Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Training volume

jstarr37

I was looking at a powerlifting site and this lifter recommended doing a total of 100 to 2400 reps in two of the three movements (Bench, Squat, Deads) and at least 66% total wieght 1rm to make progress. Is that right? It breaks down to 5x5 twice a day all month!
What is the correct volume formula for maximum strengh/mass over a month period?

that's a good question. i'm interested to know the answer as well. i like the 5x5 for strength gains personally but i don't see a lot of mass gain with it for some reason. that's one reason i like to switch things up every now and again.

I'm probably wrongly hijacking someone's thread, but does anyone enjoy 5x5? Your only doing total exertion about 10% of the time, and most sets up just warm ups? I could never stick to it simply because it wasn't intense enough

I'm probably wrongly hijacking someone's thread, but does anyone enjoy 5x5? Your only doing total exertion about 10% of the time, and most sets up just warm ups? I could never stick to it simply because it wasn't intense enough

Well... as a pupils of Omegas we should take that at face value.

Intensity is not a perception thing. It is a % of your 1RM. Period.

NO ONE strong trains their heavy sets over 5 reps. ANd the 5x5 is a template. If you aren;t falling on your ass tired from it, then you are simply doing it wrong.

As an example, for me my deadlift day at the end of this training cycle will look like this:

warmups w/ 135, 225, 315...then 422x5, 483x5, 543x5, 603x5

How is that not intense? I will be dead that day, and will still have to do accessory work.

Blood volume, or TUT are crap buddy. I speak from real experience, and I post real pics of ME, post MY lifts, not my pupils. I got big lifting heavy weights for low reps. So did every top level BB around. They may refine w/ higher reps and boat loads of drugs, but the built their bases on heavy barbell work.

Well... as a pupils of Omegas we should take that at face value.

Intensity is not a perception thing. It is a % of your 1RM. Period.

NO ONE strong trains their heavy sets over 5 reps. ANd the 5x5 is a template. If you aren;t falling on your ass tired from it, then you are simply doing it wrong.

As an example, for me my deadlift day at the end of this training cycle will look like this:

warmups w/ 135, 225, 315...then 422x5, 483x5, 543x5, 603x5

How is that not intense? I will be dead that day, and will still have to do accessory work.

Blood volume, or TUT are crap buddy. I speak from real experience, and I post real pics of ME, post MY lifts, not my pupils. I got big lifting heavy weights for low reps. So did every top level BB around. They may refine w/ higher reps and boat loads of drugs, but the built their bases on heavy barbell work.

Seems there's only a few of us here that really believe that AL. Every time I say this I get all the high volume lifters doing their 1-2 bodypart per session, 5-day splits, obsessive/compulsive, do every possible exercise I can think of for a given bodypart (4, 5, 6 different exercises) for 5 sets and 10 reps/set, workouts telling me I'm wrong. They'll even say the guys that built their base through the high volume BB'ing style lifting have a more aesthetically pleasing look. Great! Train that way then!

I even posted pictures once...I'll do it again now because I know the naysayers will come. You tell me who you think trains more like a traditional BB'er high volume, and who throws around as much heavy ass weight as possible between these two guys, then decide who you'd rather look like. Nothing wrong with either physique, they both worked hard, but I know which look I'd rather work towards...

22g51e.jpg
2z882fr.jpg

Volume training has it's place for some people but not for me though. If I decide go all out for saying chest usually one set (5-8 reps) kills me right there and even if I tried to do one more set I would have to rest alot and still wouldn't be able to do it with the same weight, then afterward what usually do is a set with 50%-60% of my max and go for 20 reps or so and I might do one fly move as a second exercise but that has to be a sunny day...

There are some high volume protocols which are useful for either strength training, endurance or hypertrophy but the average gym rat is better without them if you know what I mean.

When I say I do one exercise for pecs most other trainees don't believe it, strong mindset they have!

Top Bottom