Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Quick question about forearms

vnlegend

Hey everyone,

I go to the gym about twice a week because I know I can't eat enough to work out 3-4 times a week, I have school and classes are at random times. But anyway, I've noticed that the length (duration) of my workouts depends on how fast my forarms become stiff, as in you can't really grip well or use your forarms much anymore.

Here's part of my routine

Monday or Tuesday (whenever)
Legs
- details unimportant
Back
- 4x8 Lat pulldowns on machine/lever machine
- 3x7 Assisted chinups (to basically max out the lats)
- 2x8 Rows on a lever kind of machine

Anyway, I find that after doing the back exercises, I barely have any strength in the forarms for grip for doing additional exercises (like dumbbell bicep curls or dumbbell rows). They become stiff, so I leave the gym and they remain stiff for maybe 15 mins later.

So anyway, I don't really understand what's going on? Do I have weak forarms? I play the guitar, I shouldn't really.. Do I need lifting gloves? The handles for the lat pulldown machine is kinda hurty (mini spikes designed to help grip).

Well anyway, I'd appreciate any help. I also understand that my workouts may lack things and there could be better exercises that I should be doing, but that's not why I'm here. I'm here because of the forarms problem.

Thanx

I'm not sure what you mean by they become "stiff." If you mean they become weak, then this thread may be helpful http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=299336

personally I found that deadlifts made my forearms grow quite a bit once I started doing them. Of course to do them only if you're interested in forearm strength would be dumb.

Also in the future you should make up a fake leg routine because no legs = big trouble around here :p

It could be any number of things. Your grip may be weak, you may be getting a 'pump' in that area causing discomfort, and any other number of things. If it's your grip there's nothing like deadlifts without straps or gloves. That may help your problem.

Also, you have to remember that biceps and forearms get a lot of work when doing back stuff. They may just be too burned out after back to do any direct work. Now if thats the case, don't worry! If you're doing compound back movements, they will grow even if you don't do direct forearm and bicep work.

I hope any of the above helps, if it doesn't I'll try to figure something else out. You've certainly come to the right place. There's lot's of great people on this training board who can help you. :)

Ps. Try to do less pulldown type movements, and more rowing. Bent over barbell or old fashioned t-bar rows would be best.

I have a legs routine but it doesn't really affect my forearms so I didn't bother writing it out.

By stiff, it's like the muscle is as hard as it can possibly be. So if you try to flex it, it doesn't get harder. It feels like the muscle is pumped and there's a lot of pressure, I guess. Something like that.

---------

Also, at the moment I'm focusing on building body width (so u look wider from the front/back) so I focus on lats. I'm not sure what muscles rowing hits, general back? I notice that rowing uses the middle-inner back muscles though. And although that's nice, it's not that important to me right now as the lats.

Thanx for all the help

Rows are good for back thickness and width. But for width, then yes pulldown/chin movements will give you more of what you are looking for.

From what you just typed it does sound like a pump. Pumps can sometimes be painful (especially the dreaded dbol pump! LOL). If thats the case, then don't give it much thought. It sounds like your forearms and biceps are getting enough work from your back movements.

Top Bottom