Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Conventional Strength (Daily Work Set Videos Included)

miked8c

Height: 5’8
Body Weight: 185

Objective:

Make progress in both weight and form on the five main compound movements of my program. Improvements made on these lifts will equate to an increase in strength and/or LBM. I will take a video recording of every set done for max reps to evaluate my form and to track my progress, as well as provide some legitimacy to my log. Monthly physique updates will also be included.

Overview of My Routine:

- 5/3/1 Progressive Loading Scheme for Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press, Pull Up and Overhead Press.

- Each compound exercise, barring the conventional deadlift, will be done at least twice a week. However, each exercise will only be worked for a max reps set once a week, the other times it is used will be for assistance. When used as assistance I will still try to increase the weight or reps on a weekly basis, however the intensity will be less than that seen on my max reps sets.

- This frequency serves the purpose of continually training the motor pathways for these essential lifts. I don’t believe you should bench, squat, OHP or do pull ups only once a week. In order to maximize your productivity in the gym these exercises should be trained twice a week, at different volumes and intensities. This frequency helps to ingrain these movements in your central nervous system allowing you to become more proficient in the movement and able to lift heavier loads, spurring muscle growth.

- I squat deep and have a hellacious arch on my bench press, neither of these things will change.

- Assistance will consist of two to four exercises in addition to the compound exercise of the day. My assistance exercises are selected with regards to the following goals set forth by Jim Wendler in his book 531:
o Strengthen weak areas of the body.
o Compliment and help increase the four basic lifts.
o Provide balance and symmetry to your body and your training.
o Build muscle mass.

- “The best assistance exercises are those that directly contribute to the performance of the basic movements that produce the most benefit” – Mark Rippetoe
o Similarly, in my routine 80% of my assistance work will be the compound movements themselves or variations of these movements. Front squats, SLDL’s, Good Mornings, Chin Ups, Romanians and the big lifts themselves are my bread and butter for assistance.

- The Pull Up is treated as a compound exercise in this program for these reasons:
o It is the heaviest upper-body pull movement available.
o It is a multi joint movement which incorporates some of the most functional and massive muscles in the upper body, as well as working forearm and grip strength.
o It is an excellent indicator of upper-body strength.
o A strong pull up has carryover to all other pulling movements more so than any other exercise, except for the deadlift.
o It is a movement that has a constant and measurable form that is easy to judge consistently. This is an important trait for a compound movement as it allows you to measure your progress accurately from workout to workout. You reach full extension at the bottom and pull your chin above your hands at the top. If these two requirements are met it becomes very difficult to unintentionally cheat at the pull up.
o It has supreme carry over to the bench press and overhead press, promoting muscular balance and stability while aiding in shoulder health for frequent benchers.
o No other exercise strengthens the latissimus dorsi muscles (IMO the most underrated upper body muscle) like a full ROM pull up.

Lifestyle:

I am currently in my senior year of college studying to become a merchant marine. I ship often and am rarely able to work out at the same gym for a period of longer than three months. Sometimes the ship I work on is not equipped with a barbell meaning I could go months without squatting, deadlifting etc. This is by far my biggest hurdle, as committed as I am to strength training I struggle to find the consistency I need to make long term gains. For the next four months I will have access to a fully equipped weight room and should be able to make some decent improvements which I can focus on maintaining next time I ship.

I want this to be a long term log, something I am always recording even if I don’t have access to a barbell. I am in this for the long haul so I need to accept the fact that because of my career I may need to make certain changes and sacrifices in my training.

Diet:

Get my bodyweight per gram of protein and fill the rest with carbs and fats. 1.5 to 2 gallons of water per day. I don’t cook my own food since I am either on a ship or eating at the school dining hall. For this reason I haven’t calculated my macros as I cannot measure the food I am consuming accurately enough to warrant knowing my exact macros. However, I have a pretty good idea of how much food I need on a daily basis to support my time in the gym. Luckily, both the ship and school serve nutritious food so I have no trouble eating plenty of relatively "clean" food.

I also do two 40g shakes of protein a day. I shoot for over 185 g’s of protein a day and stuff my face with carbs and fats depending on how hard I have been hitting the gym that particular week.

