Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Revamping routine....please help choose exercises

pitbullrocco

i am wanting to go upper/lower split as below. i'd like to hear which exercises work best for yall for 1. size, then 2. strength......back/abs will go to heavy days as noted.

monday - upper heavy
---------------------
decline bench (or regular bench or switch every other week?)
dips
skulls
preacher curls
military press
upright row
shrugs

tuesday - lower light
--------------------
squat
leg ext & curls
lunge
donkey raises
seated raises
hyperextensions

wed - rest

thursday - upper light
---------------------
incline db flyes
arnold press (or put this on the heavy day?)
tricep lever extensions (or kickbacks?)
front/side laterals
standing curls

friday - lower heavy
-------------------
squat
leg press
stiff legs
deadlifts
this is where i can't decide between the 4 above....i want to hit all, but i know better....also don't want to put any of them on the light day....help!
donkey raises
seated raises
reverse calf press
(notice i'm trying to hit all 3 calf muscles)
chins
rows

now....is there absolutely no benefit to say switching squats for presses every other week? i know those are redundant anyway, but would it matter or just stick to squats? or what about on friday do an A and B and alternate weeks, like say:
A - do the squats & deads, then next week
B - do the presses & stiffs

no?

appreciate the thoughts....

What I would do, is pick 4-5 exercises to really push during a training block (say 4-6 weeks)....the only thing I would sub in and out every other week is deadlifts. I'd start with a rep range, say 4's or 5's or 8's or whatever, and do about 25 total reps (4x6, 6x4, 5x5, 3x8) and begin the block by leaving a lot in the tank and work towards a PRs in the final 2 weeks or so.

I always liked back squats or front squats......deadlifts and cleans......flat bench and behind the neck presses or push presses.

I wouldn't worry about arm work excessively.....after a pressing workout, add in triceps stuff at the end, and after a workout when you pull, add in biceps work at the end of that......but I would focus on improving your 4-5 selected compound lifts rather than worry about hitting everything you've got with everything and the kitchen sink.

BiggT said:
What I would do, is pick 4-5 exercises to really push during a training block (say 4-6 weeks)....the only thing I would sub in and out every other week is deadlifts. I'd start with a rep range, say 4's or 5's or 8's or whatever, and do about 25 total reps (4x6, 6x4, 5x5, 3x8) and begin the block by leaving a lot in the tank and work towards a PRs in the final 2 weeks or so.

I always liked back squats or front squats......deadlifts and cleans......flat bench and behind the neck presses or push presses.

I wouldn't worry about arm work excessively.....after a pressing workout, add in triceps stuff at the end, and after a workout when you pull, add in biceps work at the end of that......but I would focus on improving your 4-5 selected compound lifts rather than worry about hitting everything you've got with everything and the kitchen sink.

Not to hijack the thread, but i'm doing something very similar to this for the next 4 weeks. Problem for me is I dont know wat to start with in terms of rep ranges. I want to increase my Flat bench and push press, as well as my front and olympic backsquat. How would u work in pendlay rows, weighted dips/chins, etc? Also, my front squat is really non existent just because I have just started to pay it attention- I feel I can defeintly make progress in a linear fashion at least for the next few weeks, and I have just been kinda working up to top sets of 5 each time I do it.- does this sound about right? And I'm kinda at a loss for wat to do with my backsquat on the other Lb day

JIMguy said:
Not to hijack the thread, but i'm doing something very similar to this for the next 4 weeks. Problem for me is I dont know wat to start with in terms of rep ranges. I want to increase my Flat bench and push press, as well as my front and olympic backsquat. How would u work in pendlay rows, weighted dips/chins, etc? Also, my front squat is really non existent just because I have just started to pay it attention- I feel I can defeintly make progress in a linear fashion at least for the next few weeks, and I have just been kinda working up to top sets of 5 each time I do it.- does this sound about right? And I'm kinda at a loss for wat to do with my backsquat on the other Lb day

5's are generally preferred because it is out of a neural range, and it isn't endurance, and people eem to be able to add weight more consistently than when they are in an 8-10 range.....if you want to PM me what you're doing now, or start a thread, I'd be happy to offer my input.

BiggT said:

thanks biggt....i hear ya about focusing on the compound exercises.....good call....and i've been at the 5x5 for a few weeks now, focusing on strength and size.....its really worked.....i'll incorporate your suggestions about the arms at the end....that should work out perfect, since upper is looking good anyway....

so on my heavy lower friday, which exercise should i swap out the deads for every other week? the presses? that way i still get my stiffs in every week? the only reason i want to push my legs so hard is to bring them proportional to my upper, which has blew up since starting current cyc....

yo jim....the 5x5 works pretty well if you hit it hard.....notice i had chins/rows on my heavy leg day.....but after biggT's post, i'm thinking of moving one or both to my heavy arm day, since bi's and tri's will be just "addendums" now.....and i want to keep my light days LIGHT as possible.....this is the major change i'm making since i was feeling like i was starting to be overtraining doing heavy's twice a week.....i kinda pulled a few things and took extra rest days and wow it made a world of difference....both in size, strength and recovery.....

aite, 10-4

oh, i forgot to ask on last post.....they got this cute little (lol) deadlift "machine" at my gym.....its got a few handles in different positions.....but the bars are positioned at 12 and 6 if you're looking down....instead of a free weight, where the bar is 9 and 3. is there any advantage to this at all? or just stick to the free weight deads??

aite

Top Bottom