Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Am I overtraining?

D-bo24

I know this is going to seem like a lot but I wanted to get everybody elses opinion. I am really crunched for time so I am lucky to get more than 3 days a week at a time. I will mostly do upper body. Here is my routine:
Warm-up set
Bench press: 235X10, 260X8, 285X6, 315X4, 335X2, 355X1, 375X1 (basically keep going up until failure)
Dips: 3X15
or
Dumbell tricep extension: (not sure of name) 3X12
Machine tricep extension: 3X15 then keep going until failure
Lat. pulldown: 3X15
Upright rows: 3X12
Curls: 3X10 then lower weight until failure
Shoulder press: 3X12
After all of this I do sit-ups and cardio. I do this 3 times a week. On my second day I always feel weaker so I lower the weight and the third day I feel a little bit stronger than the second day and sometimes stronger than the first. I am mostly talking about bench. This program works really well for me and I am getting really strong but I have been doing a lot of reading and am thinking I may not have to do as much. I guess I don't want to change a routine that is working but would like some advice on if I could reduce the bench a bit. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks.

sa long as you keep getting stronger then dont worry about it, i do that much, its all about how your body responds, also how long have you been lifting?

eat big

D-bo24 said:
I know this is going to seem like a lot but I wanted to get everybody elses opinion. I am really crunched for time so I am lucky to get more than 3 days a week at a time. I will mostly do upper body. Here is my routine:
Warm-up set
Bench press: 235X10, 260X8, 285X6, 315X4, 335X2, 355X1, 375X1 (basically keep going up until failure)

I guess I don't want to change a routine that is working but would like some advice on if I could reduce the bench a bit. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks.

You are only overtraining if you arent recovering in time for your next workout. However, if you are hitting bench heavy 3 times a week it might put a hurt'in on your shoulders.

Where's the leg work?

Im with Cwick trying to hit a 1RM 3 times a week on bench..it might work for a little while but your going to find yourself plateauing very quickly

you're working less than half the muscle in you body with resistance training?

and working out that way on bench is definitely self-defeating, maxing out then doing a set to faiure multiple times a week on a compound like that is not a good way to make progress! feeling weaker the second day is definitely a sign of CNS fatigue. you'll get stronger faster if you just change day 2 to something that hits the other 60% of the major muscles in your body. That also has the benefit of keeping you from looking like some kind of disabled gorilla. My apologies if you just didnt list your leg work or if you naturally have 30" thighs

cwick0 said:
You are only overtraining if you arent recovering in time for your next workout. However, if you are hitting bench heavy 3 times a week it might put a hurt'in on your shoulders.

Where's the leg work?

Leg work is on the days in between the upper body days whenever I can squeeze them in my schedule. I realize the importance of doing legs but 5 days a week at the gym is sometimes hard with my schedule. I thought that a general rule of thumb was 48 hrs. to recover? I usually workout every 48 hrs.

wnt2bBeast said:
Im with Cwick trying to hit a 1RM 3 times a week on bench..it might work for a little while but your going to find yourself plateauing very quickly

I hope I don't plateau quickly. This routine got me out of my previous plateau.

Tagio said:
you're working less than half the muscle in you body with resistance training?

and working out that way on bench is definitely self-defeating, maxing out then doing a set to faiure multiple times a week on a compound like that is not a good way to make progress! feeling weaker the second day is definitely a sign of CNS fatigue. you'll get stronger faster if you just change day 2 to something that hits the other 60% of the major muscles in your body. That also has the benefit of keeping you from looking like some kind of disabled gorilla. My apologies if you just didnt list your leg work or if you naturally have 30" thighs

What routine would you suggest? As you could imagine, I would hate to stop one that is working.

Top Bottom