Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help! Please review my workout

discoclarky

Im a hard gainer whos been working out for a while now, at first put on a bit but now struggling to gain much here is a sample of my workout. Please note I am only training naturally and not using any steroids. I try to change the workout once every month or 2 but the formula stays the same here is what im doing at moment.

DAT 1 Chest and Triceps

Bench Press - 3 sets 4-6 reps

Incline Bench Press 3 sets 4-6 reps

Pec Dec - 3 sets 6-8 reps

Tricep Pushdown 4 sets 6-8 reps

Seated dumbell tricep extension 3 sets 6-8 reps

Dips 3 sets to failure

DAY 2 Biceps and Forearms

Straight Bar Bicep curls 4 sets 4-6 reps

Dumbell Curls 4 sets 4-6 reps

Preacher Curls 3 sets 4-6 reps

Behind back wrist curls 4 sets 6-8 reps

Seated wrist curls 4 sets 6-8 reps

I wont go into the other days but you get the picture as to how many sets reps I am going for as you can see Im mostly going for a weight where i can reach 4-6 reps if i make it over 6 generally i will increase the weight for the next workout. Also still unsure on how long I should be resting between sets, Ive heard so many different views ranging from 45 seconds to 3 minutes? Diet I must admit at times I have not been consistent with, I will eat well for 3 days then get lazy for a couple etc, but i am now trying to prepare better and be more focussed as i realise diet plays a hughe part. if anyone can help me out with ideas suggestions would love it. Thanks

I understand the term 'hardgainer'; but I don't believe in it any more. I stand at 6' and 230#. I used to be 6' and 125# (about 5% bf). Hardgainers just don't eat enough. A kind of "rule of thumb" is to take your weight and multiply by 20. This is a rough idea of where your cal intake should be to put on weight. To keep the bf down, eat clean food. You want a good mix of carbs, protein and fats (good ones) in each meal.
Workout - check out Madcow's 5X5 routine. 3 days a week, lifting heavy, compound lifts - deads, bench, squats, bent rows, military press, pullups, etc. There's no need to focus on doing arms, with the compound lifts, you'll add strength and size to your entire body.

i did a workout like yours, very similiar, 4 exercises, 3sets of 4-6 reps. when going this heavy there is no need for "arms" days. i would do 1-2 exercises 3sets of 8-10 reps for arms if using this type of scheme. and as rbtrout said, EAT. i gained like a madman on that plan in mass because i was eating my ass off. 3 600 calorie weight gain shakes a day and MASSIVE amounts of food. good luck

I don't think there's any such thing as a hardgainer either, just someone who hasn't figured out what they need to do to gain weight and build muscle. It took me the best part of a year until I figured it out.

The 5x5 program recommended by rbtrout is a good one to follow (and of course, I recommend starting on the single factor version). The compound movements will trigger far more muscle growth than any combination of isolation exercises you've been doing.

Once you're triggered that muscle growth, you need to eat to do the growing. If you don't eat enough, you won't grow, and you'll be surprised just how much you have to eat. I haven't ventured into the diet forum, but I'm sure you'll get loads of good advice in there.

Good luck!

I agree with the other posts. Your goals are different from the average person looking to simply be 'in shape'. I also think that the term hardgainer is stupid. Nobody is a hardgainer, some just need more calories than others. You need to find out what you need to gain weight, it may be slightly more than you eat, it may be double. There are a lot of wholesome, calorie dense foods out there, and none of them too costly. Also, depending on how lean you are, don't be afraid of the ocasional cheat meal. Don't get sloppy and careless, but a cheat meal is good here and there if you're gaining size, and believe it or not, it won't make you a fat, disgusting slob either, lol . A lot of people will disagree with me on this point, but nobody ever got huge eating dry chicken, plain tuna, and broccoli.....your diet shouldn't consist of crap, but don't fear things like pizza, a scoop of ice cream in a protein shake, a trip to a chinese buffet, pasta with homemade sauce, things like that. Do it gradually and keep track, you will always be able to back off if you're gaining too much fat. You won't wake up one morning sporting 75 additional pounds of pure fat having done permanent damage to your body.

An obsession with isolation and 'pumping' and 'burning' and 'blitzing' is the main reason why people in this country think building size is such a complicated mystery that can only happen once the 'magic routine' is discovered after 37 years of training and buying magazines.

Now for some words of wisdon, lol....take them for what they're worth.....

For training, worry about compound, multijoint movements. Think movements instead of bodyparts. Basically, train your legs, back, and shoulder girdle with one compound movement for each three times a week and eat more calories than you burn. Center your routine around squats. And remember that progressively increasing weights is what grows muscle. And also, don't be a pussy. Don't skip squats because you're 'tired', and don't panic if your bodyfat rises from 9% to 9.01%, you still aren't fat. You have to make a choice between becoming strong and looking like a machine then dieting if need be OR looking like an underwear model year round and having 3% bodyfat, but also about 3% muscle and weenie lifts to boot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom