Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

GF wants to compete in figure Diet/Training help

ptplaya65

Hey, My Girlfriend wants to compete in figure next may and i want to help her. I'm confused on how to start her out. What should her workouts consist of, and how should she eat? she is about 5'9 and 140 pounds. She is average build for a girl(on the skinny side). She has never lifted before but she has done cardio quite frequently. i was thinking of having her do this routine:
Monday: A.M. Cardio, Chest/Triceps

35-45 minutes Low Intensity Cardio
EXERCISE: (SETS) x (REPS)

* Incline Dumbbell Press - 2 x 8-12
* Flat Barbell Bench - 2 x 8-12
* Dips - 2 x 8-12
* Cable Crossovers - 2 x 8-12
* Skull Crushers - 2 x 8-12
Tuesday: Quads/Hamstrings/Calves:
* Squats- 2 x 8-12
* Seated Leg Curls- 2 x 8-12
* Walking Lunges- 2 x 8-12 (Each Leg)
* Straight Leg Dumbbell Deadlift- 2 x 8-12
* Seated Leg Extensions- 2 x 8-12
* Standing Calf Raises- 3 x 12-15
Wednesday: A.M. Cardio, Abs:
* Exercise Ball Crunch- 2 x 20-25
* Machine Crunches- 2 x 20-25
* Hanging Leg Raise- 2 x 10-12
* Bicycle Crunches- 2 x 20 (Each Leg)
Thursday: A.M. Cardio, Back/Biceps/Forearms:

* Lat Pulldowns- 2 x 8-12
* Barbell Rows- 2 x 8-12
* Good Mornings- 2 x 8-12
* Preacher Curls- 2 x 8-12
* Incline Dumbbell Curls- 2 x 8-12
* Barbell Wrist Curls- 3 x 10-12

Friday: A.M. Cardio, Delts/Traps:

* Dumbbell Military Press- 2 x 8-12
* Cable Front Lateral Raise- 2 x 8-12 (Each Arm)
* Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise- 2 x 8-12
* Smith Machine Shrugs- 3 x 10-12

Saturday: A.M. Cardio:

Sunday: OFF

She will start off with 1 set then gradually work up to the full routine.. Now since the show isnt for a while I was thinking of her to just right now cut out the junk, and start to eat clean food every 3-4 hours. Let me know what you think. Help is greatly apperiacted!

ptplaya65 said:
Hey, My Girlfriend wants to compete in figure next may and i want to help her. I'm confused on how to start her out. What should her workouts consist of, and how should she eat? she is about 5'9 and 140 pounds. She is average build for a girl(on the skinny side). She has never lifted before but she has done cardio quite frequently. i was thinking of having her do this routine:

* Dips - 2 x 8-12
* Squats- 2 x 8-12

* Barbell Rows- 2 x 8-12

She will start off with 1 set then gradually work up to the full routine.. Now since the show isnt for a while I was thinking of her to just right now cut out the junk, and start to eat clean food every 3-4 hours. Let me know what you think. Help is greatly apperiacted!

Welcome to EF, have you read the Shadow Project? I swear by it!!!

ptplaya65 said:

* Dips - 2 x 8-12
* Squats- 2 x 8-12

* Barbell Rows- 2 x 8-12

Welcome to EF, have you read "The Shadow Project"? It is on the stickies on the top of the page, I swear by it!!!

Find out her bodyfat - that will help guide w/ how much cardio vs lifting IMO. If you have almost a full year but not a long history of training, I personally think 3 sets instead of 2 but reps in the same range is better. Then as she works up in form & weight I'd suggest a period of some higher weight, lower rep and eat to fuel some muscle growth.

At that weight & height it sounds not like she has a lot fo bodyfat to lose but rather a lot of muscle to build -- to that end I think I'd rather see some time spent in lifting instead of cardio - keep it to 3 x/week and consider 1 session to be a HIIT session - I think that's a killer way to condition the body to handle bursts of energy and its a proven more efficient fat burner than low steadystate.

And on the reps - again assuming tight form or working towards tight form as she learns, make sure the intensity is balls to the wall. It is "sufficient" to drop some weight to go on stage in figure but the judging criteria always leans towards well-developed lats & delts as well as 6-pack (which is all diet) and long lean legs & perky bootie. It seem many women just don't have strong, well-developed / well -defined shoulders so I'd pay attention building that up w/ not heavy, but consistent shoulder & delt workouts:

- side laterals
- front laterals
- shrugs - some dont think these are worth it but I don't think they hurt
- upright rows - I prefer w/ dumbbells because the EZ bar grip can pinch your wrist
- cable "reverse" side laterals - i.e. stand in the center of the cable frame and pull both sides cables from high to low at your side but controlled.
- DB shoulder presses
- rear delt work

And then of course, yes clean up the diet but eat enough to build some muscle mass and remove the processed sugars & junk. Part of being new to competitoin dieting is just getting rid of all your old habits, clearing the sugar out of your body to remove the cravings and getting used to many weeks of boring food - but it is mind over matter - it doesn't have to be boring ,but it does mean changing your definition of what is "really damn tasty" food! (For ex, I, never in a million years, thought oatmeal would be one of my favorite meals of all times...)

Top Bottom