Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Which Squats would YOU choose and Why?

Cornholio said:

Warik - can you explain why smith squats are worse for the knees than free weight squats?

From Charles Poliquin's The Poliquin Principles pg. 72

In regard to machines that attempt to duplicate the Squat, the basic problem is that many of them can reduce the pressure on the back and place significant stress on the knees. Take for example the ever-popular Smith machine. The Smith bar makes it possible to squat in a manner that allows you to lean back against the barbell, thereby supporting your back and minimizing hip extension during the exercise. What this does is take the hamstrings out of the movement. The hamstrings, however, are the muscle group that helps stabilize the kneecap. The result is unnaturally high shearing forces that try to pull the joint apart, as well as tremendous stress on the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), one of the primary ligaments in the knee capsule that provides stability to the knee. For this reason, I would discourage you from using the Smith machine, or at least only use it on an infrequent basis.

smith_squat.jpg

The illustration on the left shows the shearing forces placed on the knee during a Smith machine squat. These are caused by the lack of involvement of the hamstrings. The illustration on the right shows how the force dissipates throughout the lower leg when performing a Squat.

-Warik

Good call, I'm going to do the workout I outlined above for a while, I believe it will help, Corn, thanks bro. peace

that makes sense, warik. just from the fact that my hams are guaranteed to be torn up after squatting free weight style. hell they are still sore right now from monday's abuse. that and just watching people squat on a smith machine looks more painful than free weight squatting the way they are slammed up against the bar completely supported by it. i have never done smith machine squats and will continue to do them free weights style.

To each his own. Like I said I still lift from a powerlifting and athletic point of view and backsquatting is the exercise that allows me to perform at the highest possible level. Until I start focusing more on bodybuilding, which could be any time now, I feel more comfortable making regular squats the backbone of my leg workout.

IAN KING:

The Evil Smith Machine

Q: I read in one of your past articles that you think the leg-extension machine has its place, despite all the recent backlash against it. How about the evil Smith machine? I do regular squats and benches, but sometimes throw in some Smith machine work too. That okay?

A: Yes, how about that "evil'" Smith machine! I'm surprised that there hasn't been some sort of anti-American senate inquiry into the use of this poor device! I really don't know what all the fuss has been about, although I suspect that some appreciate and exploit fully the marketing benefits of sensationalism, all at the expense of some poor old harmless piece of steel. Machines don't cause injuries! They don't do a thing in fact, short of sit there. Humans do things on them.

When you "threw in" the Smith machine did it do anything for you? Did it cause you muscle pain or fatigue? Well if it did, you don't need to ask me if it worked! You hold the answer. And you don't need to seek my forgiveness for being a non-conformist and doing things on that evil Smith machine. That's what the confession box is for!

Thick I bet if you focused less on other male crotches during your workouts your intensity could be increased even more.

i agree with front squats as well..thye emphasize quads more and it will be more fun because you are doing a new routine so will probably gain stregnth pretty quickly...peace

and wow, i havent seen rather be deadlifting in a while..

Re: IAN KING:

Cornholio said:
The Evil Smith Machine

Q: I read in one of your past articles that you think the leg-extension machine has its place, despite all the recent backlash against it. How about the evil Smith machine? I do regular squats and benches, but sometimes throw in some Smith machine work too. That okay?

A: Yes, how about that "evil'" Smith machine! I'm surprised that there hasn't been some sort of anti-American senate inquiry into the use of this poor device! I really don't know what all the fuss has been about, although I suspect that some appreciate and exploit fully the marketing benefits of sensationalism, all at the expense of some poor old harmless piece of steel. Machines don't cause injuries! They don't do a thing in fact, short of sit there. Humans do things on them.

When you "threw in" the Smith machine did it do anything for you? Did it cause you muscle pain or fatigue? Well if it did, you don't need to ask me if it worked! You hold the answer. And you don't need to seek my forgiveness for being a non-conformist and doing things on that evil Smith machine. That's what the confession box is for!

I also find it interesting that the ones with a beef against the Smith are the ones who have never tried the exercise.

No offense but it reminds me of a qoute:

"It's hard to use your peripheral vision when being led by the nose."

Peace bros.

Re: IAN KING:

Cornholio said:
When you "threw in" the Smith machine did it do anything for you? Did it cause you muscle pain or fatigue?

So do lat pulldowns behind the neck.

=)

-Warik

Re: Re: IAN KING:

Warik said:

So do lat pulldowns behind the neck.

=)

-Warik

Tue dat!! Those are not movements for the lats anyway. They are mid-range movements for mid back.

Try this: face away from the pulldown stack and use a rope grip with 50-65% of your normal weight. This allows you to pull low enuf to contract the midback muscles while allowing independent shoulder rotation thru-out the movement. Facing away also negates having to lean and crook the neck to clear the bar.

Top Bottom