Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dposey's SF 5x5 Journal

Thanks anthrax, I'll go ahead and try that. I'll also look into the dextrose, I've been having a shake with two cups of milk, two scoops of protein and a tbsp of flax seed oil before the gym lately.

Take at least 30 grams of fast absorbing protein with water, 1 hour before the gym. Take at least 30 grams of fast absorbing protein with water straight after the gym, if your gunna get dextrose then take 30-40 grams mixed in with your protein drink straight after the gym. If your gunna take flax seed oil then have it in a protein drink with milk before bed.

No, the dextrose should be taken before the gym more than anything.

Good link, i have been taking dex in my post workout shake to help aid faster absorption. And eating a baked potato about 1 - 1 and half hours before workout. I think i might try having some dex in both my pre and post workout shake.

Monday 4/24/06 - Week 8 - Day 1

Squats:
105 x 5
120 x 5
140 x 5
160 x 5
185 x 5 PR

Bench Press:
65 x 5
80 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5
120 x 5

Power Cleans:
65 x 5
80 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5
120 x 4 Fail

Weighted Hyperextensions:
BW+45 x 10
BW+45 x 10
BW+45 x 10

Needsize Crunches:
BW+25 x 6
BW+25 x 6
BW+25 x 6
BW+25 x 6
BW+25 x 6

Comments:
This is going to be a long post so bear with me and feel free to offer comments/advice as always. First, today's workout went fine. The squats were very hard and I grinded out the last rep, but I think my legs were tired from earlier (Read below). The bench went ok but I still feel really awkward benching. Every time I rack it the bar is always farther to the right than it is to the left. I almost feel like I'm benching diagonally. I try to focus so much on keeping my lats together and arching my lower back that I sorta foil my lift. I overthink it too much, that's my problem.

Anyway, the power cleans went ok but I just couldn't get the last one up. I did wait about 15 seconds and tried the fifth rep over and got it but I don't think I'm going to count it because it was almost like I did 1x4 and then a completely different set of 1x1.

Ok, now, I think I've been doing too much lately. I've got this problem where I think I'm going to get fat if I don't do enough exercise. I've been doing the 5x5 on Mon/Wed/Fri and in addition to that I've been running 15 minutes every Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun morning when I first wake up, plus 40 minutes of medium/intense cardio on Tues/Thurs/Sat. I've also been doing chin-ups on Sat/Sun (Not both days, one or the other) to help build them up.

Also, I have PE in school 2-3 days a week and we've been running the mile plus playing a sport every class. Today for example we ran the mile and I wanted to be first so I kept up with this little asian kid that always gets first and finally passed him. I got a time of 6:46 which I was excited about but I think I pushed myself too hard. To top that off I felt as if I pulled something while playing street hockey afterwards, my left glute/hamstring is feeling a little sore. I was able to squat with it and I didn't feel it until afterwards but I think all of this contributed to the squat being difficult.

Sorry if this seems like a bunch of rambling, it kind of is. I'm just not sure where to go from there. I almost feel as if I want to start a new 5x5, this time eating a bit more and doing a bit less cardio (or at least less intense). This 5x5 run wasn't meant to be a cut but that's kind of what it turned out to be. I got my body fat tested today and, according to the trainer, I'm at 9.1%. I think it might be a little higher than that (He tested bicep, tricep, back and upper thigh) but still, I've definitely lost a lot of fat while keeping my weight relatively the same (Down to 175 from 180 but it fluctuates).

So, if you're still reading, any comments? Should I just up my cals a bit, not do so much cardio, and continue with this 5x5? Or should I take the time to start a new 5x5 (I'd want to sub a few exercises like barbell rows instead of power cleans, front squats on wednesday, and military press rather than push press) since I have been failing a bit lately?

