Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Second set WAY lower than first

mcr

This has happened to be since day 1 of training for all exercises, but never more prominant than on chins.

I can get 10 reps with the first set, but only 5 or 6 reps on the second set (same weight), even with long (3 mins) rest periods. I realise it's normal that if you go to failure on set 1, you won't be able to get the same reps on set 2, but should it vary by this much? I also find that if I rest shorter - say 1 minute, I can barely get 3 reps out on set 2, after having done 10 reps on set 1 at the same weight.

Is this normal, or what is my weakness? I'm assuming it's muscular endurance? Does anyone else have this problem, and if so what have you done to overcome it (or should I even care?).

Sounds normal to me.

Instead of going to failure on your first set why not stop at 8 and do that three times...add weight as you hit each 3X8.

It sounds normal.

I think if you hit a true 10RM the first set you will have a hard time getting close the second time...

some people might get 7-8 the second time, while others get 4-5, but I think that is a personal variable and dependent more on the effeciency of the persons nervous/muscular system and probably not something that is going to change drastically...

cmdubs said:
Instead of going to failure on your first set why not stop at 8 and do that three times...add weight as you hit each 3X8.

Yes I think I will try that. However, the last set would be the only failure set there, and it would be at a lower number of reps than had I done the first set to failure. So in other words, I'd be doing this:
Set 1: 8 reps (easy)
Set 2: 8 reps (quite hard)
Set 3: 8 reps (failure)

Instead of this:
Set 1: 10 reps (failure)
Set 2: 6 reps (failure)
Set 3: 5 reps (failure)

Do you think the 3x8 idea would be more effective? Or do you think it really won't make much difference?

I think that as long as there is progression in the amount of weight you are moving you will be making gains.

Once you hit all 3 sets of 8 reps, add weight the next time you workout, continually do this until you plateua, then switch it up and try something different.

Very normal.

My bet is that you aren't warming up before that first set. Just do adequate warmup sets and take adequate rest between sets.

Top Bottom