Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help-I may have been doing protein wrong for years...

Roofus

Good Broly
Platinum
I recently started dating this girl who has her BS in dietetics and is a nutritionist. I was telling her the other day about my daily caloric intake to get her professional opinion on my diet to best meet my goals in the gym. I mentioned to her that I ran 1.5 x my weight in protein daily and she commented, "in kilograms, right?"

Well, no. I was taught years ago to be taking in 1.5 x my body weight in lbs for my daily protein requirement. She has told me that most normal folk should be taking in 1-1.3 x body weight in kilograms, and that for lifting I should be doing 1.5 x my body weight in kilograms. Her concern is that the body will turn anything into fat and that for years I have been taking in way more protein than I should be and that my body is likely turning it into fat and I have just been going through a self defeating process year after year.

Is she off the mark for lifting folk or have I been doing it wrong for years? Educate me! Thanks!

That would be a typical dietitians response. I, as well as most, in the fitness bbing industry/community would completely disagree with her sentiments. 1-1.5 grams per pound is the standard recommendation for those trying to gain lean muscle mass. However, people using aas often take in 2-3grams per pound. And no, consuming extra protein is not making you fat. You should thank her for her input- but I certainly wouldn't follow her advice.

Sort of what I anticipated. I figured that she was likely not wrong based on what she does day in and day out, but that she was also not likely informed on protein intake specific to body building.

Though I welcome additional comments. I will continue my 270prot 140carb 70fat 1600-1800cals cutting plan then.

Does she have any studies or anything to cite?

I don't see how it would be turned into fat if your keeping within your needed cal intake.
Where would she suggest your get most of your calorie intake from?

I recently started dating this girl who has her BS in dietetics and is a nutritionist. I was telling her the other day about my daily caloric intake to get her professional opinion on my diet to best meet my goals in the gym. I mentioned to her that I ran 1.5 x my weight in protein daily and she commented, "in kilograms, right?"

Well, no. I was taught years ago to be taking in 1.5 x my body weight in lbs for my daily protein requirement. She has told me that most normal folk should be taking in 1-1.3 x body weight in kilograms, and that for lifting I should be doing 1.5 x my body weight in kilograms. Her concern is that the body will turn anything into fat and that for years I have been taking in way more protein than I should be and that my body is likely turning it into fat and I have just been going through a self defeating process year after year.

Is she off the mark for lifting folk or have I been doing it wrong for years? Educate me! Thanks!

Registered dieticians are generally not giving out any information beyond the Food Pyramid/Food Guide. And those are useless guidelines anyway, unless you want to look average and be average.
She is way off the mark, but she won't listen to you so don't even bother. Any nutritionist/dietician that tells you that it is OK to eat cereal and orange juice for breakfast is not to be taken seriously unless you fancy getting fat and diabetic.

ive given up on discussions and even talking about diet with average individuals (inc my wife) its a total waist of time

Does she have any studies or anything to cite?

I don't see how it would be turned into fat if your keeping within your needed cal intake.
Where would she suggest your get most of your calorie intake from?

Well your body can turn anything into fat if it's in excess. And that's all she was referring to with that comment. She wasn't saying if you take over this magic # it turns to fat.

Registered dieticians are generally not giving out any information beyond the Food Pyramid/Food Guide. And those are useless guidelines anyway, unless you want to look average and be average.
She is way off the mark, but she won't listen to you so don't even bother. Any nutritionist/dietician that tells you that it is OK to eat cereal and orange juice for breakfast is not to be taken seriously unless you fancy getting fat and diabetic.

I asked her about it again yesterday and she didn't argue about it at all. In fact she said that one of her friends went on to get her masters in sports nutrition and would be the best person to ask because she helps meal plan for professional athletes. So she was going to contact this friend and get the low down for me. Also she doesn't do like meal planning for folks, she helps people with diabetics, heart disease, etc change their eating to help there diseases. Last person you would find telling you to drink OJ. Really smart chick and a body like a battle axe so she must be doing something right. :)

Well your body can turn anything into fat if it's in excess. And that's all she was referring to with that comment. She wasn't saying if you take over this magic # it turns to fat.

I asked her about it again yesterday and she didn't argue about it at all. In fact she said that one of her friends went on to get her masters in sports nutrition and would be the best person to ask because she helps meal plan for professional athletes. So she was going to contact this friend and get the low down for me. Also she doesn't do like meal planning for folks, she helps people with diabetics, heart disease, etc change their eating to help there diseases. Last person you would find telling you to drink OJ. Really smart chick and a body like a battle axe so she must be doing something right. :)

That's nice of you to defend her- good luck :)

Top Bottom