Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Machine only training

SteveMobsterG

EF Logger
So... an observation

As many know we encourage all our members to run online an d on our forums logs. We do this because it means we can, providing the information is detailed enough, assistance and advice on your diet, cardio and training.

Now, going back to when print magazines pretty much first started, there were arguments about freeweights (dumbbells, barbells etc (inc kettlebells, clubs and the like too)) vs machines. There ARE absolutely some machines which work amazingly and have movements you do on them which cannot be replicated with freeweight. There are also some machines, such as old school Nautilus kit, which are highly regarded by many. For some, if you're the right height, most machines are ok.

However, if you ONLY use machines you're missing out. The reason, for example, a barbell squat is so god-damned hard and effective is cos you're not only working the legs but a bunch of other muscles too. Just holding the bar on the traps and not falling ass over tit is working a bunch of muscles.

The argument is (as I've seen) 'I'm able to focus purely on my quads'. Fine. Even true. But there are very few you have built quads worth a mention without using freeweights. I'll go so far as to claim that a good majority of examples I've seen are literally missing out on gains by not making the workout as hard, brutal and effective as possible. You WILL use more energy squatting a bar vs a machine which means burning more fat too (if on a diet / cut).

Some will have injuries. That's ok.

Here's a thing I do - you can see this in my log. I rotate exercises. I'm not pounding away on tired and sore joints (much lol) if it takes me four weeks to do the same leg workout again. On back that might mean 7-8 weeks. Arms are currently two weeks as are shoulders. Heck forearm work is two weeks. And yes I mix in machine and freeweight work.

And there's a clincher - every single high level pro I can think of, male or female, uses some combination machines and freeweights.

Thus endeth the lesson

So... an observation

As many know we encourage all our members to run online an d on our forums logs. We do this because it means we can, providing the information is detailed enough, assistance and advice on your diet, cardio and training.

Now, going back to when print magazines pretty much first started, there were arguments about freeweights (dumbbells, barbells etc (inc kettlebells, clubs and the like too)) vs machines. There ARE absolutely some machines which work amazingly and have movements you do on them which cannot be replicated with freeweight. There are also some machines, such as old school Nautilus kit, which are highly regarded by many. For some, if you're the right height, most machines are ok.

However, if you ONLY use machines you're missing out. The reason, for example, a barbell squat is so god-damned hard and effective is cos you're not only working the legs but a bunch of other muscles too. Just holding the bar on the traps and not falling ass over tit is working a bunch of muscles.

The argument is (as I've seen) 'I'm able to focus purely on my quads'. Fine. Even true. But there are very few you have built quads worth a mention without using freeweights. I'll go so far as to claim that a good majority of examples I've seen are literally missing out on gains by not making the workout as hard, brutal and effective as possible. You WILL use more energy squatting a bar vs a machine which means burning more fat too (if on a diet / cut).

Some will have injuries. That's ok.

Here's a thing I do - you can see this in my log. I rotate exercises. I'm not pounding away on tired and sore joints (much lol) if it takes me four weeks to do the same leg workout again. On back that might mean 7-8 weeks. Arms are currently two weeks as are shoulders. Heck forearm work is two weeks. And yes I mix in machine and freeweight work.

And there's a clincher - every single high level pro I can think of, male or female, uses some combination machines and freeweights.

Thus endeth the lesson
@SteveMobsterG I think rotating machines and freeweights is the key to long term growth but avoiding machines is overplay

Top Bottom