Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

whats the difference between morningcardio and regular cardio?

marcu_s

i dont see the difference in these two, calburning wise.

except that morningcardio is in the morning before meals...if i run the treadmill for an hour i still burn the same amount of cals that i would do 3 meals ago, woulndt i?

There isn't any difference in the amount of calories you burn.

There is also research that indicates there is no difference in what substrate you will burn either (fat or carbs depending on the intensity of the exercise).

I train in the AM, cardio 1st thing on an empty stomach....

The difference I see is when I look in the mirror...

IMO

i dont see the difference in these two, calburning wise.

except that morningcardio is in the morning before meals...if i run the treadmill for an hour i still burn the same amount of cals that i would do 3 meals ago, woulndt i?

It all depends on your goals, in the morning with an empty stomach you will get to the fat burning state quicker than you
would after you had 3 meals, why you say, because you deplete the glycogen store in your liver roughly in the first 18 minutes
of doing cardio, and then your body taps into your fat stores for
energy, and it leaves in this burning fat state for hours after,
because you also have created a calorie deficit. Unlike, after you had 3 meals, all that you are doing is burning calories that you have already consumed, and only for the period of cardio.
You will never get to a fat burning state after 3 meals. And yes,
you will burn the same amount of calories, but the am cardio has
more benefits.

It is common "bro-science" (not using it in the pejarotive sense) that AM cardio, because of lower insulin levels in the morming and some glycogen depletition over night (but this is minimal as fat is the primary source of fuel whislt asleep) increases the % of fat burned.

But most studies suggest under a 24 hour analysis, the benefits of morning cardio are not significant: SEE for eg Myths Under the Microscope Part 2: False Hopes for Fasted Cardio - AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience

one is in the morning and the other is in the afternoun.

I will see if I can find it, but the recent research has stated that cardio post-workout is the best time for fat burning.

This was also an interesting bit of research that is a bit damning for fasted cardio.

That being said, there are times I do fasted cardio as I don't like running first thing in the morning when I have just eaten.

This study indicates that fasted morning cardio does not have any significant advantage over non-fasted cardio.

For some, fasted cardio may be quite catabolic as well. If you are fasted, protein synthesis is depressed, so why depress it even further? Running can actually put muscle ON your legs if done properly.

1: J Appl Physiol. 2008 Apr;104(4):1045-55. Epub 2008 Feb 14.

Effect of training in the fasted state on metabolic responses during exercise with carbohydrate intake.

De Bock K, Derave W, Eijnde BO, Hesselink MK, Koninckx E, Rose AJ, Schrauwen P, Bonen A, Richter EA, Hespel P.

Research Center for Exercise and Health, F.A.B.E.R. - K.U.Leuven, Tervuursevest 101, B-3001 Leuven Heverlee, Belgium.

Skeletal muscle gene response to exercise depends on nutritional status during and after exercise, but it is unknown whether muscle adaptations to endurance training are affected by nutritional status during training sessions.

Therefore, this study investigated the effect of an endurance training program (6 wk, 3 day/wk, 1-2 h, 75% of peak Vo(2)) in moderately active males.

They trained in the fasted (F; n = 10) or carbohydrate-fed state (CHO; n = 10) while receiving a standardized diet [65 percent of total energy intake (En) from carbohydrates, 20%En fat, 15%En protein]. Before and after the training period, substrate use during a 2-h exercise bout was determined.

During these experimental sessions, all subjects were in a fed condition and received extra carbohydrates (1 g.kg body wt(-1) .h(-1)). Peak Vo(2) (+7%), succinate dehydrogenase activity, GLUT4, and hexokinase II content were similarly increased between F and CHO. Fatty acid binding protein (FABPm) content increased significantly in F (P = 0.007).

Intramyocellular triglyceride content (IMCL) remained unchanged in both groups. After training, pre-exercise glycogen content was higher in CHO (545 +/- 19 mmol/kg dry wt; P = 0.02), but not in F (434 +/- 32 mmol/kg dry wt; P = 0.23).

For a given initial glycogen content, F blunted exercise-induced glycogen breakdown when compared with CHO (P = 0.04). Neither IMCL breakdown (P = 0.23) nor fat oxidation rates during exercise were altered by training.

Thus short-term training elicits similar adaptations in peak Vo(2) whether carried out in the fasted or carbohydrate-fed state. Although there was a decrease in exercise-induced glycogen breakdown and an increase in proteins involved in fat handling after fasting training, fat oxidation during exercise with carbohydrate intake was not changed.

I agree with that Tat post-workout is the best time.

I have reached best condition of my life with playing basketball after a workout. This is not exactly cardio but I wanted to share. I didn't ingest protein during workout but I ingested about 60 grams of carb .

So, looks like she is right as usual

It is common "bro-science" (not using it in the pejarotive sense) that AM cardio, because of lower insulin levels in the morming and some glycogen depletition over night (but this is minimal as fat is the primary source of fuel whislt asleep) increases the % of fat burned.

But most studies suggest under a 24 hour analysis, the benefits of morning cardio are not significant: SEE for eg Myths Under the Microscope Part 2: False Hopes for Fasted Cardio - AlanAragon.com - Fitness Based on Science & Experience

Where did you read this, that fat is the primary source of fuel
while asleep? Not only does your metabolism slows down while asleep, but your whole body too, and those extra carbs that you consumed before going to sleep will turn up in your midsection.

Thibaudeau also said one of his posts that fat is being used as primary source while asleep. It looked kinda weird to me but my knowledge is nowhere close to him so I accepted it

Top Bottom