Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

TriMojo's Quest for Muscle Log

trimojo

I'm a triathlete finishing a season and trying to put on more muscle and lower my bodyfat.

Current stats: 5'5" 114 pounds, 13.5% body fat

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148342/biceps.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148342/back.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-2/1148342/legs2.jpg

I'm going to enjoy this experience because it's completely opposite of endurance training. I'm going to have to learn to eat very differently. Here we go!

7:00am- 10oz coffee with 2oz skim milk
7:30am- Vanilla protein shake w/10 blueberries and 1 apricot

8:30 am- 8 min. elliptical warm up
CHEST & TRICEPS

Incline Bench Press (3 sets) 12xbar, 12xbar, 12xbar
Dumbbell Chest Fly's (3 sets) 12x20lbs, 10x20lbs, 8x20lbs
Incline Dumbbell Bench Press (3 sets) 12x20lbs, 10x20lbs, 8x20lbs, 8x20lbs
Peck Deck Machine (5 sets) 12x30lbs, 12x25lbs, 12x25lbs, 12x20lbs, 12x20lbs
Chest Press Machine (3 sets) 8x60lbs, 10x55lbs, 10x55lbs

Tri's Standing Cable Pushdowns (3 sets) 12x30lbs, 12x30lbs, 12x35lbs
Skullcrushers (3 sets) 12xEZ bar, 12xEZ bar, 12x EZ bar
Dumbbell Donkey Kickbacks (3 sets) 12x15lbs, 12x15lbs, 12x15lbs
Seated Press (3 sets) 12x90lbs, 12x100lbs, 12x100lbs
Assisted Dip Machine (5 sets) 12x50lbs, 12x50lbs, 12x45lbs, 12x45lbs, 10x40lbs

I read that Shadow posted it's better to do cardio after weights. I ran 6.5 miles after lifting. I also need to swim today but after reading replies to my first post, I don't think I'm eating enough. Sometimes, I'm really ass dragging tired after long workouts. I decided to leave the gym to eat.

11:00am- 1/2 an apple
10 almonds

12:15- turkey, provolone cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles wrap

I'll head back to the gym in a hour or so for this swim workout and then eat again.
1300 yds total:
200 warm up
4 sets of:
100 hard/30 sec rest
75 hard/30 sec rest
50 hard/30 sec rest
200 easy cool down

3:00pm- Nectarine and 12 almonds

Last edited:
Off & running (or swimming as the case may be!)

I'm just gonna venture that I think if you change your diet to support some mass building you're gonna get some really nice development - you've got some kickin' muscle already girl!

trimojo said:
I read that Shadow posted it's better to do cardio after weights.

...you took that slightly out of context.

The BEST time is AM on empty.

Its better to do it AFTER weights than before - but not ideal....ESPECIALLY if LBM is the goal.

If LBM is the goal you need to hit a protein/carb source immediately after the session(maybe during even), running AFTER weights is a great way to actually strip lbm

The Shadow said:
...you took that slightly out of context.

The BEST time is AM on empty.

Its better to do it AFTER weights than before - but not ideal....ESPECIALLY if LBM is the goal.

If LBM is the goal you need to hit a protein/carb source immediately after the session(maybe during even), running AFTER weights is a great way to actually strip lbm

Sorry, I didn't mean to misquote you Shadow. :worried:

Aaaaacccckk!! I feel so confuzzled trying to figure this body building stuff out! It's so opposite of all the endurance training I've done. I had to even google a word that Sassy used "hard-gainer".

So, ideally... If I do cardio 2 times a day. My run should be done first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, correct?

Then, if I consume something like a protein shake with fruit, could I immediately start lifting? Possibly lift while eating and drinking?

See, we have a farm and we live 15 miles outside of town. It saves me gas money the least amount of trips to the gym.

I would do a second cardio in the evening. Either a bike ride or swim. Breaking it up today and eating/resting before my swim helped. I was able to hammer out some fast sprints even on my last set. Normally, I'd run, weight train and swim. By the time I got to my last swim set, I'd want to quit or do the dead man's float.

trimojo said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to misquote you Shadow. :worried:

Aaaaacccckk!! I feel so confuzzled trying to figure this body building stuff out! It's so opposite of all the endurance training I've done. I had to even google a word that Sassy used "hard-gainer".

So, ideally... If I do cardio 2 times a day. My run should be done first thing in the morning, on an empty stomach, correct?

Then, if I consume something like a protein shake with fruit, could I immediately start lifting? Possibly lift while eating and drinking?

See, we have a farm and we live 15 miles outside of town. It saves me gas money the least amount of trips to the gym.

