Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Just bought my first Oatmeal supply

yosshimura

High End Bro
Platinum
I got some Quaker Oats oatmeal to use with my whey to make one of my meals...... In looking at the nutrition facts, I can't see what the big deal is?:confused:

1/2 cup
fat 3 g
cal 150 g
sodium 0g
carb 27g
fiber 4g
protein 5g.

Hmm, don't seem too high, guess maybe you guys are looking at 1 cup as a serving size right? thanks

btw, I had a cup this am for breakfast with 50 g of whey (not post workout).

After good vegetables and fruits, oatmeal (I don't know what it is considered?) is probably the next best food. It does not have a very low GI like some vegetables and fruits, but it is better than foods like bread. I think the "old fashion" type has a better GI rating, but I'm not sure; I just remember someone mentioning this some time ago.

I read that on the box. Does it just bind to the cholesterol in your gut or does it actually lower cholesterol via some other mechanism?

chillin408 said:
After good vegetables and fruits, oatmeal (I don't know what it is considered?) is probably the next best food. It does not have a very low GI like some vegetables and fruits, but it is better than foods like bread. I think the "old fashion" type has a better GI rating, but I'm not sure; I just remember someone mentioning this some time ago.

oatmeal has a low gi, around 5 g. fiber perserving which is good. the difference btwn the old fashion and 1-minute by quaker (not instant, instant is filled with sugar, 1 -minute does not equal instant) is how the oats are rolled. i believe old fashioned does have a lower gi but nothing significant i dont think.

chillin408 said:
I read that on the box. Does it just bind to the cholesterol in your gut or does it actually lower cholesterol via some other mechanism?

in fact it is soluble fiber which has been shown to help lower
blood cholesterol
and oatmeal is rich in those fibers

the rate of digestion and absorption of a food is possibly the key factor in reducing cholesterol and blood pressure though the reasons are still not very well known. Soluble fiber (but noty insoluble fiber) slows both digestion and absorption.

Oats have a greater proportion of soluble fiber than any other grain but you would have the same effect with beans, peas, rice bran, barley, citrus fruits, strawberries and apple pulp

Yea, I've read that lower insulin levels are good for cholesterol levels, but I don't think that is the reason they flash it on the labels because it would then apply to all low GI foods.

Top Bottom