and would love to get to the point where I can squat a chunk more than I weigh. If squat progress is a long slow road then so be it, but I am curious as to how other newbies are getting along.
After squats I do 2 sets either leg press or hack squats, 2 sets leg extentions and 2 for leg curls. All 8 to 12, as much weight as I can handle... With thanks!

You need to drop the isolation work( leg extensions and hacks) as it will do next to nothing for you except drain valuable recovery powers, unless you take steroids. Doing leg press after hard squating is over kill and will likely hinder your progress.

You need to focus on adding small to tiny bits of weight to the bar in perfect form every week. You need to train in cycles...start easy at about 85% of your maximum weight for reps and then over the weeks increase the weight until you are going all out on each work set. as the going gets tougher and tougher you need to be adding smaller and smaller bits of weight to the bar weekly until you are only adding 2 pounds per week to the bar....do this for as long as you can. When you can no longer make the reps then let the reps drop to sets of 8...when you can no longer add weight to the sets of 8 then drop to 3 working sets of 5 and continue to add weight and when you can no longer add weight to the sets of 5 drop a set and do 2 sets of 5 and when weight progression stops again then take a full 10 days off training and come back with 85-90% of your previous bests for reps and start another cycle

... OR...when you can no longer add small bits of weight to the sets of 8 then drop a set and do only 1-2 all out sets of 8..... then take 10 full days off from weights and come back at about 85-90 of your previous best for reps and start another training cycle. Going to 3 sets of 5 is a good idea but you don't have to.

This should be done on all compound exercises which should make up almost 100% of your exercises in your routine.

The natural trainee CANNOT ALWAYS train all out....you MUST train in cycles with lay offs and some easy time at the beginning of the cycle.

A progressive cycle can go on for 6 months or more with the tiny weight increases....as long as you are adding weight to the bars you do not need to stop the cycle and take a lay off.

Get some tiny plates www.fractionalplates.com

The 2.5 pounders are too much to be adding to each side of the bar every week or two after the going gets tough.

Do this......... 5 minutes on the tread mill at a steep angle and brisk walk,
one warm up with the bar, next warm up with a fairly light weight for 6 then next warm up with a heavier weight for 5-6. DO NOT FATIGUE yourself with the warm ups.
NOW.....load the bar up with the most weight your can strictly use for 10 reps and do 12. rest 4 minutes and then do another set with the same weight and try for 10, if you have the energy then do one last set with 10% less weight for 10-12.

DONE QUADS.....you have just worked every fiber in the quad, hip and butt and most of the fibers in the hamstring if you go down to just below parallel.

Next do 2 sets of stiff leg deadlifts after a warm up set. Do a search under my name to find out how to do these correctly.
Next do one all out set of back extensions with weight for 1 set of 10.
You can do a set of leg curls if you like but do them BEFORE the deadlifts so as to offer some pre- exhaust benefit to the hamstring.

You have now worked every fiber in the hamstring and low back.

Read my sticky on proper steroid free training above.

If I could only get people to believe that you need only 2-3 very hard deep sets of squats to work the entire thigh.

RG:)

Last edited:
Last summer, I couldn't squat the BAR!!!

I quickly learned that the squat is a total-body exercise. I'm taking time now to build my back strength (esp. my upper back) because my legs can move more than I can safely hold across my back.

How is your 'core'? Are your abs and low back strong? What about your hip flexors?

Pull-throughs are fantastic. They strengthen the hams, butt and hips. http://www.weightliftingdiscussion.com/pullthrough.html

Realgains said:
You need to drop the isolation work( leg extensions and hacks) as it will do next to nothing for you except drain valuable recovery powers, unless you take steroids. Doing leg press after hard squating is over kill and will likely hinder your progress.

You need to focus on adding small to tiny bits of weight to the bar in perfect form every week. You need to train in cycles...start easy at about 85% of your maximum weight for reps and then over the weeks increase the weight until you are going all out on each work set. as the going gets tougher and tougher you need to be adding smaller and smaller bits of weight to the bar weekly until you are only adding 2 pounds per week to the bar....do this for as long as you can. When you can no longer make the reps then let the reps drop to sets of 8...when you can no longer add weight to the sets of 8 then drop to 3 working sets of 5 and continue to add weight and when you can no longer add weight to the sets of 5 drop a set and do 2 sets of 5 and when weight progression stops again then take a full 10 days off training and come back with 85-90% of your previous bests for reps and start another cycle

... OR...when you can no longer add small bits of weight to the sets of 8 then drop a set and do only 1-2 all out sets of 8..... then take 10 full days off from weights and come back at about 85-90 of your previous best for reps and start another training cycle. Going to 3 sets of 5 is a good idea but you don't have to.

This should be done on all compound exercises which should make up almost 100% of your exercises in your routine.

The natural trainee CANNOT ALWAYS train all out....you MUST train in cycles with lay offs and some easy time at the beginning of the cycle.

A progressive cycle can go on for 6 months or more with the tiny weight increases....as long as you are adding weight to the bars you do not need to stop the cycle and take a lay off.

Get some tiny plates www.fractionalplates.com

The 2.5 pounders are too much to be adding to each side of the bar every week or two after the going gets tough.

Do this......... 5 minutes on the tread mill at a steep angle and brisk walk,
one warm up with the bar, next warm up with a fairly light weight for 6 then next warm up with a heavier weight for 5-6. DO NOT FATIGUE yourself with the warm ups.
NOW.....load the bar up with the most weight your can strictly use for 10 reps and do 12. rest 4 minutes and then do another set with the same weight and try for 10, if you have the energy then do one last set with 10% less weight for 10-12.

