Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Should I use heavier weights

pinneyshome

i worked my legs last night for about 45 mins doing three sets lunges 12 rep
each, leg press 3x12, leg curls 3x12, abducter & aducter 3x12 also and leg extensions,however i am not sore today. Should I increase my weights,

This is what I am using now, which is good compared to two months ago only using 25lb on most equipment, but now I don't feel sore the day after.

with lunges using 20lb dumbells
with leg press 120lbs
leg curls 45 llbs
abducter & adducter 100lbs
extensions about 50lbs

Also should I be working with more weights than cardio on a weekly basis?
I do cardio 5-6 times a week weights two to three times?

If your intensity is high and you are not exhausted by the workout you are doing now, sure! Rack 'em up! Generally if I am able to easily do 15 reps at any particular weight, I"ll go up another 5 lbs (or whatever is an appropriate increment for the exercise) and continue at that weight with a goal of 12 good reps for all my sets. If I am again able to go up to 15 reps, time to up the weight again.

I would also note that I usually feel more stiffness the day AFTER the day after a workout. So give it a day & see if you are still not sore. Otherwise the dimensions that you can work with on any set of exercises are 1) reps, 2) weight, 3) intensity. Well I guess actually you could add 4) speed or shorter rest / interval between sets. Above and beyond that, you can alter your exercises or even superset some of the exercises together to give your body a new challenge.

thanks sassy for the info. Of course the goal is to lose bf but main goal is to try to have some of the cellulite disappear. Im not overweight I am 5'4 at 116 lbs but the cellulite is so ugly on my hams and glutes. The more I started working with weights the more I like it. I was one of those who was afraid of it being too bulky but I have read too many posts to know it won't happen. But I am finding myself getting a little addicted to it. I feel exhausted at the end of the work out but the next day im not sore, I will see what tommorow brings. I

go heavy with the weights....barring injuries or recuperating from illness...this is rule no.#1....BB 101....

Soreness is no indication of how good a workout you have had. Generally when people first start they experience days of quite harsh muscle soreness as the muscles are simply not used to the stress you are putting them under. When you body gets used to lifting this subsides and I would say most people then have little to no soreness postworkout (I rarely do if I am on a standard program - No changes). If you change something then you can expect soreness again as your muscles adapt to the new movements and strains. However, having no soreness does NOT mean you are not making good gains and progress, as does having soreness does NOT mean that you are making great progress and gains. (I added some Hack Squats into my workout and boy these past few days have I known about it)

Soreness is no indicator of how good or bad your workout is. Your workout will tell you that. If you are going for high reps and you feel you are easily achieving each set without actually having to put effort into the last few reps then it is time to either increase the weight and keep the number of reps constant or (I would say more favourably if you are trying to gain) increase the weight and decrease the number of reps into the 4-8 range for each set (Where you have to *really* try to squeeze out the last few reps in each set). But what works for one doesn't for another, it is all about experimenting and seeing what is right for you. Just make sure you ignore that soreness as an indicator (Or like me ignore it until it comes to walking or trying to sit down :S)

i am learning to squat-it seems i have the worst form in history.
For some reason i keep arching my back-any tips on how to improve it-I am currently just doing it without weight until i get my form down. i use the hack squat at the gym but would love to master a squat with free weights. I have bad knees and so its really important to learn to do these correctly. i have checked out other web links showing me but i just cant seem to do it.

Build up your CORE STRENGTH.....abs, low back, hips, obliques ...... they will help stabilize and protect your back.

You seem to be at a good weight for your height so I would decrease the cardio and lift heavier.I noticed a big difference when I went from being a distance runner who lifted for strength training to a bodybuilder who lifted to get hard.i.e. cardio became second priority to weights.My legs were always fairly lean but the extra weight I was able to lift made more impact on my shape overall.

My lifting workouts also became much more enjoyable and productive - I wasn't so tired from so much cardio.

Top Bottom