Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help-I may have been doing protein wrong for years...

Well your body can turn anything into fat if it's in excess. And that's all she was referring to with that comment. She wasn't saying if you take over this magic # it turns to fat.

I asked her about it again yesterday and she didn't argue about it at all. In fact she said that one of her friends went on to get her masters in sports nutrition and would be the best person to ask because she helps meal plan for professional athletes. So she was going to contact this friend and get the low down for me. Also she doesn't do like meal planning for folks, she helps people with diabetics, heart disease, etc change their eating to help there diseases. Last person you would find telling you to drink OJ. Really smart chick and a body like a battle axe so she must be doing something right. :)

If you're sedentary and not doing anything I.e lifting then yes, excess of anything will be stored as fat. Weights and cardio requires higher protein intake than your average. If not your body will not repair and most importantly groooooow!

My advice for high protein intake is plenty of water - helps the kidneys.

That is all.

JT

depends... I have a buddy that used to compete a LONG ASS time ago.. and he's CONVINCED that we do NOT need more then 1g/lb... EVER and even THAT is excessive for him... he just thinks it's hype to sell powder... he supplements the rest of his cals with nuts and oils when bulking.. and he's ALWAYS looked great... so it's hard to nail down... and highly individual.. personally... I've always done well with 1.5/lb

all I know is when I went from 50g of protein @ 150lb of LBM to 300g of protein @ 150lbs of LBM my gains in the gym went through the roof over night... unfortuanately now from all the extra protein replacing calories of carbs I don't have any energy left to lift with. *shrugs* a calorie is a calorie.

calories in > calorie distribution, imnsho. anything your body doesn't use for building will get turned to glucose anyways. *shrugs*. eat your protein, any excess will go to fuel your muscles. no lose situation as far as I can tell.

real life experience > college degree.

not just in nutrition but in everything. this is why you see doctors who have no social skills whatsoever and end up getting ass r*ped in court when their wife cannot stand the boring life anymore.

having said that the whole you need X amount of protein to grow muscle is BS anyway. first off if you get all your protein from whey shakes you aren't gonna go anywhere in this sport. you need real food.. you need calories, complex carbs, protein, good fats/oils. someone who drinks whey shakes all day and thinks they are getting 500mg of protein is wasting their time, its usually those skinny guys with no chests who are like 17/18 i see at the gym carrying those whey shakes mixed with LOL milk from a hormone laden cow (yuk) and they wonder why their chests are 8 inches across.

if lots of protein grew muscle then why does most of middle aged american men have guts and not a spec of muscle? i mean they eat protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner. you would think they would have huge muscles and look like Jay Cutler with all that protein.

get 100mg a day of REAL and quality protein and you will be golden. turkey, chicken, cage free eggs.. whey shakes do not count.

i dont care what degree you have, or how smart you think you are.. i will only listen to you if you LOOK good.. why would i listen to some 17 year old with an 8 inch chest who wants to teach me lifting? or listen to a girl who is 200 pounds?

I gotta SERIOUSLY learn this bookie/point spread thing... :)

>> why would i listen to some 17 year old with an 8 inch chest
>> who wants to teach me lifting? or listen to a girl who is
>> 200 pounds?

I remember an argument someone made about Olympic coaches though... not necessarily having to look like Olympic athletes to teach olympic sports...

But I do see your point... I remember being that 17 year old 145lbs 6 foot tall dude... thinking I had 'all the answers' but was just a 'hard gainer' lol... Man... It;s funny how we think we have the world by the nuts @ that age... but in reality know FUCK ALL... lol

real life experience > college degree.

not just in nutrition but in everything. this is why you see doctors who have no social skills whatsoever and end up getting ass r*ped in court when their wife cannot stand the boring life anymore.

