Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hardgainer starting from scratch

iwealth

I've decided to change things around for myself and stop living in shame of my body. I'm 21 years old, heading into my senior (sophomore/junior really tho with transfers) year in college. Here is the pathetic stat line:

5 feet, 9.5 inches tall
141 lbs as of an hour ago

Yes, you can imagine...downright scrawny. I don't feel ashamed saying it in here really, I'm sure you guys would rather help than criticize. I'm small-boned if there is such a word...shoulders aren't broad, very small wrists, long neck, etc. Typical ectomorph I guess. This is going to be a hell of a battle for me.

Starting my diet and workout tomorrow (I'll be working out at the local YMCA at 6:00AM to try and avoid the rush). I'll be eating about 2500 calories daily, upping that as I gain weight...about 250-260g protein, 175-185g carbs, 80 or so g fat. (mostly from Udo's) I'll be using creatine and glutamine and trying to down about a gallon of water a day.

Here's the workout plan I intend on using..please criticize it but keep in mind what I am working with here. I've never trained with weights before, so I'm sure my strength is going to be ridiculous. I'll be working out 3 times a week..

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps
Flat bench press(4 sets, 1 burnout set)
Incline dumbell flyes (1 superset)
Shoulder Press (4 sets, 1 burnout set)
Side raises (1 superset)
Shrugs (4 sets to failure, 1 burnout set)
Bar dips (4 sets to failure)
Tricep pushdowns (1 superset)

Legs
Squats (4 sets, 1 burnout)
Leg Extensions (1 superset)
Stiff-legged deadlifts (4 sets, 1 burnout)
Hamstring curl (1 superset)
Calve raises (strip sets to failure)

Back/Biceps
Wide grip pull-ups (4 sets to failure)
One arm rows (4 sets, 1 burnout)
Lat-bar pulldown (1 superset)
Dumbell curls (4 sets to failure)
Reverse curls (multiple supersets)

(This routine may look familar to some people .. yes I was a sucker about a year ago). Anyway, when I say a burnout set, I'm referring to a set with much lighter weights than my last work set to completely fatigue the muscles. When I say superset I refer to taking no break between it and the last set of the last exercise.

I'll be increasing the weight with each work set, and going with a 8/6/4/2 rep pattern if I can. I think that's about it .. I'll update every workout day starting tomorrow.

Thanks in advance..

Man, I'm tired of this hardgainer whining. Most folks don't grow like weeds. Hard work over the long haul, regardless of your physical make-up, will produce results.

I'm no expert...

but I would increase the calorie intake if I were you. I think 2500 is average calorie intake for everyone. So I think maybe 3500-4500? Correct me if I'm wrong experts. Other than that, I think that looks fine if you stick to your plan.

If you have never trained with weights, then take the first month just to get adjusted to the most critical practices.

Focus on form, and nothing but form.
And then focus on pump.

8, 6, 4, 2 reps per set pattern is made for strength, if you are a "hardgainer" you'd rather think about 14, 12, 8, 6 rep pattern that is much more efficient for you considering your low training age.

Ofcourse the weight should increase as the reps decrease.

And dont get lost in the woods of knowledge, TRY OUT STUFF!

For knowledge can often give you the false assumption of having experience.

hmmmm?

well id say you should separate shoulders and chest. Do more chest exercises like try, flat bench, flat dumbells, incline bench then end with flies. do 4 to 5 sets for each excercise. Eat like a mad man, probably id say about 3000-3500 cals a day. Protein potein protein. Buy a protein shake, i reccomend metrx for gaining weight.

Seems like for eah body part you are doing too little amounts of excercise. Like i said maybe try doing 4 diff types per body part. Its justmy opinion though. Aloha

Maximum Intensity, The Dude:

This guy isn't whining, he is asking for advice.

You two ain't making it easier for people on this board who geniunely ask for help from others, and that's NOT very nice.

iwealth:

You got some good advice from kjwise already. I agree that if you are starting out you should not worry about doing low rep sets so much. Initially your body will make neuro-muscular strength gains which should be quite significant, don't be surprised to have your bench double or even triple in the first 3 months. But hypertrophy will usually only start once your body has exhausted neuro-muscular strength increase potential. Therefore you should focus on a higher rep range 8-12 or even 10-15 for now. Ensure that you lift with STRICT FORM. Bad habits form early - strict form will save you from possible injuries and wasted exercises.

I can't find much fault in your routine, I may add a deadlift to your back/bicep day. Make sure you don't spend more than 90 minutes at a time lifting and that your muscles recover before working them again.

hardgainer (not whining, proud to be a hardgainer)
(stay hard and keep gaining)

Badboy, you're advice is not bad, hey has to increase his calorie intake to 3500 - 4000 kcal. Whey hardgainers really burn much energy!

I know he wasn't whining, but everyone throws that damn label around so much. I just felt compelled to bitch about hardgainer whining in general and wasn't directing it at iwealth. However, to label yourself as such from the beginning probably set me off just as much.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. I was hoping to start my workouts and diet plan Wednesday morning, but I awoke to find my mother gravely ill. I rushed her to the hospital where they found that she had an ovarian cyst which needed to be removed immediately. Luckily, the surgery went very well, and she is doing much, much better.

So...tomorrow will be the day now that my nerves have finally calmed down. :)

The Dude: You are absolutely right about it being premature to label myself a "hardgainer." Hell, I may find that I pack on mass extremely fast. There's no way of knowing since I've never trained nor kept a decent diet in my life. I guess I just figured since I know plenty of people who've never trained or ate properly yet are still quite a bit larger than I am that I would have a difficult time.

I just match up with the "small wrist, small ankle" label pretty well. I do hope though that my hard work and dedication brings me at least some visible results.

Anyway, I'll post weekly updates letting everyone know how my progress is going (if anyone cares :)

Thanks again.

Top Bottom