Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Not eating after lifting

Point Of Entire Thread: Eat Immediately After A Workout Or You're Fucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is an interesting study that shows that protein synthesis foloowing training actually increases higher at the 24 hr. mark. This would indeed confirm why some folks who believe in low gi(oats/protein for instance) still make gains. Such as the point I made in a prior post that before we knew all the "science", what did we do? We went home, ate a 1/2 lb. of ground round and a plate of pasta. Guess what, we still gained!

In the "old days", we had no idea of dextrose, malto, etc. We did not even have creatine. The top supplements we had were Hoffman Milk and Egg(hardly fast digesting), Weider crap, Hot Stuff, etc. There were some pretty dam good physiques built back then. :)

Not saying that the hi gi pwo drink scenario is wrong, I in fact subscribe to it myself. Am just pointing out that your gains will not be null and void if you do not get a drink in you in 18.5 minutes or some crazy figure.

Point being, protein synthesis is elevated close to 30 hrs., then returns to baseline. So, eat, eat, eat in that timeframe.

Here it is......

The time course for elevated muscle protein synthesis following heavy resistance exercise.

MacDougall JD, Gibala MJ, Tarnopolsky MA, MacDonald JR, Interisano SA, Yarasheski KE.

Department of Kinesiology, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario.

It has been shown that muscle protein synthetic rate (MPS) is elevated in humans by 50% at 4 hrs following a bout of heavy resistance training, and by 109% at 24 hrs following training. This study further examined the time course for elevated muscle protein synthesis by examining its rate at 36 hrs following a training session. Six healthy young men performed 12 sets of 6- to 12-RM elbow flexion exercises with one arm while the opposite arm served as a control. MPS was calculated from the in vivo rate of incorporation of L-[1,2-13C2] leucine into biceps brachii of both arms using the primed constant infusion technique over 11 hrs. At an average time of 36 hrs postexercise, MPS in the exercised arm had returned to within 14% of the control arm value, the difference being nonsignificant. It is concluded that following a bout of heavy resistance training, MPS increases rapidly, is more than double at 24 hrs, and thereafter declines rapidly so that at 36 hrs it has almost returned to baseline.

Publication Types:
Clinical Trial
Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 8563679 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Lifterforlife said:
Thank you for agreeing with me once again.

How long did you search to find that old "conventional wisdom"? This was what was thought at one time , but those of us who keep in the forefront know that cellular hydration to the extent that we get with creatine supplementation for instance has little effect on muscle protein synthesis or breakdown in healthy men or women (Louis et al., 2003).

Duh! The faster you recover, the better? Geez, who would ever think that! :rolleyes: Again you are but repeating what I have been saying. This is nothing new, anyone who reads this thread will already know this. The only part you are leaving out is that while true, some glycogen is depleted, replenishment is still rate dependent. Yes, it is super compensation time at pwo, and insulin sensitivity is indeed increased, but this simply means that you can jack a bit more glycogen in the muscle at this time than normal, but still even that is limited. Why do you think that studies all say that by doing this or that, or supplement companies touting a supplement tout that you can get 10% more glycogen uptake or something? They are saying 10% more than normal

It took you a long time to search and piece some stuff together, which is mostly correct by the way, but you could have easily gotten by simply reading my prior posts.

I think at this point it would be easier for me to mentally bend a spoon.

Perhaps I should state it again for the dull witted; I never stated glycogen replenishment was related to protein synthesis; It has an independent mechanism of action. Please don't "put" words in my mouth; It extremely annoying in the sense it doesn't foster a reasonable discussion. Science isn't about being "right", it's about presenting evidence under proscribed guidelines.

I've shown muscle glycogen depletion is substantial, even during bodybuilding; I would consider 30+% after nine sets to be very substantial. People who engage in resistance training will benefit from post exercise glycogen replenishment, particularly under the conditions of multiple training sessions. You may have 24 hours of increased glycogen synthesis but as I advocate, sooner is better.

JavaGuru said:
Perhaps I should state it again for the dull witted; I never stated glycogen replenishment was related to protein synthesis; It has an independent mechanism of action. Please don't "put" words in my mouth;

Again, you are simply repeating what I posted, trying to turn it around like you are making some new point. Glycogen is not the primary reason to spike insulin/blood amino acid levels pwo. The primary reason for the hi gi shake post workout is to shut down cortisol, via insulin. Coritsol is highly catabolic, and insulin is its drirect antagonist. Glycogen repletion will happen somewhat here as a byproduct of doing this. Ring a bell? Post #31?

It extremely annoying in the sense it doesn't foster a reasonable discussion. Science isn't about being "right", it's about presenting evidence under proscribed guidelines.

Yeah, I believe I have done that time and time again in posts, and you are simply rehashing something I said to try to make it sound like something you came up with because in fact you cannot win. Annoying you most definitely are, in fact your obsessive posting trying to make some same old tired point that has been made a thousand times and verified is bordering on rubber room personality.

You may have 24 hours of increased glycogen synthesis but as I advocate, sooner is better.

Read the study bro.....24 hrs. is double MPS. I don't know which is limiting you more, your reading comprehension or your interpretation of what you read.

You want to take me on bro, bring it on. You cannot win, you don't have the knowlege, the background, or the experience. In fact, I am writing a book right now, when I am done, I may just send a copy to you for free, you may just finally learn some things instead of spouting the same old tired material.

Ummm..Like I said, where did I post glycogen replenishment was of primary importance; You can quote on EF and I'm waiting.

Top Bottom