I tend on the IIFYM side of the spectrum, meaning I don’t stress too hard about eating processed foods as long as they fit into the macros (rough estimate) I am trying to hit. For example, I love bagels, pasta, Chobani greek yogurt and Chipotle, I eat all these foods fairly often.

I consume alcohol at most once a week, almost always on a Saturday night that way it doesn’t screw me for training since I have Sunday off. This will go down to more like once a month once school starts back up. As dedicated as I am to training, accommodations need to be made some times, I enjoy hanging out and drinking with my friends way too much to give it up completely.

Routine (Assistance):

Monday - Bench Press 5/3/1 (5x10 Bench Press, 5x10 OHP {60 BW Pull Ups spread between sets of assistance})

Tuesday- Deadlift 5/3/1 (Deficit SLDL’s 3x10, Squat 2x10, Back Extension 3x10)

Wednesday- Barbell Row (Pull ups with mixed grips, abs)

Thursday- Overhead Press 5/3/1 (OHP back off 2x5-8, Bench Press 3x8, DB Chest press 3x10-12, DB Lying Triceps Extension 3x10)

Friday- Squat 5/3/1 (Front Squat 5x8, GHR 3x10-12)

Saturday- Pull Up 5/3/1 (Pull/Chin Up back off sets with different grips 5x5-8, Barbell Row 3x10, Lat Pull Down Supinated 2x10, DB Row 3x10)

Sunday- OFF

Short Term Goals:

495x1 Deadlift (All time max 520x1 @ 195 BW)
405x5 Squat (All time max 420x4 and 475x1 @ 195 BW)
250x10 Bench Press
60x10 Pull Up
185x3 OHP

Comments, Questions, Criticisms, Encouragements, Discouragements and Miscellaneous Banter are all appreciated.

My YouTube Channel is ConventionalStrength, here you can see my total collection of videos uploaded thus far.

Friday 07/19/13

Mesocycle 1
Week 3

Squat
267.5 x 5
302.5 x 3
337.5 x 9

Squat 337.5 x 9 07/19/13 - YouTube

I realize form on these is not very strict. A little too much wobbling under the bar, as well as my knees tracking too far in. This was the heavy day for the month however so I am being pretty lenient with myself in regards to kicking my ass up like a donkey. I will try to make my Week 1 of Mesocycle 2 more strict for squat form.

Front Squat
215 x 5 x 8

Glute Ham Raise 3 sets w/ 10lbs. plate for reps till fatigue

Last edited:
Saturday 07/20/13

Pull Up
2.5 x 5
27.5 x 3
52.5 x 9

Pull Up 52.5 x 9 07/20/13 - YouTube

Felt strong on these reached solid extension on every rep, 3rd rep I noticed was a little quick off the bottom. The last rep on these is always a grinder and I typically do bring my legs forward as the reps get high. I guess its just my body's way of redistributing the load to crank out a few more reps. Since it is not what I would call a kip I will allow it.

52.5 x 9 is a stronger rep max than 40x11 which I did last week. I think both sets had passable form.
Pull Up 40 x 11 07/13/13 - YouTube

Chin Ups
25x8
25x8
25x7
15x7
10x8

Focusing on slow eccentric with fast and smooth concentric on these. All were very smooth reps with great stretch.

Barbell Row
140x4x10

Resting the weight on the floor between each rep, maintained constant tension on the lats however. I was pretty smoked after the pulls ups so the weight on these is not too spectacular. Lifting heavy weights with bad form is not my goal for assistance.

UH Lat Pull Down
160++ x 10
160++ x 8
140 x 8

The plus sign indicated that I added those interval weights that you can stack onto the pulley blocks when you want to go between two weights.

DB Rows
3x10x55

All form and contraction.

Did the ab roller supersetted with towel grip pull ups at the end. Never fails to make me sore the next day.

Next week I will post my first physique update where I hope someone can tell me my bodyfat. Tonight I plan on hitting the bars with some friends, let the catabolism ensue.

Vodka and Gatorade for damage control.

Firstly, I'd like to apologize for introducing this log and then neglecting it for the past few weeks. Turns out the ship I'm working on has spotty connection at best making uploading youtube videos impossible. I have been trying almost everyday and today I was finally able to get a decent enough connection to upload my past two weeks of max rep sets.

