Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My [Least] favorite training myths.

D

Debaser

Althought there are many training myths, there are a few that many still seem to cling to, despite the evidence or logic to the contrary. Feel free to add your own to this thread, or discuss my personal choices.

1. INCLINES RULE! Inclines are by far the best chest builder, and fill out your upper chest like no other!

Wrong. Inclines are a great movement, as is almost any compound pressing motion. But this reasoning is flawed for a couple reasons. First of all, by upper chest you really mean the clavicular portion, which is a lot smaller than you probably think it is. Also, regular bench presses performed correctly hits this JUST AS MUCH! Inclines actually hit the sternal part to a lesser degree as well! In other words, they don't hit the pecs completely quite as much as flat presses. They do hit the shoulders a bit more (the higher the incline, the higher the shoulder recruitment). Therefore, it's a great movement, but not the magic cure-all that many make it out to be.

2. Low reps hit this fiber type, higher reps hit this type, I only grow off of low reps, high reps etc.

Progressive load is the key growth factor. If you increase your 5 rep squat by 300 lbs, or your 20 rep squat by 200 lbs, you're going to see some serious growth either way. The whole fiber type thing is a bunch of BS, many trainees worry about it (and other pointless minutae) so much that they lose their focus on important matters and end up not succeeding whatsoever.

3. You should change up your routine constantly so you shock the muscles, because they adapt to a certain training routine.

Again, progressive load (adding weight to the bar session after session) results in building muscle. There is no way to “shock growth” into a muscle. Your muscles do not “adapt” to a certain routine, thereby requiring that you “change it up” constantly (the result of slow or nonexistent progress for many). Muscles don't know what the hell you're doing to them, only that they're experiencing tension. They adapt to a certain load, requiring that you increase said load next time around, but that’s all. Muscles are not intelligent. Rant over.

Also, a single routine CAN get one very far. Cases in point: Westside. Hardgainer magazine. DC training. HST. There are several people on each of these routines that don't "switch it up" and have made constant gains.

Do you think after you gain XX lbs of muscle on, say, DC training, your body is going to say "whoops, that's too much, until he changes his set and rep scheme we're going to stay at this weight." No way. Your body does not adapt in that way. Your muscles merely adapt to a certain load, requiring that you increase the load each session to make progress.

Change is necessary. You can't add weight to the bar forever. Eventually you will plateau and something will need to be changed. If this was a myth, I'd be deadlifting 1,200 lbs by now.

I'd go mad doing the same routine week in, week out. I keep the exercises that work but I'm always tinkering with rep ranges, sets etc. it's necessary after a few years to keep you 'fresh' as much as anything else.

slobberknocker said:
Change is necessary. You can't add weight to the bar forever. Eventually you will plateau and something will need to be changed. If this was a myth, I'd be deadlifting 1,200 lbs by now.

Slobber the rate of gain may change as you get more experienced. Also, if you switched to a routine and saw better gains, it's because there was something fundamentally better about that routine that helped your deadlift. It wasn't due to the mere fact that you changed your routine.

Tweakle I'm not saying you have to stick with the same routine forever, I'm just saying that you don't NEED to switch it up constantly to progress.

Thaibox said:
recently posted by Arnold'sApprentice:

"he's probably the most knowledgable guy in this forum"

I'd rather you contribute something meaningful to the post. Perhaps a logical counter argument to what I've listed, or adding one of your own myths?

Debaser said:

Slobber the rate of gain may change as you get more experienced. Also, if you switched to a routine and saw better gains, it's because there was something fundamentally better about that routine that helped your deadlift. It wasn't due to the mere fact that you changed your routine.

I'm not talking about switching to a different routine. The routine stays the same. All that changes is the weight; i.e. periodization.

I believe in progressive resistance, but I also believe that you will eventually plateau and weights will need to be cycled.

Let's stay I can add 5-10 lbs a week on my deadlifts. I'll do that as long as I possibly can, but at some point, my muscles and CNS just can't handle any more weight. So let's say I plateau at 735. The next week, I will drop maybe 70 lbs, and start the progressive increase over again, adding 10 lbs a week until a new plateau is reached.

665, 675, 685, 695, 705, 715, 725, 735. After 8 weeks I've reached my old PR. After that I usually have another month or so where I can continue to hit new PR's. But again, I will eventually reach a new plateau, but this one will be higher than the previous one.

20-40 lbs on your compound lifts in 3 months is nothing to sneeze at. Especially when you're already pretty strong.

The term "change" get's intermixed with "variety" all to often in this age-old discussion. Part of the reason WSB works is due to the endless variety of lifts and moves. (I mention WSB because that's how I train, and that's what I know.) Call it shocking the muscles, keeping them guessing, whatever.....Variety IS needed.

I've heard it said, "If you need to keep switching programs, there is something wrong with the way you are training."

Joker

Reactions: Cut
I see what you are saying, but I think there are some advantages to switching routines every now and then. Namely to hit weak parts and so forth. In other words, adding something like close stance front squats if your quads are lagging behind your hamstrings/glutes from wide stance back squats... The "shock factor" that people speak so colloquially of really just means the different movements stress different muscles and can make sure you don't build any imbalances...

joker, where can I find out about WSB so I can better understand what you mean by "variety"? variety meaning diff exercises every time you hit the gym?

Top Bottom