Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Deadlifts and Squat (Reps and Weight Used)

General Sus

Ok can someone tell me why deadlifts should be low reps and heavy and why squats should not?

I see mostly everyone doing squats up in the reps of 20. I would just like to know because I train both deadlifts and squats very heavy. My squats don't go past 5-6 reps and my legs look like Mikey M's (Tree Trunks). With 20 reps you might only allow yourself to work at 70-80% max at the most. Though once again everyone is different lol. Do you guys really grow off of 20 reps?

Though I do throw in RP principle with squats I still mabye will only get to 12 before I wanna be sick to my stomach. Usually I run around 5-6 reps RP 10 breaths 3 more RP 10 breaths 2-3 more and then rack it.

I prefer them both for low reps (squatts 5x5 with 455, not doing deads right now). I find my form breaks down with high reps no matter how hard I try to keep it nailed down wich is really dangerous with exercises that stress the lower back so much. Plus I find it almost impossible not to rush reps when I'm doing high reps.

the only lower body lift I'd do for 20+ is trap bar deadlifts because it's technically so easy.

I think it's a given that low reps are best for deadlifts, you don't want to usually go past 5-6 reps on deadlifts. 5x5 is great for deadlifts.

For squats I think it can vary on the individual, depending on their genetics. I also think 5x5 is great for legs, with squats being 5x5.

And for squat, the fact is if you add weight, you'll grow. Progressive overload. :fro:

Yo Gen. Sus..... I think perhaps when you read many threads about people utilizing 20 rep squats they most likely are referring to super squats which are not the usual run of the mill 20 rep movement. Also the super squats are not only for the legs but also to stimulate one`s entire body (the core), lungs, hormones, metabolism, CNS, primal energy, etc. etc. not to mention a downright self test to see what one is really made of and they are not done for extended periods of time (maybe 4 - 6 weeks)
give or take a few weeks.

90% of the time I pyramid the weight/reps on my squats and deads. 12, 8, 6, 4, 4. or 3, 3.

However..... when squatting I always feel best or in the groove when in the 6 - 4 rep range. Everything feels good, tight and strong in that range.

Last edited:
my squats are almost always low reps, 5-8, and my quads are my best bodypart by far. I've done high and low rep for deads, but I lift too much on low reps, ie 550 for 5x5, so now I do higher reps so I cant lift as much

Gen the main issue is adding weight to the bar. It doesn't matter if you increase your 5 rep squat by 300 lbs or your 20 rep squat by 200 lbs, either one will result in a big size increase (assuming your diet is in order).

Top Bottom