DONE QUADS.....you have just worked every fiber in the quad, hip and butt and most of the fibers in the hamstring if you go down to just below parallel.

Next do 2 sets of stiff leg deadlifts after a warm up set. Do a search under my name to find out how to do these correctly.
Next do one all out set of back extensions with weight for 1 set of 10.
You can do a set of leg curls if you like but do them BEFORE the deadlifts so as to offer some pre- exhaust benefit to the hamstring.

You have now worked every fiber in the hamstring and low back.

Read my sticky on proper steroid free training above.

If I could only get people to believe that you need only 2-3 very hard deep sets of squats to work the entire thigh.

RG:)

This has been very helpful Realgains. I just started squatting in December. I'm 5'4 and weigh 120lbs. I started out squatting 75lbs and have worked up to 95lbs for 3 sets of 8-12 (Smith machine, as I don't have a spotter). I think I will try one of your methods below. Currently, my leg workout includes:

- Squats 3x(8-12) currently at 95lbs
- SLDL 3x(8-12) currently at 65lbs. I don't feel like I'm getting the stretch I need in the hamstring. I know my legs could take more weight, but my grip is weak.
- Leg Extensions 3x12 65lbs. I was told to keep doing these b/c of a knee problem... but according to what you just said, this might be overkill???
- I do calf presses on the leg press machine 3x12 with 130lbs
- Back Extensions with 100lbs (but I do this on a different day with the rest of my back workout). Should I do it on leg day instead?

Well....for the record...I agree with dropping the leg press on squar days but would insist on keeping the hacks in there as I dont see them as an isolation movement at all.

Whn my quats stall, it is usally on of the three things:

1 - lack of strength in lumbars
2 - lack of flexibility in hips
3 - lack of rest or food.

Corn,

I agree with you. When my squat suffers it's usually lack of food or energy. I still do leg extensions and it hasn't hindered me in anyway. Atleast I don't think it has. I am still going up in weight in everything including, squats and especially extensions. I rock on LE's. I can almost do as much as my husband.

I personally love Le's....my legs LEAPED in quality when I added them as a main exercise along with hacks and lunges

Many thanks everyonefor these positive pointers, so it is gonna be a long slow road! Thats cool as I'm having the best time of my life lifting and am damn sure I'll still be training 20, 30 years down the track. So I have time, and now I have more knowledge.
Interesting comments about not enough food hampering progress. A couple of weeks ago I ate more on leg day but although it was a good couple of hours before lifting those extra carbs came right back up.... so last week went back to oatmeal an hour before lifting and just felt a bit nauseous.... what does anyone else eat prior to leg training to feel good and strong for squats?
Corn, can I ask why you would keep the hacks? I can see now that leg press after squats is redundant but how are hacks different? With many thanks for everyone's help.

lucidBlue said:

This has been very helpful Realgains. I just started squatting in December. I'm 5'4 and weigh 120lbs. I started out squatting 75lbs and have worked up to 95lbs for 3 sets of 8-12 (Smith machine, as I don't have a spotter). I think I will try one of your methods below. Currently, my leg workout includes:

- Squats 3x(8-12) currently at 95lbs
- SLDL 3x(8-12) currently at 65lbs. I don't feel like I'm getting the stretch I need in the hamstring. I know my legs could take more weight, but my grip is weak.
- Leg Extensions 3x12 65lbs. I was told to keep doing these b/c of a knee problem... but according to what you just said, this might be overkill???
- I do calf presses on the leg press machine 3x12 with 130lbs
- Back Extensions with 100lbs (but I do this on a different day with the rest of my back workout). Should I do it on leg day instead?

Back extensions with 100 pounds! Do you mean good mornings?
I meant hyperextensions.

Drop the leg extensions. The squats will strengthen the kness better.

Stiff leg deadlifts TECHNIQUE.
Use wrist straps with a shoulder width palms facing towards you grip.
The movement is A PIVOTING motion at the hip and NOT a reaching down as you bend over motion. You stick your butt backwards and pivot at the hip. kEEP YOUR BACK FLAT OR LOW BACK SLIGHTLY ARCHED. You go down to no more than mid shin OR LESS. Full stretch of the hams comes at the point just below the knee to up to mid shin. If you go lower you open up the lumbar spine too much and you WILL get injured in time.

SO.....Get those straps on.....take a deep breath as you lift the weight off the rack....stick your chest up and out and the butt goes backward with a pivot at the hip. Hold your breath just like in the squat until you feel yourself breaking through the sticking point on the way up. Lots of deep breathing as the set gets tough. The knees reamain very slightly unlocked throughout the movement. The bar stays very close to the legs all the time.
DO THEM slowly and with no explosive burst out of the bottom like you do with squats. DO NOT REACH downward with the hands/arms...just pivot at the hip and bend over.
DO NOT go to complete failure on this exercise as it is too risky...leave one rep in you....this is WAY harder than most train the movement though.

Try doing the SLDL movement with no weight, not even a bar...and feel the stretch in the hams as you pivit the hip and bend over.

Some people, like my wife , can still leg deadlift more than they can squat.

I would do the hyperextensions on the same day as legs and deadlifts.

I would also do shrugs on the same day that you do the stiff leg deads as SLDL's work the traps hard.

It doesn't matter when you do calves. I don't like to do them on leg day because I am so "weak in the kness" after squats.
I like leg press toe raises best.

RG
:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom