Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how many sets for each muscle?

mikediesel04

Plat Hero
Platinum
Right now I'm doing on average 12 sets for each muscle I train. I was thinking of starting to move the sets up to 20 per muscle. Is this too much? Also I usually do 8-10 reps per set except chest because that lacks in strength so I only do 5-6 with that. Any suggestions? I want to add size but dont want to lose definition. (NO Cardio for me either)

As a rule Ive always done a minimum of 12 sets for smaller bodyparts and 15 for back and legs. As Ive worked my way up in strength and endurance over the years I often hit 30 sets of back and sometimes even 15-20 for the biceps or triceps alone. I hit 40+ sets of chest in two seperate sessions by the end of the week. My intensity is always there since I train to failure, but I find I can take much more abuse these days before Im completely fatigued. Id basically advise training as hard as you can until you cant move any decent weight anymore. Complete exhaustion is always my goal. You can see my routines in my training journal:

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278469&page=1&pp=20

Obviously alot of people train less intensely with less volume then this and still get some results. I dont like to chance it though. Seems I really have to force it, if I want any gains at all. And if Im not consistent every day I lose it extremely fast. I dont like to leave until Im completely satisfied in my mind, that I gave it my all. Keep KILLING that shit!

I like high volume as well, although i am changing things around and probably would not do as much all year round..My only suggestion is that adding 8 sets to each body part is prolly too much at one time..I think the larger muscles like beast said (legs/back) would most likely be able to handle it..but personally my bi's cant unless i significantly lower my weights and i like heavy ass weights for everything!!!

WalkingBeast said:
As a rule Ive always done a minimum of 12 sets for smaller bodyparts and 15 for back and legs.

How do you break up the exercises? Like lets say for lats.

For lats I only know of pulling movement exercises. There are only so many different grip variations that I know of that concentrate the lats. So how do you mix it up? 4 sets of close grip, 4 sets of wide grip, 4 sets of under-hand, 4 sets of over-hand? Give me an example.

Another example is biceps. Do you do 12-20 sets of curls (DB,BB,Cable)?

3-4 exercises per muscle.

minimum 3 working sets for each exercise

On most things, i wouldnt go beyond 5 working sets.

cwick0 said:
3-4 exercises per muscle.

minimum 3 working sets for each exercise

On most things, i wouldnt go beyond 5 working sets.

OK but lets say you're working your biceps today. The only real movement to concentrate on biceps is a curl. Once you get into stuff like hammer curls and cross body hammer curl you're now including the forearm. If you wanted to only work your bicep and do 12-20 sets wouldn't you be just as good doing 12-20 set of curls, whether they be using the same DB,BB,EZ-Curl, or cable?

DeltreeFitness said:
OK but lets say you're working your biceps today. The only real movement to concentrate on biceps is a curl. Once you get into stuff like hammer curls and cross body hammer curl you're now including the forearm. If you wanted to only work your bicep and do 12-20 sets wouldn't you be just as good doing 12-20 set of curls, whether they be using the same DB,BB,EZ-Curl, or cable?

Curls work more than the bicep to start (forearms, front delts), unless they are concentrations. The goal is to work the bicep from as many angles as possible to get overall development, hence hammers, french curls, barbell, etc.

cwick0 said:
Curls work more than the bicep to start (forearms, front delts), unless they are concentrations. The goal is to work the bicep from as many angles as possible to get overall development, hence hammers, french curls, barbell, etc.

What exactly does working from different angles do other than incorporate other muscles? Is there really an advantage to the bicep doing 8 sets of curls as opposed to doing 4 sets of EZb curls together with 4 sets of Hammer curls?

cwick0 said:

Yep..hammers are great since you can work your forearms as well as the brachialis at the same time!!

wnt2bBeast said:
Yep..hammers are great since you can work your forearms as well as the brachialis at the same time!!

I agree they are a good exercise if you want to include the forearm, but that wasn't my point.

Top Bottom