Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cycling protein intake while cutting

C

Cuts

I read about this concept a couple of years ago... it's by the Swedish researcher Torbjorn Akerfeldt... the same guy who came up with the Anabolic Burst (ABCDE) system. It's for when you're trying to cut/lose fat, and it basically goes like this:

Daily calories: BW x 10-12
Macronutrient ratios: 20/50/30 (P/C/F)
Key here is that protein is at a low .5g/lb BW

So far, nothing special, right?

The TWIST: you do this for 3 days, then, for the next 3 days, you TRIPLE YOUR PROTEIN INTAKE to 1.5g/lb BW, while keeping the amount of carbs and fats THE SAME AS THE FIRST 3 DAYS.

Example using a 200lb man:

Daily calories: 2000 cal/day
First 3 days:
Macs: 20/50/30 = 100 g Protein x 4cal/g = 400 cal
= 250g Carbs x 4cal/g = 1000 cal
= 67g Fat x 9cal/g = 600 cal

Next 3 days:
Keep the amounts of carbs and fats THE SAME, while increasing protein to 300g. Of course, this will obviously also increase the daily cal intake to 2800.

Logic:
According to Dr. Akerfeldt, the body is a very efficient biochemical machine. Our bodies adjust their metabolic systems by enzyme and receptor up and down regulation according to what sort of environment they are exposed to... with the ultimate goal being to preserve homeostasis. Dr. Akerfeldt claimed that maintaining chronically high protein intakes would up regulate the biochemical "protein ridding" systems and a bodybuilder would quickly experience diminishing returns from the excess proteing consumption. This, he claimed, could be prevented by intermittently lowering protein intake to maintainence levels... i.e. 0.5g/lb BW, an amount that he felt is sufficient to MAINTAIN muscle mass, while at the same time being low enough as to not kick-start the protein dumping systems (e.g. Urea cycle enzymes, transaminases, etc.) After 3 days at this relatively low protein intake level, the body will be primed to take in and store any more protein that it is provided with (i.e. storage in the muscles)... that is when we switch gears and go to 1.5g/lb BW. The body will "suck up" this protein fast and furiously, but since this state is only temporary, it must be limited to 3 days so as not to upregulate those protein ridding systems. Dr. Akerfeldt claims that fat loss and muscle maintainence are guaranteed with this system... in fact, he goes on to declare that muscle GAIN is indeed possible too.

What do ya'll think?

DO YA'LL KNOW HOW LONG IT TOOK ME TO TYPE THIS!?

lol ;) ... alright, I'll debate with myself. This program makes total sense, from a scientific standpoint. However, does it work IN REAL LIFE?

Nada?

C'mon! This might be the biggest thing since Penicillin ;) !!!

BUMP :rolleyes:

interesting...

I also read about this and was thinking about trying it. It seems to make sense, but I guess trying it would be the only way to really find out. If anyone has tried it, speak up! Seems like it will work if your goal is to lose fat and gain a small amount of muscle w/o the use of steriods.

my only problem with this theory is that without use of AS the 3 day protein depletion might start to tear down muscle.
i am by no means a scientist, just my .02
i'd be curious to know if anybody's done this with success.

Top Bottom