Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

A question about Leg Day

Dr. E

I do my legs first thing on Saturday morning and my workout contains the following exercises in the order that I perform them

1) 30 minutes - run/walk to warm up
2) 30 minutes - Deltoids
3) calves - 8 sets
4) deadlifts - 4 sets
5) squats - 4 sets
6) leg press/hack squats - 4 supersets

I love doing all this but I have one concern. I sometimes spend as much as 2.5 hours in the gym when I am doing this entire routine, and during that time, I am not taking in any protein or carbs for the entire time.

Should I be taking in some protein half way through to help with muscle restoration or is it okay to wait till I am finished (right after I down 2 protein shakes).

Thanks

The Doc

2.5 hours in the gym, way too much time.

If you dead and squat in the same week keep them as far as possible, or even alternate which movement you do each week.

Your at the gym for one thing to train intense and then get the hell out of there and get rest and nutrition. REMEMBER YOU DO NOT GROW IN THE GYM

Warm up with 3 light sets of squats and then your ready to go. 6 heavy work sets will be plenty for legs
Also 8 sets for calves(wtf), 2-3 sets will suffice

Your workout should last 45mins to 1hr MAX.

Also legs should have a day just by themselves as this day is so demanding.

Dont do cardio in the same session as training, keep them at least 8 hours apart or even the next day.

Dr. E what are you goals?

1) I am trying to keep all my heavy strength movements contained in one day. The cardio isn't really cardio (I have bad shins so I walk alot and lightly jog the rest).

I don't see the reason for deadlifting on a different day than squats though except for the fact that it takes a long time to do.

My shoulders don't take that long to work out so I am not worried about working them in.

My goals:
squat 500 by year end, deadlift 450 by year out.

I am currently squatting 310 for 8 reps and deadlifting 310 for 1 rep.

As for the calves, I work my calves every day I work out but I normally only do 3 - 4 sets. However, I like to do 8 sets on leg day . . . . For my size I have extremely thick and strong calves and quads (I could leg press 1000 lbs for 8 reps before I even started training legs, and these weren't sissy reps either!).

Now I would like to explode my quads so they get ripped beyond belief!!!

As for the 2.5 hours in the gym, think of it as more like 2 hours in the gym.

Thanks

The Doc

Dr. E said:
I don't see the reason for deadlifting on a different day than squats though except for the fact that it takes a long time to do.

My goals:
squat 500 by year end, deadlift 450 by year out.

I am currently squatting 310 for 8 reps and deadlifting 310 for 1 rep.

Now I would like to explode my quads so they get ripped beyond belief!!!

As for the 2.5 hours in the gym, think of it as more like 2 hours in the gym.

Thanks

The Doc

Ok, the reason that deads and squats should not be done in the same workout are that they stress the body immensly, and will limit the wieght you will be able to do on deads for example( if you do squats first)

Your lifts show this, you should be able to dead more thand you squat

You want to get ripped, that comes from your diet

Cut the time down in the gym

Either alternate squats and deads each week or put them as far apart as poss. E.g Leg day monday, Back day Friday

Top Bottom