Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

I hit a plateau on the bench - any suggestions?

J

Juice Authority

For a while needsize's 5x5 routine was working pretty good but I seem to have hit a plateau to where that bench routine is too hard on my joints. I've hard to drop the weight and go for more reps. I tried using the thumbless grip and that helped for a while but now I'm back to square. Should I just drop the bench press all together and change up the routine? I've been doing iso-lateral movements that give a good pump and dumbbell movements don't seem to hurt as bad but I really would like to get back to pushing the limit on the bench. Anyone else here have the same problem?

If you havent tried speed benching in your routine yet you may want to give that a try. Also some supplements like Creatine or No2 might help alot. The NO2 and speed benching helped me majorly in my bench when I was stuck at 315x4 for over a year. By the end of the month I was up to 315x7. For speed benching you use 45-60% of your one rep max and do the weight for 10 sets of 3 reps. As quickly and explosively as possible. 30 seconds rest between sets. It really helps learn the groove and explosive power. Find a weight where you can complete 3 reps in around 3 seconds. Hope that helps

WalkingBeast said:
If you havent tried speed benching in your routine yet you may want to give that a try. Also some supplements like Creatine or No2 might help alot. The NO2 and speed benching helped me majorly in my bench when I was stuck at 315x4 for over a year. By the end of the month I was up to 315x7. For speed benching you use 45-60% of your one rep max and do the weight for 10 sets of 3 reps. As quickly and explosively as possible. 30 seconds rest between sets. It really helps learn the groove and explosive power. Find a weight where you can complete 3 reps in around 3 seconds. Hope that helps

Interesting. I'll try that. I haven't been able to move past 365 for 5 sets of 5. The last two sets I can only get 3 reps at that weight and it's been that way for a while. Maybe I hit my "genetic" limit on the bench.

SWITCH THINGS UP!

You have become stagnant with the 5x5 routine it appears. Try sets of 10 progressively going up, 3 sets of 10 at the same weight, etc.

ALSO...incline barbell bench, incline dbs, flat dbs, etc.

MIX AND MATCH ALL OF THESE AND YOU WILL SUCCEED!

Yup....try doing the opposite of what you have been doing.........like lowering the poundages a little and hitting the 8 to 12 rep range........or reversing the order of your chest routine.........no one can be 100%, 100% of the time.........

Pump on .....

Go to 5x3, and do that until you plateau.

Then go back to 365 for 5x5, and I garauntee youll destroy it.

But if your joints are bad, dbs are the way to go until they heal.

view said:
Go to 5x3, and do that until you plateau.

Then go back to 365 for 5x5, and I garauntee youll destroy it.

QUOTE]

normally thats what I would suggest as well.
You could also try weak point training, ie, blast the tris with movements like weighted dips, and your bench should go up along with it

Doing 5x3 will put even more stress on his joints will it not?

I have bad wrists and for that reason i do incline barbell as my 5x5 instead of flat. Incline is a good exercise, but i can't use as much weight as flat, therefore i don't put as much strain on the joints.

Top Bottom