Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Not sure if my strength is progressing like it should..

RBtrucking4

Hello all I have been lifting for about a year now. I have posted on these forums many times before but this is the first time I have actually stuck with it. I was the one that weighed 380lbs went down to 215 but then got into drinking and gained almost all the weight back but I have since put the bad habits behind me and am here to stay.

I am just not sure if I am gaining muscle like I should be. Right now after about a year (a little more maybe a year 4 months) of lifting this is where I am at:

Bench 205
Deadlift 315
Squat 185 (horrible I know but the squat I literally just started doing like 6 months ago)

I would say I gain around 5-10 pounds of strength every like 3-4 months seems kind of slow to me I am 27 years old 6'4 I should mention that I am an avid runner I run at least 7 miles a day. I have been told by some that this may be hindering my strength gains. I get around 3600 calories a day 210 protein 500 carbs 100 fats. I weigh around 220 I am lean that isnt the problem, the problem is I am not sure if I am gaining strength as well as I should be. I am 100% natural, dont take any supplements and I do intermittent fasting pretty much regularly except on cheat days.

I am sure the first thing you guys are going to ask for is a look at my workout routine so here it is.

Monday- Chest and upper back
(chest)
barbell incline bench- 4 sets of (2 sets of 10-12 reps; 2 sets of 4-6rep)
incline dumbbell fly- 3 sets of 10-15 reps
barbell flat or decline bench- 4 sets (2 sets of 10-12 reps; 2 sets of 4-6rep)
cable crossover- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
(back)
under hand barbell rows- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
reverse grip pulldown(shoulder width grip- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
seated rows (narrow grip pulling toward lower chest)- 3 sets of 10-12 reps

Tuesday- Legs
squats- 5 sets "Pyramid Style" 15-4 reps. (3 sets of 8-12reps; 2 sets of 4-6 reps)
leg press- 3 sets of 15reps
Weighted walking Lunges- 2 sets of 10 rep (each leg)
leg extensions- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
stiff leg dead- 4 sets of 6-8 reps
lying hamstring curls- 5 sets of 10-12 reps
standing calve raises-5 sets of 10-15 reps

Wednesday- Delts and Arms
behind the neck press (on the smith machine)- 3 sets of 8-10 reps
3 sets of side laterals 10-15reps
3 sets of rear delt flies 10-15 reps
(tris)
dumbbell skull crushers- 3 sets of 10-12 reps
overhead tricep extenions(use cable)- 3 sets of 10-12 reps
rope pressdown- 3 sets of 10-12 reps
(Bis)
Barbell curls- 3 sets of 8-10 reps
hammer curls 3 set of 8-10 reps
high cable concentration curls or cable preacher curls- 5 sets of 12-15 reps

Thursday (off day)

Friday- chest and lat work
(chest)
dumbbell incline bench- 4 sets of 8-10 reps
dumbbell flat bench or hammer strangth chest press- 4 sets of 8-10 reps
Dips- 3 sets of 6-10 (if too easy add weight)
pec fly machine- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
(lats)
t-bar rows(close grip) 5 sets "pyramid style (start with a weight you can do 15 times; add weight each set dont go under 4 reps)
dumbbell rows- 3 sets of 10
wide grip pulldowns- 4 sets (of 3 sets of 10-12; 1 sets of 4-6)
rack pulls-(warmup with light weight first) 3 sets of 6-8 reps

saturday- legs
front squats- 4 sets of 6-10 reps
leg press- 6 sets of 12-15 reps (3 sets shoulder width and 3 sets feet narrow stance)
leg extension- 3 sets of 12-15 reps
lying leg curl- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
seated leg curl- 4 sets of 10-12 reps
standing calve raises- 5 sets of 10-15 reps

sunday- off day

Any input would greatly be appreciated.

You run 7 miles a day? 3600 calories isn't enough to build muscle at that rate. I'm 6'3 around 200ish and run around 20 miles/week. I eat 3000 cals each day to maintain my current bodyweight. Up the calories!

You run 7 miles a day? 3600 calories isn't enough to build muscle at that rate. I'm 6'3 around 200ish and run around 20 miles/week. I eat 3000 cals each day to maintain my current bodyweight. Up the calories!

Thank you for the input I have recently decided instead of increasing calories im gonna just decrease the cardio because truthfully I really dont know why I was doing that much every day anyway. My current macro split it around 100f 500c 200 protien i was taking in such a high amount of carbs because I was trying to build muscle and have energy for such long runs but now im gonna switch to interval training maybe 4-5 times a week. Should I keep my carbs that high?

I was talking to a guy at the gym that said my carbs should be around the same amount as my body weight or maybe a couple grams higher. What are your thoughts?

Top Bottom