Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Which Squats would YOU choose and Why?

Havoc - my .02

Based on your choices - I would include Front Squats on the Smith. Regular squats on the Smith with the feet together and way out in front of you throws emphasis right on the quads in the same way that sissy squats do. My top pick would be hacks though.

Last edited:
You are much stronger than myself and do much higher volume, but I would choose the front squats from that list also. They should do you well and if you haven't been doing them, expect to get sore as fuck!!

Man, I was gonna say smith squats, I have never tried front squats ever. By reading this post I am all excited for leg day now. Lookin forward to being sore!!!

...Sounds to me like Fronts get the nod Havoc.

Well thanks again brothers, this has helped me alot and I have decided on the following for this week.

Front Squats
Hack Squats
Feet together Squats(smith)
Single Leg leg press
Lying leg curl/superset with ext.
Single leg curl/superset with ext.

You guys have no idea how important this shit is to me, sincere thanks again, peace

Front squats.....but I'd do it with a wider sumo stance.

Reasoning: influences more muscle groups (quads, hams, abduc, adduc, glute) as well support groups (abs, back), requires a higher degree of form and concentration, and more joint stability

Another vote here for Front Squats. The adverse effects of smith machine squats on one's knees are enough to keep me away from that. Front Squats have been shown time and time to actually be more effective for quad development than back squats. "Feet touching, pointing straight ahead high rep squats?" I don't like high rep stuff...

Front squats for me.

-Warik

havoc said:
Well thanks again brothers, this has helped me alot and I have decided on the following for this week.

Front Squats
Hack Squats
Feet together Squats(smith)
Single Leg leg press
Lying leg curl/superset with ext.
Single leg curl/superset with ext.

You guys have no idea how important this shit is to me, sincere thanks again, peace

havoc - I think that looks very good.

BTW - my hams REALLY improved when I began supersetting Stiff-leg dumbell deads with seated leg curls. Grab a pair of dumbells(I use 80) and do the deads right beside the leg curl machine. This grouping provides a stretch position that is followed immediately by a contracted position. I have been doing the following leg program and my hams as well as vastus medialis(right above the knee) have improved dramatically:

Leg extensions - simply as a warm up.
Leg curls as warm up
Use standing calf machine to stretch calves

Squats 4-5 sets of 20-6 reps using 135-365
Hack Squats (super deep) 4 sets of 8-12 reps using 2 45's on each side
4 rounds of the deads-leg curls keeping reps low(6-8) on the deads and higher on the leg curls(12-15)

4 rounds of supersetting leg extensions(8-10 with a 2 second hold at the top) and leg press(6-10 reps with feet together and at the very top of the platform - 5 plates per side)

Good luck Wigga.

Warik said:
Another vote here for Front Squats. The adverse effects of smith machine squats on one's knees are enough to keep me away from that. Front Squats have been shown time and time to actually be more effective for quad development than back squats. "Feet touching, pointing straight ahead high rep squats?" I don't like high rep stuff...

Front squats for me.

-Warik

Warik - can you explain why smith squats are worse for the knees than free weight squats?

Cornholio, will give that a go, just needed something different, heavy squatting every week has become monotonous and hard on the mind. peace

I will second everybody's sentiments on front squats. I don't like them with smith machines though.

Another idea that is a little out there, that I like to employ on non-traditional leg workout days is interval sprints. I start out at a walking pace, then bump the treadmill up to 12 mph and go. I consider each 1 - 1 1/2 minute sprint a set. I do about five sets with a minute or two of fast-paced walking inbetween. Then I move on to the next exercise of my workout (in this case, hack squats).

You could also try skier squats as described by Ian King on the hack squat. You use relatively light weight, keep your feet close and do reps using the following protocol: 1/4 way down, count to six, 1/2 way down, count to six, 3/4 way down, count to six, explode back to the top. Do six reps this way, followed by six full range reps with no pause. Do 3 - 4 total sets.

Since you like deading, you could also do trap bar DLs.

Just a few more ideas...

Top Bottom