Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lat Pull down issues

JackVa1

I'm 60 years old and I workout about 12 hours a week which includes arobics and 45 minutes three days a week with weights.

On weights days I do free weights and dumb bells but also use a machine for Butterfly, leg lifts lat pull downs and reverse pull downs (both seated)

I can not always get through the lat pull downs and never am able to add weight and still do 10 x 3. What is it with this exercise? I need an expert tell me why these are so difficult. Today I did them after my bench press and could not do 8 x 3 with weight I generaly do 10 x 3

Thanks in advance

I'm 60 years old and I workout about 12 hours a week which includes arobics and 45 minutes three days a week with weights.

On weights days I do free weights and dumb bells but also use a machine for Butterfly, leg lifts lat pull downs and reverse pull downs (both seated)

I can not always get through the lat pull downs and never am able to add weight and still do 10 x 3. What is it with this exercise? I need an expert tell me why these are so difficult. Today I did them after my bench press and could not do 8 x 3 with weight I generaly do 10 x 3

Thanks in advance

if you can do pullups, try them. as for lat pulldowns, they're not a crucial exercise, so if you're having trouble with it, feel free to switch to something else for your back. Imo, BB/DB Rows and pullups are sufficient for lats.

how long have you been doing the same routine? you could be plateauing on the lat pull downs, it happens. jdid gave you great advice just switch it up! if you want you can go back to lat pulls in a month or 2

edit: also if im reading this right youre trying 10 sets of 3? your strenght is not going to really progress with that amount of sets x reps. did you mean 3 sets of 10?

also, just a side note: i hurt my shoulder a few months back, and i can say with certainty that doing lat pulldowns only aggrevated it more. some people see great results from this exercise, but if you have bad shoulders, be careful with it.

also, just a side note: i hurt my shoulder a few months back, and i can say with certainty that doing lat pulldowns only aggrevated it more. some people see great results from this exercise, but if you have bad shoulders, be careful with it.

I second that. It's rare that I can do pulldowns without aggravating my shoulders. I'd say that pullups/chins with several different grips should be the first choice if possible. Even if a guy can't do a lot of reps there are plenty of techniques for extending a set, whether it's pure negatives, slow negatives, pullups with assistance, etc.

I feel free to add more than may be necessary because this board's a little slow.

i disagree with jake because

1. i've never heard of anyone doing lat pulldowns to make strength gains.... weighted pullups for 4-5 reps >>> lat pulldowns for 4-5 reps.
2. don't prioritize what should be a supplementary lift to the main compound ones... if it's not working, try something else, then when you're stronger, go back to it. I stopped BB Rowing about a year ago, just did DB Rows, pullups, some machines here and there, and my BB Row shot up at least 50 pounds. Now, this isn't the mindset you want to have with a lift like squats, but for lat pulldowns, it should be fine.

Top Bottom