Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can somone look at my routine...my size and weight gains have slowed somewhat?

B

Balls of Steel

Im 17, been lifting for about 4 months. I just started on creatine, which should help me, but, in the last 2 weeks or so I havent made any noticable size gains, especially on my chest. I feel like it is lagging behing my shoulders and arms at this point.

Anyway, here is my current rountine I have been on for 2 months.

Day 1...chest/shoulders.triceps

-Dec DB press 3x6-8
-Flys 2x6-8
-vertical dips 2x6-8
-millitary press 3x6-8
-lat raises 2x5-10
-cg bench press 2x6-8
-shrugs 2x8-10

REST DAY

2..legs/abs
-squats 3 working sets 8-10
-SLDL 2 sets 6-8
-Calf raises 2x15-20 (I just use the same weight I squat??)
-crunches (weighted) 2 sets to failure

REST DAY

3..back/bi's
-DEADS 3 working sets 6-10
-Bentover rows 2x8-10
Pullups- 2xfailure
Chinups- " "
-Bb curls 2x6-8
-hammer curls 2x6-8
-abs (same as day2)

I know it is a simple routine, anyone see any flaws especially on chest day? Is it maybe time to switch a routine, has this one run it's course? Like I said, I have made good gains (went from 140-170 in 4 months) and my lifts are still going up. But my size gains have slowed considerabley.

What does everyone think, any suggestions on a new routine?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Balls, I think your split looks very solid. I do a split very similar to that. Long as you're keeping your weights up there and keeping your form, you should be ok.

As for your gains, if you've only been lifting for four months, the gains you get in the first three or so will be the most noticeable. That's when major changes occur once you've gone from a sedentary lifestyle to serious lifting.

However, if you're starting to feel like you're not making gains anymore, it might very well be that you've been doing the same split for too long. Is this the same routine you've been doing for the four months? If so, might be time to change it up. But not real drastically. Something like doing back/shoulders, legs, chest/arms. And mix up your excercises a bit. Start on the incline press, exchange dbs for bar, that kinda thing.

Your split might be simple, but I think it's as good as any I've seen. I think one problem people, especially those new to lifting, have is that they tend to over think this stuff. It's not rocket surgery.

Hope that helps bro.

:devil:
What's the diet like? How much weight have you gained since you started creatine?
I think in a couple of more months you are going to have to increase the work load.
Get your attachments(tendons) good and strong first.

there are a few things here. First of all you say in the last two weeks you havent seen much results. The first gains you make lifting come the fastest. If you thought you were gonna keep getting stronger and bigger at the rate you were when you first went in the gym I am sorry to say but you were mistaken. All good things take time. Second you have been doing this exact same workout for a little bit you may want to think about throwing something of a change in your workout to shock your muscles. Third, and all beginners and younger lifters please pay attention this time, the diet you have is the most important thing you need to be concerned with. Pretty much you workout for what 10 hrs a week give or take a few. What you eat all day long 7 days a week determine how effective those hours of work will be. I have said it before and I will say it again I would rather miss a whole workout than miss a meal, and I eat 6 times a day.

In the first few months of training, you definatly see and get the most rapid gains in strength and size.
You will hit walls after periods of training.
This is when over training sets in...not so much when you just tsart lifting, but then your strength and gains will stall and then stop completely.

I would take a week off from weights, i know it sounds backwards, but you do not grow in the gym, lifting weights, you grow whilst you are eating and resting.

In the week of rest, work out what you need from your diet(according to bodyweight and goals) Ask on the diet board and you should be fine.

The routine looks fine.
If it is working now, i should be ok. Maybe adjust it slightly afer another 6 weeks on it?
See what works for you.

hope that helped bro!

Your volume is pretty low. Looks like only 5 working sets(i know you get some with dips, but its secondary). I know its inline with every other bodypart as far as volume, but look at it like this: Maybe chest is a weakspot for you naturally. I certainly don't think an extra exercise of a few more sets would hurt. It may help.

My diet shoud be fine. I always get in 237g of protien, 310g of carbs and 105g of fat (give or take a few). I always get atleast 30g of protien every 3 hrs too.

The thing with chest is, I workout at home, and I dont have a spotter except when I do legs, I stay after school. I take all sets to failure despite not having a spotter, so It isnt like I bullshit around when I train. Because of this I dont really use the barbell on the bench, I use the DB's where I can just drop them onto padding I have set up by the bench.

I dont have the cash to go to a gym right now, and the weight room at school is crowded with a bunch of 135 pound guys making sure they do their kickbacks and lat extensions, that is why I prefer to work out at home.

I dont think overtraining is an issue, I sepnd 4-5 hrs a week lifing. Under my circumstances, what specifically does everyone think I should do for chest? From what I know, declines are much better for chest mass due to the fact that shoulders will give out first on the incline. I hardly ever do inclines, and I ocassionally throw in flat DB presses.

Do you guys think switching ot a few sets of inclines would stimulate the muscles in my chest, even though you would think declines are better for chest mass?

I may be wrong on the decline vs. incline thing, but that is what I heard. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, i may be.

I think the incline/decline arguement is overrated. I don't think one is inherently better than the other. I think the important thing is to incorporate incline, decline, and flat into your routine over time.

I think if you need a change to your chest routine, I'd go with an incline db or bar. And only because you've done the decline thing to death by now. Time for a change.

the routine looks good,this happened to me i went from 135 of fat to 160-165 with less fat then stopped,i got tired of trying and used juice,just keep at it bro and you will grow,it takes time,gains do slow after the first few months,you could switch up ur routine it may help but i doubt it,i also would reccomend going to a gym,even if you have to deal with the goofs at school you will grow and they wont,i put up with them till i could afford where i am at now,but now since i work there its free,so just go and forget them,im here if u need any advice

Split looks good. I would try moving from decline to flat bench. Also inclines do involve the pec minor more than the other two motions, but for overall size incline isn't as effective. Also as you workout for longer periods of time gains are much slower. When you first start you make gains quickly unfortuneately they slow down. Just try not to get discouraged.

Top Bottom