Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Boxing vs Weight Training. Incompatible?

Longhorn85

I've dabbled in boxing before. I like the workouts and I want to try to enter Masters boxing. I found a great boxing gym here in DC and I'm about to start training with them. One thing that bothers me is the head trainer recommended that I stop lifting while training for boxing.

He thinks it would slow me down. Any truth to this? He says having excessive muscle mass would require more oxygen, hurt flexibility, etc.

I believe weight training if done properly will improve flexibility. Don't know about the oxygen part.

Thoughts?

Take it from an ex boxer, Excessive muscle WILL slow you down. It sucks to have to lose muscle, but it is nessary.

"look at Tyson man, no way he didnt lift like crazy"

Tyson was/is naturally big and quick (very rare to be both)

it stars sAddam said:
look at Tyson man, no way he didnt lift like crazy

The head trainer at this gym says Tyson doesn't lift much at all. I haven't verified. He said Holyfield is one of the few who lift a lot.

Not that I'm gunning for a heavy-weight belt, lol. Just some Masters boxing.

Longhorn85 said:
So did you lift at all while training for bouts?

at the time no. It really slows you down and throws off your timing if you're steadily gaining bulk.

I've tried it before and noticed a big difference in speed and reaction.

I think it really depends on the person though and how much actual bulk you put on.

Not to disagree but how do wrestlers lift weights (not bulk) but still weight train and keep there speed and reaction from being effected.

plrpower said:
Not to disagree but how do wrestlers lift weights (not bulk) but still weight train and keep there speed and reaction from being effected.

Good question. Let me also point out that the trainer told me that it is better to fight at a lighter weight. I don't know if this makes sense to me. Wouldn't my punches be more powerful if I had more muscle than the other guy?

Many boxers are quite muscular and cut. Do they get this just from boxing training?

plrpower said:

wrestling(sp?) and boxing are different sports.

boxing consists of alot of quick push/pull movements, if you have too much mass(for example your arm) its harder/takes more energy to move it and to snap it back.

Notice how most boxers don't have huge triceps.

A wrestler will not be as quick as a boxer..

Longhorn85 said:
Good question. Let me also point out that the trainer told me that it is better to fight at a lighter weight. I don't know if this makes sense to me. Wouldn't my punches be more powerful if I had more muscle than the other guy?

Many boxers are quite muscular and cut. Do they get this just from boxing training?

Your trainer probably thinks that you would be faster/have more endurance at the lighter weight..

Your punches would be more powerful if you had more strenght(it's relative)punching power is not directly related to muscle in the conventional sense. punching strenght comes from punching.

Boxers are bigger than average people but look alot bigger because of their very low bodyfat and well defined muscles.

Top Bottom