Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

mass reps

I was just wondering what are the best number of reps to do when trying to pack on weight??

i am currently doing 4-5 reps for squats, bench, military press and deadlifts.

i also do dips, chins, curls and cleans.

am i doing the right reps and exercises for bulk?

any advice would be great!

Anything less than 6 reps is typically training primarily for strength. Generally 6-12 reps is for mass (though some say 8-12) and anything more is for endurance. Having said that, I'd try to stick to 6-12 reps and periodically go a bit heavier for less reps or a bit lighter for more to change things up and keep your body guessing. Also, higher reps is better for muscles with a higher ratio of slow-twitch to fast-twitch muscle fibers (like calves), whereas it is the opposite for muscles with a greater % of fast-twich fibers.

i would say like this go for a minimum off 8 reps and max 10 reps if you can do more than 10 increase the weight slowly. do between 2-3 sets not more.

Nathan said:
Anything less than 6 reps is typically training primarily for strength. Generally 6-12 reps is for mass (though some say 8-12) and anything more is for endurance. Having said that, I'd try to stick to 6-12 reps and periodically go a bit heavier for less reps or a bit lighter for more to change things up and keep your body guessing. Also, higher reps is better for muscles with a higher ratio of slow-twitch to fast-twitch muscle fibers (like calves), whereas it is the opposite for muscles with a greater % of fast-twich fibers.

Exactly.

Which is why I prefer 10-12 rep range for quads/hams, 10-15 for calves, and 6-8 for upper body.

Top Bottom