Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Which Squats would YOU choose and Why?

havoc

Shaolin Ninja
Ok, here is the scenario, You squat every week , heavy , perfect form, probably too low. One week you do around 3 sets of 8 reps with 455, next week you do 3 sets of 5 reps with 495 always ending each squat session with a set of 20-25 reps with 315. Also in that same week you add some deadlifts maybe 3 days prior to your leg day always deadlifting some ridiculous amount of shit taxing the living fuck out of your body. Now lets say you want to maybe cut out regular, traditional squats for one week and continue to alternate meaning one week you would squat and another week you would do:
A. Front Squats
B. Smith Machine Squats
C. Feet touching, pointing straight ahead high rep squats.

Which one would you choose and why? Keeping in mind that you have 4-5 exercises to go after your squat session is done. Please dont say start off with Leg press because that isnt an option. peace

Thought I would get some replies to this bitch, here is some advice, where the weight is included enter your own ok? Lifting like this all the time taxes the body so what would you do?

Front Squats...Period. No question about it....And, I would do them on the Smith Machine, simply because of the balance aspect of the movement.

The thing I like about front squats is it requires you to use perfect form. If you bow your back even remotely, the bar catches....Now for a little twist....

Take your time and go up to a 4 rep max....Take a decent break....Then do strip sets, with no rest, to utter failure.....Hence the reason for the Smith Machine....If not strip sets, the traditional squat rack will suffice....Heh heh heh.....Of course it never fails when ya do them in the rack, you get tired, your form slips a bit, and the entire bar slides right off your delts.....And as always, there is a bunch of hot chicks watching....

Heh heh heh.....:)

Straight legged deadlifts, done Sumo style with heavy dumbells is nice too Bro....

Ranger

If I understood that correctly, you are doing deadlifts every other week.

I would choose Front Squats on the week that I deadlift. They'd focus on the quads and would be easier on your back and glutes which are already getting hit with the deads that week.

i just tried this

just last week i alternated my squat routine due to deadlifts. i went to smith machine squats and then did hack squats just for the hell of it. That was on sunday and i can still barely walk.

hello havoc;
first of all i dont do smith machines...EVER so thats out for me, secondly i never do feet touching because for me it puts stress on my knees, and its difficult to stay perfectly centered and still, unless on smithmachine.

IF it were me, i would do front squats, the isolate the quads more in comparison to the traditional squat; perhaps a 10lbs plate under each heal would isolate the quads even further.

i get the impression that you like heavy deads; so do i, but as you know the glutes come into play quite a bit when doing deads, therefore, doing the traditional squat weekly with deads, would put additional stress on the glutes, on the other hand, front squats will allow better recovery from both dead and squat sessions; and on top of that better quad isolation.

btw i love front squats, i actually prefer it to the traditional; because of the very reason i mentioned above.

hope this helps a bit

i would def pick C;for myself,i train exactly the way you stated and w/ practically the same weight;there is no sub for squats,but as you stated,it is taxing especially when considering you still have additionnal compound movements up ahead of the same workout.i alternate w/ C and this has enhanced that "sweep" i was looking for,finally giving me the "X" appearance i've been looking for.PEACE!

Well Holy Shit, I leave for a green tea excursion, come back and have all this beautiful info to look at, sincere thanks for all the replies. Much Love. peace

I think front squats are far underestimated. As Ranger said, they require you to use perfect form and concentrate on the stretch and squeeze.

But I don't use low reps with them. I usually go 225 for 12-15 reps. I do mine with free weights, ankles about 6 inches apart, heels raised on board (to the keep the stress on my knees and not my heels and glutes) and I go deep until my hams are pressed tight against my calves.

Top Bottom