having said that the whole you need X amount of protein to grow muscle is BS anyway. first off if you get all your protein from whey shakes you aren't gonna go anywhere in this sport. you need real food.. you need calories, complex carbs, protein, good fats/oils. someone who drinks whey shakes all day and thinks they are getting 500mg of protein is wasting their time, its usually those skinny guys with no chests who are like 17/18 i see at the gym carrying those whey shakes mixed with LOL milk from a hormone laden cow (yuk) and they wonder why their chests are 8 inches across.

if lots of protein grew muscle then why does most of middle aged american men have guts and not a spec of muscle? i mean they eat protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner. you would think they would have huge muscles and look like Jay Cutler with all that protein.

get 100mg a day of REAL and quality protein and you will be golden. turkey, chicken, cage free eggs.. whey shakes do not count.

i dont care what degree you have, or how smart you think you are.. i will only listen to you if you LOOK good.. why would i listen to some 17 year old with an 8 inch chest who wants to teach me lifting? or listen to a girl who is 200 pounds?

"Any nutritionist/dietician that tells you that it is OK to eat cereal and orange juice for breakfast is not to be taken seriously unless you fancy getting fat and diabetic."

LOL

Protein could make you fat if:

-Your over your caloric requirements.
-Are completely seditarty (including not recovering from a previous intense workout) for the entire duration of the digestion time.

DIGESTION TIME OF VARIOUS FOODS
(approx. time spent in stomach before emptying)

Water when stomach is empty, leaves immediately and goes into intestines,
Juices Fruit vegetables, vegetable broth - 15 to 20 minutes.
Semi-liquid (blended salad, vegetables or fruits) - 20 to 30 min.

Fruits
Watermelon - 20 min.digestion time.
Other melons - Canteloupe, Cranshaw, Honeydew etc. - 30 min.
Oranges, grapefruit, grapes - 30 min.
Apples, pears, peaches, cherries etc. - digest in 40 min.

Vegetables
Raw tossed salad vegetables - tomato, lettuces, cucumber, celery, red or green pepper, other succulent vegetables - 30 to 40 min. digestion. -
Steamed or cooked vegetables
Leafy vegetables - escarole, spinach, kale, collards etc. - 40 min. - Zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, string beans, yellow squash, corn on cob - all 45 min. digestion time
Root vegetables - carrots, beets, parsnips, turnips etc. - 50 min.

Semi-Concentrated Carbohydrates - Starches
Jerusalem artichokes & leafy, acorn & butternut squashes, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yam, chestnuts - all 60 min. digestion.

Concentrated Carbohydrates - Grains
Brown rice, millet, buckwheat, cornmeal, oats (first 3 vegetables best) - 90 min.

Legumes & Beans - (Concentrated Carbohydrate & Protein)
Lentils, limas, chick peas, peas, pigeon peas, kidney beans, etc. - 90 min. digestion time
soy beans -120 min. digestion time

Seeds & Nuts
Seeds - Sunflower, pumpkin, pepita, sesame - Digestive time approx. 2 hours.
Nuts - Almonds, filberts, peanuts (raw), cashews, brazil, walnuts, pecans etc. - 2 1/2 to 3 hours to digest.

Dairy
Skim milk, cottage or low fat pot cheese or ricotta - approx. 90 min. digestion time
whole milk cottage cheese - 120 min. digestion
whole milk hard cheese - 4 to 5 hours digestion time

Animal proteins
Egg yolk - 30 min. digestion time
Whole egg - 45 min.
Fish - cod, scrod, flounder, sole seafood - 30 min. digestion time
Fish - salmon, salmon trout, herring, (more fatty fish) - 45 min. to 60 digestion time
Chicken - 1½ to 2 hours digestion time (without skin)
Turkey - 2 to 2¼ hours digestion time (without skin)
Beef, lamb - 3 to 4 hours digestion time
Pork - 4½ to 5 hours digestion time

if it digests quickly and your sitting on your ass or going to bed, your not gonna burn em and fat will be stored.

with a 185lbm youd burn off a 500cal sirloin steak if eatin while sleeping. (assuming you werent already at a surplus)

Top Bottom