Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

TriMojo's Quest for Muscle Log

Only nineteen more days until my last Olympic distance triathlon of the season! Hurray! ;) Then, I can start seriously weight training.

I have been lifting hard on regularly but I must eat enough carbs to support the running, swimming and biking.

I have gotten flack from some friends about spending more time in the gym. My triathlon mentor seems especially irritated with me. He won't even help me with my last three weeks of training schedule because he thinks I'm making a mistake by lifting weights. He said, "You are scared to be fast and good so you whimped out and started weight training." He also said I better stop lifting today so I'm not tired for the race. The race isn't until October 7, I think a two week taper would be fine. What do you guys think?

It's been an eye opening journey so far. It seems that people feel very threatened by women that wants to put on muscle. Someone recently wrote this to me anonymously.

"It seems that you are working on looking like a man.

Going to the gym has its limitations on your contribution to your ego. During a break between sets, stop and take a look at your thighs. Too many more trips to the gym and you will be a man minus the penis."

:worried: Ya know, when I was skinny without muscle definition nobody said a word. Now, I'm getting hated on. Any advice about this unwarranted aggression?

It's only going to get worse after the race because I really enjoy lifting and can't wait until I can fully embrace it.

trimojo said:
It's been an eye opening journey so far. It seems that people feel very threatened by women that wants to put on muscle. Someone recently wrote this to me anonymously.

"It seems that you are working on looking like a man.

Going to the gym has its limitations on your contribution to your ego. During a break between sets, stop and take a look at your thighs. Too many more trips to the gym and you will be a man minus the penis."

:worried: Ya know, when I was skinny without muscle definition nobody said a word. Now, I'm getting hated on. Any advice about this unwarranted aggression?

It's only going to get worse after the race because I really enjoy lifting and can't wait until I can fully embrace it.

OMG

Rude AND a coward to boot.

I would ignore (try to at any rate) the negative comments you will receive.

A comment like that is either a jealous woman or an insecure man.

Unbelieveable.

I want to know why it is when fat people whine about being fat and people say "Oh you look fine" to make them feel better, but somehow when you want to make a change, people will criticize you for it to the point that literally ANYTHING OTHER than what you are trying to accomplish is 'acceptable'.

Further, your body is always in flux - i.e. no matter how you look "now", it is pretty much just part of a phase you pass thru on to whatever is the next part of the phase. For example when I train for bodybuilding, people give me a lot of shit about how thick I am when I am still outside the 4 weeks out period. But somehow when I pass into the 4 weeks out phase I'm the hottest thing on the planet. But then people will see me on competition day and say I look too lean or some people tend to start looking a little cadaverous or stringy - but you only look like that for a few days -- but people feel they have to make comments like you are screwed for the rest of yoru life because you look like that for a few days.

Basically dont' let other people's comments dissuade you from your goal. It depends on how they speak to you -- if they are accusatory, then its often just easy to ask them why they care? Why is it so important how you look to them? And your body is always changing. If they aren't accusatory & just "concerned" then you can always say "I want to see how this works for me". You are never committed to a particular thing and it always changes.

how did someone write something anon and get it to you??

Rude comments are a penny a dozen......

Personally - I LOVE A great set of Gams on a chick

The Shadow said:
how did someone write something anon and get it to you??

Oh sorry! It was a private E-mail about the man legs, nobody here. You guys here have always been so encouraging! GG, Sassy, Shadow.. Thanks! That's why I came back, for understanding.

Do you think a two week taper from weight lifting is long enough for an Oly race? .9 mile swim, 25 mile bike, 6.2 mile run? My coach says 3 week taper but he hates that I'm lifting, I think he thinks it's shallow.

Your coach might be right about not lifting prior to your race...but that you already know...just like tapering so your muscles are fresh. I think 1-2 week taper would be fine. Three weeks your gonna lose everything that you have started working for. YOU have to do what is best for YOU!! Don't let them discourage you! Lifting will improve alot of your events!

Contrast the chiseled contours of a successful bodybuilder with the gaunt frame of an elite marathoner. Then remember both can achieve stunning results by virtue of their muscles.

An amazing feature of your muscles is how much you can change them by training. When you begin an aerobic training program, the capillary blood vessels in the muscles you use begin to increase. You can end up with almost another 50%, added to the capillary network you had before you began training.

Your muscles need enzymes to tell the power houses (called mitochondria) in their cells how to carry out the biochemical reactions that turn carbohydrate and fat into energy. The enzyme activity can more than double with consistent training.

Part of the fuel your muscles use is right there in the muscle fibers. This is a complex carbohydrate called glycogen. As you train, your muscles' capacity for glycogen increases, so you can boost your stored glycogen by eating more carbohydrates.

If you carbo-load by increasing your carbohydrate calories to at least 70% of your total calories for at least three days, you may be able to increase your muscles' glycogen store by more than 50%.

If you practice speedwork, or any high-intensity efforts that put you into oxygen debt, your muscles produce more lactate as a byproduct. This causes blood lactate to rise. The increase is gentle at first, and then rises more sharply. This steeper increase in blood lactate is called the lactate threshold.

Regular speedwork in your sport will raise your lactate threshold. This means that your muscles can work harder to produce only the same amount of lactate. This allows you to run (or ride, or ski, or row ...) faster.

One of the most dramatic changes in sedentary people as they grow older is their muscles grow smaller, accumulate more fat, and become weaker. You can avoid the major part of these changes by resistance training. Build up to eight to 12 repetitions of the heaviest load you can handle, for each of your major muscle groups.

Two or three sessions a week are enough; you even gain some benefits by working out only once a week, according to Michael Pollock, Ph.D., and colleagues at the University of Florida in Gainesville.

Working out against high resistance (or lifting heavy weights) causes microscopic damage in muscle fibers. During the recovery period before the next workout, the fibers grow bigger and stronger.

And it's never too late to benefit. Even frail folks in their 90s increased muscle size by up to 10%, and strength as much as doubled, according to Maria Fiatarone, M.D., and colleagues at Tufts University in Boston.

Regular aerobic training and strength workouts, proper diet and plenty of fluids will keep your athlete's muscles young, no matter what the calendar says about your age.

I'm depressed, it's been a week since I last lifted. I am feeling like a big blob of Jello.

I biked 50 miles on Saturday and ran 13 miles between Sunday and today plus swam 1,500. It puts me into a carbo feeding frenzy. Right now, I cannot get enough of Raisin Bran and Kashi. Pecan pie and sweet potatoes! Satan's food I tell you!

My stomach is bloated like the Pilsbury Dough Boy because the cardio makes me so hungry for carbs. My race is in two weeks so I've got to train only cardio now. I hate it!

When I run or bike long distances now, my muscles feel really sore and tired. My legs look more jiggly though when I stop lifting. I literally feel my body eating my quad muscles around mile 28 of long rides. :chomp: Hehehehee.

My body doesn't ask me for much protein anymore like when I was focusing on lifting. I ate a much more healthy diet when weight training. I miss it. Only two more long weeks.

Top Bottom