Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Leg routine killed me last week, about todo it again today. Over training?

Frunsky

1.smith m. Squat 5x5(add weight each set.)
2.smith m. Calf raise(1 set of 15 and 1 set to failure)
3.dumbell squat(2 sets of 10 and 1 set to failure)
4.leg curl(2 sets of 8 and 1 set to failure)
5.leg extension(2 sets of 8 and 1 set to failure)
6.calf raise m.(1 set of 15 and 1 set to failure)

This worked great last leg day. I was hurting for like two days min. Am I over training?

No, you are most definately not overtraining. I don't know your stats or your routine, but from experience I will say that theres no way...

You may be sore after your routine, but on the other hand one will also be sore after slamming their head in the car door...which does not facilitate growth.

The smith machine squat and leg extension are horrible for your knee joints, and won't do much for overall strength (even if bodybuilders claim they add "size"). Dumbell squats are useful, but more as a training exercise in preparation for the full barbell squat (preferably the goblet squat for hip mobility). Leg curls are reasonable, but SLDL's, GHR's or good mornings would be much better!

You would do yourself a favor by making the barbell squat the base of your routine, maybe somethings as follows...

Barbell Full Squat 5x5
Front Squat 10x3
Glute Ham Raise TFx3
Seated/Standing Calf Rs.x75 with rest/pause (see Nelson Montana calf routine)

Just an example, but your time in the gym is valuable so exercise selection is key and knowing why certain exercises are more effective than others is an invaluable tool to build. Good luck.

Oh wow here we go again. I have to agree with Mr. Iweaver. The smith machine will cause knee problems. Base your routine around Free weight back squats. Great legs are built around squats. Just ask Tom Platz. If you dont know who that is google him. Good Luck.

there is a dude at my gym who goes heavy on the smith machine and he wraps up his knees and looks like king tut. you would of thought he would of figured out 2+2 by now.

to the OP I like your leg split, but would like to see you dump the smith machine obviously, swap in deadlifts every now and then instead of squats, and make sure you are taking 3.5-5 days in between your leg days for the most part. you can do back to back leg days once a month only, its a great way to push the body.

if you start noticing tendonitis or strange excessive soreness then you are overtraining for now. over time your body will either adjust to the workout, or it will breakdown from the poundage. so don't over do it

Top Bottom