I go back to school next week where I will have reliable internet so this should not happen again.

I just uploaded my past couple weeks of work to my channel: ConventionalStrength - YouTube

To rehash my last two weeks of training:

- Gaining a little bit of weight, no scale onboard so I haven't a clue what I weigh in at currently.

- Eating dirtier than I would like, not too bothered by this as I will be much stricter once I'm home next week.

- Strength gains across the board on all exercises are accompanying this gain in weight.

- Curious to see if my pull ups stall do to the increase in working weight combined with the increase in bodyweight.

- As you may be able to tell, I am not taking my deadlift sets anywhere near failure. As long as I keep the reps relatively high I have no qualms about stopping with 3-5 reps left in the tank. I am priming myself for a set of 405x10 next week before I deload.

- All other exercises are being done close to failure

- Cardio will be introduced soon, hoping that I can make my standards without have to actually train cardio. Hopefully a clean diet and reduction in bodyfat will keep me in condition to run.

- Not trying too hard (although it is happening anyways) to increase my calculated one rep max each workout. Rather I am comparing from cycle to cycle instead of week to week. By this I mean that I compare my week 2 of mesocycle 2 to my week 2 of mesocycle 1. The numbers I try to hit are based on what I did in that same week in the previous cycle.

- The bar on the ship is effed up so I can't go by the knurling to find my grip. Kind of blows because the more weight you add the more you need to adjust your grip. Also the floor is slanted, I make sure to deadlift so that the slant is working against me. I can't wait to not have to deal with either of these issues at my gym back home.

Check out my channel on youtube, talk to me about my form (on EF of course), whether you think it sucks or if its decent.

I will begin posting my workouts in their entirety starting tomorrow, on squat day. However, if the internet is finicky I may just hold off until I get home next wednesday.

Thanks guys

I like your form on deadlifts the only thing I can suggest that may help you out is drop your ass more and explode with your legs, still impressive either way

08/02/2013

Squat

252.5 x 3
292.5 x 3
330 x 11

Did thumbless grip today, a little bit lower of a bar position as well. Felt very stable, last rep was a bit of a grind but overall I am content with my form on these.

Vid wont upload, will put it up asap

Front Squat (strict 3:00 rest b/w sets)
5x8x230

Happy to get five sets across with this weights, wiped me out though. I find front squats really help with generating power at the bottom of the deadlift.

Good Mornings
4x10x140

Pretty much cashed out at this point, solid form on these never the less. Light weight for muscle instead of movement.

Overall this was a great day, very happy with my working set of squats, will post it on the tube asap. Tomorrow is pull ups. Dying to know what my body weight is.

Idobehigh: Your absolutely right, I rely more than necessary on my PC coming out of the bottom of the deadlift while under utilizing my quads. Its one of those things I try to work on but by the time my work sets come my body just reverts back to the way I've been having it deadlift.

Back ashore, that means consistent internet access for me to post up my videos. Unfortunately today was the last day of my third week. I'll be starting my deload week for my first training block this coming Monday.

Overall this week was supposed to be me breaking a lot of PRs, and I did end up doing that in every exercise across the board.

Bench 237.5 x 11 08/05/2013 - YouTube

Deadlift 405 x 10 08/06/2013 - YouTube

Overhead Press 147.5 x 9 08/08/2013 - YouTube

Squat 347.5 x 10 08/09/2013 - YouTube

Squat form is pretty atrocious, my knees were bowing in big time. My hips were shooting up too fast on the squat, I think I need to focus on maintaining a higher bar position on these. Followed up my work set of squats with 375x3 and 405x1. I hope to work on my squat form during this deload week.

This next week I will be doing the compound movements at much lighter weight just to keep the movements fresh. I am focusing on recovering for next training block which will two more mesocycles. I will be incorporating floor press, RDL's, Weighted Dips and Front Squats as my accessories. I'll be spending this week coming up with my assistance for my next cycle.

Your hips were shooting up a lil to fast but still a good lift maybe focus on box squats during your deload and work on your form? Also fix the damn safety bar you get low but you would hate for something to go wrong and you fold over because there is no bars lol

Still a good log I'm sure more people will be joining soon

Top Bottom