Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Critique of my 5x5 routine

U

UA_Iron

Ok, I made up a potential 5x5 routine today after deciding my old routine was getting tired. I basically took my current split but incorporated 5x5 techniques so I can progress more. How does it look to everyone?

Day 1: Chest and Biceps

Bench Press 5x5
Incline DB Press 2x8
Incline DB Flys 2x8

Barbell Curls 5x5
Incline DB Curls 2x8
Standing Hammer 2x8
-or DB Preacher 2x8

Day 2: Off

Day 3: Legs

BB Squats 5x5
Leg Extensions 2x10
Leg Curls 2x10
Seated Calf raises 2x20
Standing Calf raises 2x20

Day 4: Shoulders and Triceps

Weighted Dips 5x5
-or CGBP 5x5
Skull Crushers 2x8
Cable pushdowns 2x8

DB overhead press 5x5
Lateral Raises 2x8
Front Raises 2x8
(these necessary?)

Day 5: Off

Day 6: Back and Traps

Weighted Pull-ups 5x5
BB Rows 3x8
DB Rows 2x8
Seated Cable rows 2x8

SLDL 5x5
BB Shrugs 3x10
DB Shrugs 2x8

Day 7: Off

Few things....

I don't know how well you recover but day 1 you are hitting chest and then on day 4 you are hitting it somewhat with CGBP or weighted dips.....this might not be a problem for you...

Staying on Day 4 I would drop the front raises and opt for a rotator exercise, maybe seated dumbell cleans or bye-byes...you already know my opinion on shoulders\tris...looks like a fun day:)

Going to day 6...I suggest moving the SLDL to leg day as once again as it will minimize overlap.....a 5x5 scheme for pullups has never really put size on me, more of the 8-12 rep range for that exercise, but I don't know if that is your primary concern....maybe drop one of the shrugging exercises.....

I REALLY like the look of the back day with all those rows...

InTraining said:
Few things....

I don't know how well you recover but day 1 you are hitting chest and then on day 4 you are hitting it somewhat with CGBP or weighted dips.....this might not be a problem for you...

Staying on Day 4 I would drop the front raises and opt for a rotator exercise, maybe seated dumbell cleans or bye-byes...you already know my opinion on shoulders\tris...looks like a fun day:)

Going to day 6...I suggest moving the SLDL to leg day as once again as it will minimize overlap.....a 5x5 scheme for pullups has never really put size on me, more of the 8-12 rep range for that exercise, but I don't know if that is your primary concern....maybe drop one of the shrugging exercises.....

I REALLY like the look of the back day with all those rows...

thanks for the input man, I thought people would be knocking my back day as its pretty brutal - but then again I feel like the back can take quite a bit of punishment. As for the 5x5 exercise on back day..what should I switch it too? BB rows?

Suggesting SLDL and Squats on the same day? that might be kind of taxing.
I thought the front raises would be redundant as they are already hit hard with CGBP or Dips.

UA_Iron said:
thanks for the input man, I thought people would be knocking my back day as its pretty brutal - but then again I feel like the back can take quite a bit of punishment. As for the 5x5 exercise on back day..what should I switch it too? BB rows?

Suggesting SLDL and Squats on the same day? that might be kind of taxing.
I thought the front raises would be redundant as they are already hit hard with CGBP or Dips.

As for the 5x5 exercise on back day maybe BB or T Bar rows would be a good idea.... I know these movements can get sloppy between reps 6-10 when body position can start to shift....One thing I never worry about with back is volume....the lats among other muscles of the back are gigantic and can take tons of punishment! Of course that's not to say I do 30 sets or something ridiculous like that...

Or you could just pull deads or rack pulls and use that as the 5x5

I reasoned that squatting and SLDL will thoroughly destroy your hams so I don't really see a need to hit them hard on back day....also the erectors will take quite a beating...

As for the CGBP\dips you sure your chest can take that type of punishment a few days after a chest workout? I guess the dips would be upright so there is less stress on the chest....

I agree about the front raises...

This is all just IMHO, not trying to force anything :)

You're bringing up some valid points. I have no problem working the chest twice in a 7 day period, in fact I have seen good growth from doing this. I think switching the back day 5x5 exercise to BB rows is what I'll do, and then do 2 or 3 sets up pull ups after that.

Top Bottom