Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

CANNOT Get A Good Back Workout!!HELP!

Texas Guns

High End Bro
Platinum
It has almost been a year since I can remember getting a really good back workout where I felt at least remotely sore the day after. I cannot tell you how many different exercises and routines I have tried, I am desperate!!!! I have done heavy sets, light set...you name it. Someone please give me some suggestions!

Mrs. Texas Guns
:angel:

My back workout (cutting / endurance) is usually 9 - 12 sets / 3 - 4 exercies.

3 sets / 12 reps One arm rows
3 sets / 12 reps Lat pull downs
3 sets / 12 reps Seated cable rows
3 sets / 12 reps Reverse situps (holding additional weight)

I usually do shoulders on the same day

Shrugs, upward rows, front/side/rear delts 3 x 12 as well.

Concentrate on pulling your elbows towards your sides, and imagine your hands as handles. I have overpowering arms and this helps me concentrate on my back. For movements try:

Wide Grip Pullups 3 x as many as possibble
Bent Over Rows 3 x 6 (try different grips)
One Arm Rows 3 x 8

For dessert HEAVY DEADLIFTS, thats if they fit into your split, luckily I do Legs and Lower Back 3 days after I do upper back.

people say back but that such a hard concept to understand..... there are really 3 differnet muscles that make up the back....Erectors, Lats, and Traps.

Erectors are the most powerful..... start with them by doing heavy deadlifts...work up to 2 sets of 2.

then for lat......the lats have 2 different functions, rowing and pulling(pulldowns).....

so i treat them as two different muscles..... for rowing i do 4 sets of 8 smith mach barbell row,
4 sets of 8 t-bar rows,
4 sets of db rows.

for pulling.....4 sets of 8 pullups to the front
4 sets of 8 close grip pull downs
4 sets of 8 behind the neck pull downs

for traps..... 4 sets of 8 barbell shrugs
4 sets of 8 db shrugs( with weight held at the side and bent at the waist about 30 degrees)
4 sets of upright rows

hey...... it may not be the best workout..... but i guarantee that you will fly out of the gym on massive wings...........(just remember to always keep the elbows wide)

happy flying

For each exercise do two heavy somewhat sloppy sets:
- 8 reps
- 6 reps

Third set: do 6 very very very strict reps:
- pull the weight in 3 seconds
- hold and queeze for 4 seconds! Really pull the elbows as much behind you as possible
- lower the weight in 4 seonds and get a good stretch
- on failure, crank out another 6-8 reps with speedy sloppy style...

this WILL give you a sore back next day hehe
:D

A friend of mine had the same problems. I noticed that his Bi's were well developped and his back was not being worked.

One word: pre-exhaust. You need to tire your back with an isolation movement before chin-ups or other exercices. It is CRUCIAL for back. Start your wourkout with 2 sets of cable pullovers in the 20-25 rep range. Make sure you squeeze the hell out of it.

Make sure you stretch in between each set.

Another thing I'd try that helps me get better burns is to always try and keep your shoulder blades flexed together throughout your entire back movement.

Ok....when was the last time you did a deadlift workout where you could barely walk afterwards...or puked on your next to the last set?

Why is it so complicated...chins, barbell rows, and heavy and hard deadlifts. PERIOD.

B True

Welcome back Mrs. Guns... I remember you :cool:
You are fairly experienced if I remember correct, just do the exercises you like (or remember liking) and get mentally prepared (that's the prob is your not mentally in too it)

you know how to lift, get pumped, get psyched and go girl!

Back is the hardest of all the muscle groups to isolate and work properly without biceps/forearms bearing the majority of the workload.

A few tips on training back to keep the stress on the targeted area:

1. Use a false grip whenever possible (thumbs over) while doing chins and rows. This will keep you from using too much arm power. Also, this is much easier if you use straps which leads me to my second point...

2. Use straps! If you need grip strength and foremarm development, then do wrist curls some other time. You are here to obliterate your back so keep that as priority. 9 times out of 10, someone's grip strength will fail before their back fatigues when doing shrugs, seated rows, T-Bars, DB rows, chins, and even pulldowns. Let the straps do the "gripping."

3. Banana back! A slight curvature (concave) to your lower back will keep the stress in your lats and traps when doing rowing motions. DO NOT ALLOW YOUR BACK TO HUNCH OVER!!! This puts unnecessary strain on the lower back, invites serious injury, and negates much of these exercises' effectiveness.

4. Visualize and mentally connect with your back. Concentration is key when doing back or your missing the point. You've got to feel you lats working...just arbitrarily rowing and pulling without regard to form is totally pointless. When doing chins, imagine "pushing your elbows down" instead of "pulling yourself up." I heard this phrase a long time a go and never forgot it. It has helped me tremendously.

5. It takes practice. I don't know how long you've been training but it takes a while to get back training down just right so that you're really targeting what you want to. Practice getting in the right goove so that you maximize the stress on your back. The reason back is so hard to train is because almost every exercise designed to train it is a compound one. Therefore, ancillary muscle work (i.e. bi's, forearms, rear delts) must be minimized. In truth, I have seen very few people who train back properly due to the aforementioned reasons. I've seen people who have been training for years that still have trouble isolating it just right.

Hope some of these suggestions help.

Good luck.

:cool:

Top Bottom