Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Q About Starr 5x5

u418936

I've been doing the Starr 5x5 for a couple weeks now, and I'm gaining A LOT more strength in my lower body than in my upper body. My 5 rep max on squat went from 275 to 325. On the other hand, my 5 rep max on bench and rows probably stayed the same.

I'm sure this is happening because I haven't lifted legs since high school, which was about 10 years ago. Back then, I could squat at least 450, so I think I'm getting this strength back (and getting used to the feeling of the weight on my back) really quickly.

In a few weeks, I'll be getting to the point where I'm stuck on the bench and rows, but the squats and deadlifts will be very easy. Once I stop making such big gains in my squats and deadlifts, should I restart the program with my new 5 rep maxes?

9 days ago you posted that you just started working out again and hadnt done any leg workouts and you were "going by feel"

then you were directed to the 5x5 website...

then you had questions about replacing dips since you just started the program...

Now you have been doing the 5x5 for "a couple weeks now" and gaining a lot of strength in your lower body? (which is impossible because at this point you shoudlnt even be NEAR your 5RM)

How does that work exactly?

You want to devote asymmetrical effort to your training...now you are cashing the check that you wrote and part is more readily adaptable than the other.

Reset the benches and rows as needed, keep the rest moving as is. I'd advise smaller jumps on benches and rows to help out. Everything should catch up eventually and be uniformly difficult to a large extent.

get456 said:
Now you have been doing the 5x5 for "a couple weeks now" and gaining a lot of strength in your lower body? (which is impossible because at this point you shoudlnt even be NEAR your 5RM)

How does that work exactly?

I don't know how it works, but muscle seems to have memory: When you come back to lifting after a long break, you seem to get most of your old strength back really quickly. When I was testing my 5 rep max, 275 felt super heavy. Hell, 225 was painful. Now, 275 feels light. Maybe I should've said "I'm getting used to squatting again" instead of saying "I'm getting stronger". I didn't think semantics would be so important in a weightlifting forum.

You should not be hitting your maxes till around week 4 this is your second week? If so your jumps are to big from week to week. Get the 5 X 5 excel sheet and this will help you with what your increase should be each week.

Crossy

Assuming you're doing the Intermediate version, follow Madcow's advice here. If you're doing the advanced version, switch to the Intermediate one.

It's too early to be worrying about your 5RM on bench and rows if you're only two weeks in. Give your body chance to work with the program. If you're adding in extra sets to test your 5RM at this stage, I might suggest that it's counter-productive.

Hi, I have a small question about the 5RMs.
I want to start the intermediate programm in 2 weeks and my questions is...

For the calculation of the weights for every week, should I take my belted 5RM or a beltless 5RM?
I have calculated what my belted 5RM would be with that formula from the table of content, but I do not know my beltless 5RM.

If you have properly strengthened your core, and you are comfortable with where you are at, i would said belted would be fine. (not that im the expert)

But for me as I am not as experienced overall, I did two things, one I dont use a belt at all (im only at 270 squat 5RM) and I only use straps on my heaviest deadlift (currently 345 5RM).

So far skipping the belt has been GREAT for my back and my abs, both feel tighter and i have zero back pain while lifting. And by skipping the straps I have absolutely increased my grip strength... before I could barely pull 225 off the floor for reps with no straps... last night I did 300 for 5 strapless.

Many on here have commented on how well their core has responded to beltless lifting, me included.

Regarding what weights to take to plug into week 4, it's almost always better to underestimate your actual strength than to over-estimate it. Go with the beltless value. If you're concerned about getting the number at this time then take your belted number and subtract 10%. Probably not accurate but it'll be good enough.

blut wump said:
Many on here have commented on how well their core has responded to beltless lifting, me included.

I look at the belt this way (right or wrong i dont know)- I think my legs are not at a point where they are handling way more than my core, therefore, the assistance of the belt would only be a crutch and offer no real benefit.

If my legs suddenly strengthen so much that not using a belt would be detrimental, well then I'll add the belt then... until that point, ill be sticking to beltless :)

Top Bottom