Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Full Body Workout - Low Reps <- would like some comments...

EnderJE

EF VIP
I thought I'd change a few things for the next few weeks as I ease back into the gym after throwing out my back and thought I'd try the following 3 times a week:

Squat
5 x 6

Bent Rows
5 x 6

Bench
5 x 6

SL Deadlift
4 x 6

Overhead Press
4 x 6

Chins
3 x failure

Dips
3 x failure

I thought I'd follow someone's advice and skip the isolation moves until I can hit 3 plates on the DL again.

Whatcha think?

as someone who works 3x a week deliberately not to failure, 6 sets of either squat or SL deadlift alone would be way too much.

A good guideline for volume is this:
-take how much you would do if you did a typical once/week split.
-divide that over how many days you're working the muscle

Everyone thinks hst is "low-volume" but I do exactly the same number of sets per week as most everybody else. THey just do it all on one day.

Thanks for the feedback. I was mainly using the workout to get myself back into the gym and work on my lower back. I threw it out last month. I'm hoping to get myself back to my former lifts as soon as possible.

That's why most of the workout hits the lower back in some way.

I tried it out today again and dropped two reps on each. For the first time, I finished most of it before the hour mark.

Thanks all for the feedback.

It's interesting how people's CNS very so much. I'd probably grow like a weed off that program, but then again, I like low reps and high sets for the most part. I generally train multiple sets 6-10 and low reps 1-5 for the big 3 and 3-8 reps for most others exercises except a few muscles that like the exact opposite and like relatively high reps. Of course I only train these exercises once a week. If I was gonna do that routine I prolly go heavy-light-medium on it. Alot of people make the mistake of thinking you can't make your muscles get big like a guy that does high reps and sets of 3 for his muscles, but you can. The key is total volume of reps. If you do 30 singles you will hypertrophy similar to if you did 3x10. I know the stimulation of both types of training are not the same, but it works. There are alot of very big muscled powerlifters and olympic lifters that do lots of sets and low reps that get big. The bodyweight weight and size is just a matter of diet. For bench I'll do 10x3, not to failure. For squats I'll do 10lbs singles and bump up ten pounds a single until I hit my wroking set weight for 6 singles. Since starting training again last workout I did 225x6x1. I singled 45,95,105,115,125,135,145,155,165,175,185,195,205,215 and then did 6 singles with 225. That's 20 total reps and as my working sets get higher in weight, my total volume of reps increases too. After 7 months of this type of training in the past my legs were 30" at 220lbs. So I know it works great for strength and size, but maybe that's just me. For me I need heavy weights, high sets and low reps and not train to failure. Some of my muscles prefer high reps sets, but the big muscles don't for the most part. But training at top weights like that 3 days a week is overdoing for sure.

Top Bottom