Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

how long does it usually take to squat your weight?

evilqueen

I never know whether I'm asking idiotic questions. But here goes...

I'm 120 pounds, and am now able to squat 100 pounds (please don't laugh). I read that you're supposed to increase the weight by 5 to 10 percent each week.

If that's true, would it really only take from 7-14 weeks for me to squat 240 pounds? That seems awfully fast.

I'm not impatient, merely curious. I want to train right, and I don't want to hurt my back.

God, spat, 315...that's incredible. How long has it been since "Day 1"?

I did lower body twice this week, but now I'm thinking that if I had the strength to do it twice, I'm probably not lifting heavy enough. On the squats, I'm definitely going to try the reverse pyramid. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you.

Also, how many exercises should you do in one lower-body session? I've been doing

squats (100 lbs--I'm so ashamed)
leg presses (130 pounds--can definitely go up on this one)
leg raises on machine (on day 2, I do lunges w/20-lb. dumbbells)
hamstring curls on machine
deadlifts (20 pounds...egads)

Is this too many exercises? Critiques/feedback would be most welcome.

Thanks again, everyone, for all the great advice...you're all very generous!

If you don't mind my saying so...one year? HOLY SHIT! (Thanks for your routine, but I don't understand some of the jargon--I'm gonna have my boyfriend translate it for me.) :)

I'm thinking maybe I should find myself a trainer. I've actually been thinking about this for a month now. It might be easier to make significant progress if I had someone knowledgable to guide me.

This may be a long shot, but if anyone reading this knows of a trainer who lives in the Lehigh Valley area of PA, please PM me. I don't want to have to hit the yellow pages. I could go on some of the fitness websites, but that's still not the same as a word-of-mouth referral.

Granted I have a little chemical assistance going on here but my second chest day with this format and I went up 10# per dumbell on inclines, declines and flyes - this was without a spotter, had I had one I would have gone up even more.

Just printed out your leg day. Here are the questions....

1. Squats: Did you mean you were doing five sets, starting with 135 pounds and ending with 315? Or were you just takling about your progession to 315? As for me, doing the reverse pyramid, how many sets? Like, 5?

2. Leg press: When you say "plates," how much does each plate weigh?

3. Walking db lunges...one walk around the track, immediately followed by [how many sets] of extensions?

4. No hack squat machine at my gym...is there a good substitute?

My leg routine only takes me about 40 minutes...bet if I did an hour, I'd barely be able to move.

Good. :)

Awesome lifts there Spatt! Good luck at the powerlifting meet.

I have a question though, my squat is crappy. If I go too much, it hurts my back, and I use very good form. I think it's because of my height (6'3 1/2). It becomes more of a lower back exercise, while a friend of mine is 5'6 and can squat properly no problem. So, I use deadlifts as my main power exercise for legs, lower back and overall. I can do very heavy weight in those. Are some people just too tall for the squat? Can I get by with deads, and leg press instead?

HOLY SHIT! I just tried a few with an old bar I had in the garage, using your methods, and it works. I was able to go straight up and down no problem. The crap I read in books, on mfw, and seen people do in the past three years, never explained or showed like that, and I used to think it was *me*, that I just wasn't meant to squat. Thank you soooo much. :) <-------- Happy happy happy c3bodybuilding boy

Now for another question, I know, I know, being a mod you get thousands a day, but I promise to really listen and not let it go one ear out the other if you help! LOL... On rep range, I always did 3-5 reps, and most people say thats more for strength. But I was able to get from 144.5-218 that way in 3 years (no chemical assitance) that way, but I *feel* as if I could get *more* out of my routines. Would lowering my weight slightly and doing more reps be more beneficial to build maximum amount of muscle? Say 6-10 reps instead? Thank you so much again.

Top Bottom