I would do a second cardio in the evening. Either a bike ride or swim. Breaking it up today and eating/resting before my swim helped. I was able to hammer out some fast sprints even on my last set. Normally, I'd run, weight train and swim. By the time I got to my last swim set, I'd want to quit or do the dead man's float.

OK I think this got a little confusing -- and not to say you wont' find different schools of thought on the empty stomach cardio or not, but per Shadow, optimal fat burning is on an empty stomach first thing in the morning, or after weights. Here the idea is that you've burned thru most of your carb-based energy sources and you have sort of an "empty stomach" state when you get to the cardio part.

You threw in a twist w/ wanting to do cardio AND training in the morning if I understand correctly. This falls under the do cardio AFTER training, regardless of the fact that its first thing in the morning. But also then you don't want to train on an empty stomach - some people find they train better on an empty stomach, personally I get light headed and don't really have any energy for a good lifting session then. An alternative could be sipping a gatorade + protein mix sort of drink during your workout.

I'm a bit confused tho -- if this is the training you are doing while you are still during your race season, I sort of feel like if you aren't eating for running endurance vs "fat loss", its goign to impact the quality of your endurance training..... When your race season is over and if you choose then to pursue some mass building, then I'd make some changes in your training schedule that support mass building vs extended cardio sessions.

Well, I am struggling..

Add muscle and slow down?

I'm leaning toward body building right now. I'm tired tired of long hours of cardio at this time. I will not place in age group my last race, it will be a tough one. I will give it 100% of what I have at that time but it will not be enough. I had asked to be moved from novice to age group my last two races. Last month, I raced in the mountains and it wasn't pretty. It rained, I felt like a fucking goat climbing hills. I placed 5/7.

I have noticed that once I added more protein cut carbs, it's harder to run long. Is that because I don't have glycogen stores?

I'm ready to have fun and feel happy about my body. I'm tired of racing to win all the time.

How old are you? Tell me about your behind and fat deposits ther...Strange question I know but the triathletes I have seen, who do no weight training, and eat like if their cardio is the best calorie burner are not really lean and DO have cellulite...I am sorry if I am being too blunt.

florencia said:
How old are you? Tell me about your behind and fat deposits ther...Strange question I know but the triathletes I have seen, who do no weight training, and eat like if their cardio is the best calorie burner are not really lean and DO have cellulite...I am sorry if I am being too blunt.

So, you like want to know about my 29 year old booty? ;)

My booty has always been the biggest thing on my body. I had junk in the trunk since I was 13. Since I started training for triathlon, my husband says my booty has disappeared.

I don't agree, I still have some booty. Let me see what he thinks about a booty shot and I'll show you.

If there is a part of my legs I hate, it's my outer thighs. I can only see cellulite dimples on my "saddlebags" if I stand a certain way. I wouldn't say I have a cellulite booty problem though.

I'm not sure if I missed it then - are you completely done w/ your race schedule now or still have 1 race left?

If you cut your carbs & increase your protein but still continue the same race training demands, yes you are goign to run out of energy. That's the whole thing - you can only eat for what you demanding from your body. Cutting carbs is sayign you want to lose fat, but you are still training for runnning. Those two don't mix. Do you want performance or body transformation? Its like the saying - when you want something - you can get quality, price or immediate delivery - but you can only have 2 of the 3. Somewhere you have to compromise and pick what is your goal.

If you have that one last race, then continue your training for that and make sure you are eating enough carbs to fuel those demands - it was noted earlier that your current diet is probably too low to ensure optimal performance. Until you are done w/ your race goals, don't get sidetracked w/ muscle building right now,.

As soon as you are done w/ the racing season, then work on the mass building - but remember if that is your goal, then both your diet & your training need to change to achieve that goal. If you decide that you want to increase your muscle mass but still stay fast, I'm not sure how you can do that. You may be able to take a mass building phase, cut back on the cardio & eat / train to build muscle (but you will gain some fat w/ it) and then go into a cutting phase where you can work on your endurance /speed again. But there you will need to revisit your diet to make sure you are eating enough protein to preserve the mass you built up, eat enough carbs to fuel the increase in cardio and see how that works. Again those are two conflicting goals - speed & preserve muscle - so you would have to see how your body is able to do that.

As far as which type of competition you want to pursue, there I"d say you shoudl first go see some real competitions so you know what exactly you want to get into and what the competition is like - you may find you like the body type but find the competition activity to be dumb - not sayign it is, but for some it just isn't what they were looking for. Then as you develop a sense of what is involved and see how you are able to build muscle, then you can start looking further into figure or BB.

Top Bottom