Man, I'm definitely obsessive compulsive. :worried:

Dposey said:
Monday 4/24/06 - Week 8 - Day 1

Squats:
105 x 5
120 x 5
140 x 5
160 x 5
185 x 5 PR

Bench Press:
65 x 5
80 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5
120 x 5

Power Cleans:
65 x 5
80 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5
120 x 4 Fail

Weighted Hyperextensions:
BW+45 x 10
BW+45 x 10
BW+45 x 10

Needsize Crunches:
BW+25 x 6
BW+25 x 6
BW+25 x 6
BW+25 x 6
BW+25 x 6

Comments:
This is going to be a long post so bear with me and feel free to offer comments/advice as always. First, today's workout went fine. The squats were very hard and I grinded out the last rep, but I think my legs were tired from earlier (Read below). The bench went ok but I still feel really awkward benching. Every time I rack it the bar is always farther to the right than it is to the left. I almost feel like I'm benching diagonally. I try to focus so much on keeping my lats together and arching my lower back that I sorta foil my lift. I overthink it too much, that's my problem.

Anyway, the power cleans went ok but I just couldn't get the last one up. I did wait about 15 seconds and tried the fifth rep over and got it but I don't think I'm going to count it because it was almost like I did 1x4 and then a completely different set of 1x1.

Ok, now, I think I've been doing too much lately. I've got this problem where I think I'm going to get fat if I don't do enough exercise. I've been doing the 5x5 on Mon/Wed/Fri and in addition to that I've been running 15 minutes every Tues/Thurs/Sat/Sun morning when I first wake up, plus 40 minutes of medium/intense cardio on Tues/Thurs/Sat. I've also been doing chin-ups on Sat/Sun (Not both days, one or the other) to help build them up.

Also, I have PE in school 2-3 days a week and we've been running the mile plus playing a sport every class. Today for example we ran the mile and I wanted to be first so I kept up with this little asian kid that always gets first and finally passed him. I got a time of 6:46 which I was excited about but I think I pushed myself too hard. To top that off I felt as if I pulled something while playing street hockey afterwards, my left glute/hamstring is feeling a little sore. I was able to squat with it and I didn't feel it until afterwards but I think all of this contributed to the squat being difficult.

Sorry if this seems like a bunch of rambling, it kind of is. I'm just not sure where to go from there. I almost feel as if I want to start a new 5x5, this time eating a bit more and doing a bit less cardio (or at least less intense). This 5x5 run wasn't meant to be a cut but that's kind of what it turned out to be. I got my body fat tested today and, according to the trainer, I'm at 9.1%. I think it might be a little higher than that (He tested bicep, tricep, back and upper thigh) but still, I've definitely lost a lot of fat while keeping my weight relatively the same (Down to 175 from 180 but it fluctuates).

So, if you're still reading, any comments? Should I just up my cals a bit, not do so much cardio, and continue with this 5x5? Or should I take the time to start a new 5x5 (I'd want to sub a few exercises like barbell rows instead of power cleans, front squats on wednesday, and military press rather than push press) since I have been failing a bit lately?

Man, I'm definitely obsessive compulsive. :worried:

If I were in your position I would increase the calories and try to get stronger.9.1% is an excellent bf% and even if you bulked a bit and got to 11-12%whilst gaining muscle you would still be in a good position body composition wise.

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing, I just get so damn paranoid that I'm going to get fat again. I know it's all in my head, but I still feel that way sometimes. Bah, oh well, I'll just have to deal with it.

What are your opinions on starting a new 5x5 with the substitutions I listed? I would like to get some rowing practice as I've never done barbell rows seriously. My progress hasn't stopped yet on this 5x5 but it's definitely slowed...

In regards to the exercises I would just go with what you are most comfortable with as the proposed lifts are very similiar to the ones you are doing already.As long as you pick something and stick with it for a while you should be fine.

In regards to progress slowing it is something to be expected,especialy on a calorie maintainence diet such as yours.When you first started this journal you were of higher bodyfat(18-20%) which gave you lots of room for recomposition as the energy derived from the fat can be used to facilitate muscle gain to a degree.Now that your bodyfat has reduced you are more reliant on excesss calories from food to continue progress.The further you get away from the newbie period the slower progress becomes,it sucks but thats life and you need to keep on pushing.I would just keep going with this run of 5x5 until it stalls out then rest a week and start again.

Top Bottom